“Bad hygiene & No rest”

XO Hotels Blue Tower
Ranked #180 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed July 1, 2013

First impression: When I heard about the 10 Euro deposit fee to get an iron I raised an eyebrow, when I walked in and saw someone's hair in the bathroom sink and on one of the towers it was clear -- it's probably the worst hotel I've stayed in Europe. The 25 Euro/night hostel I stayed in once in London that I had to share with 8 people was much nicer, not kidding

Noise: Probably the noisiest places I've been to. Right now it's 3PM there is hammering outside, traffic noise, and right above me it's either very old pipes or drilling construction going on. Also, last night at 1AM there were drunk girls running around the corridor and screaming. Forget about sleeping in or falling asleep

Neighbourhood: I am really surprised that no one mentioned in the reviews that this hotel is situated in a bad neighbourhood. The occasional drunk teens on a Monday I didn't mind, but gangs were a bit much

Parking: You are on your own! Parking nearby is run by a 3rd party and hotel has no liability or control over it. The concierge didn't even know the pricing. Please take note of this. As our choice of this hotel mainly relied on the fact that it has parking nearby provided by the hotel -- this was mentioned in some of the reviews, which is not true. IMPORTANT: Indoor 3rd party parking closes at 10PM ie you don't have an option for an indoor parking if you arrive later than that

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DianaTe

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel in June. What a huge disappointment! The staff on duty had a care-less attitude. No complimentary breakfast or airport shuttle. Our room had a 3 ft square post in the middle of the room. Impossible to view TV from the sitting chair. Our windows faced an office / residential building 20 ft away prompting us to keep the curtains closed 80% of the time. Based on their reward program (we are Diamond, the highest level) we asked for a complimentary room upgrade and were declined out of hand! The surrounding area was dirty, trash blowing in the wind & buildings run down. No wonder their adverts only show a picture of the top 1/3rd of the building! There are many other competitive hotels in Amsterdam & I strongly urge others to look around!

Room Tip: Find a good hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sbraybr
Reviewed June 28, 2013

There was 4 girls in our party and we opted to stay in the quadruple room with 4 single beds. We went for 3 days and 2 nights. We arrived at the hotel at around 10am but check in wasn't until 2pm but they let us check in early at NO extra cost so we could get settled before heading out. The beds were so comfy! As we're the pillows! When we arrived in Amsterdam one of our suitcases didn't make it but the hotel were in constant contact with the airport trying to find it. They also said they wouldn't charge any phone calls to our room which included a couple to The UK. They also ordered cabs for us whenever needed and always gave us information that we needed. On arrival we were told how to get to 'The Dam' which is central Amsterdam we need to get a no14 tram and was told where to get it from. The towels were cleaned every day and the maid came in everyday also. The hotel was very clean and quiet. I would say a perfect location and only about €20 in a cab from central Amsterdam. We got a tram pass which cost us €12 for 48 hours (not 2 days like in the uk) it actually starts at 1pm and ends at 1pm 2 days later! The cab from the airport was €40 which is MUCH better then the transfer prices in packages there are lots of cabs queuing up outside. If I was to go back to Amsterdam I would definitely look at staying here again. I cannot comment on the food as we ate out everyday/night :-) Enjoy!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Amymaher
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here last year with a friend for a 3 night trip; easy enough to find from the airport and very good links into the center. Tram stop is literally right outside the hotel and they run very regularly and only about 10 mins ride. We both found this a very clean hotel with nice rooms and the breakfast was very good.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Char7693
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed here for 6 nights with my husband for my birthday at the beginning of June 2013. The hotel was quite far out from the centre of Amsterdam however the public transport was great and couldn't fault it, 7.50 euros for a 24 hour travel pass, 12 euros for a 48 hour pass. You can buy a longer pass however not sure of the prices. A taxi to the airport costs 45 euros. Our hotel room was on the 8th floor, an executive double room with a bathroom, central heating and air con which you programme yourself. The bathroom was narrow and the bath itself was quite slim so if your on the heavier side then you wouldn't fit! The shower didn't go up very high on the rail so my husband had to either crouch under it or take the shower of the rail and hose himself. Be aware that for some reason the water suddenly goes very cold then extremely hot both of which my husband and I scalded ourselves! The view was great from the length of the windows so we could lie in bed and watch all the planes in the sky. The bed was super comfy and I slept like a baby. There is a kettle and tea/coffee sachets supplied to make your own. Plenty of storage and 3 mirrors. bathroom gets a little fogged up as we couldn't find an extractor fan. Windows open in the bedroom which allows a nice breeze. Elevators are small and slow. We didn't opt for the breakfast as it was 20 euros per day for the two of us and it was cheaper eating out. Plenty of shops near by, 3 supermarkets which offer great freshly baked pastries at a very cheap price, handy to buy and pop in your back for later. Not much to do around the area of the hotel so we had to stay in the main area of Amsterdam for as long as we could through the day which did get exhausting as there was no point going back to the hotel to change to head out again. Although the trams are great there was one day that took us nearly 2 hours to get back to the hotel due to the crowds and hold ups with traffic so could get very time consuming.
Overall we would probably stay more central next time and pay more just for the convenience and less travelling involved.

Room Tip: Try for a room high up for the views and all round room windows. Ask for a corner room and any deals...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DunnerScotland
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I took a 4 night stay at this Hotel. It was perfectly situated between the areas we wanted to visit (10 minute ride via local public transit) and the Airport (also, a 10 minute Cab Ride). Room was very clean, huge bathroom, space to spare in the room with 2 full beds. You couldn't find a better deal and have all that comfort. The price was amazing, and the staff spoke perfect English and communication was easy when requests were made. I plan on staying again this November!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 8, 2013

19 of us stayed here in May 2013 for a hen weekend. Upon arrival there was some confusion over our booking after 40 minutes of trying to sort the problem out and the bride in tears we went to our room not knowing how much more we were going to have to pay. I have to say the staff were the most unhelpful receptionists I have ever come across in all my years of travelling. They had no compassion and really could not have given a toss about our plight they just kept saying it wasn't their problem and we would have to take it up with our booking agents. I found our room to be very clean and comfortable, however the girls on the top floor had a problem with a sewage smell and two of them had to request a different room as it was so overpowering.The hotel is situated out of the centre and this wasn't a problem as we knew this and bought a 48 hour tram/bus pass for 12 euros at the airport which proved to be very good value.What should have been a happy trip was spoilt but the uncaring and rude reception staff, some customer care training is definitely needed!

Room Tip: Don't go on the top floor!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends