“its simple easy and cheap”

Hotel Cafe Corner House
Ranked #151 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
amsterdam
“its simple easy and cheap”
Reviewed May 30, 2009

I have been coming to this small hotel for about 10 years and it has always delivered. They have just extended and refurbished and I cannot recommend it highly enough for a quick, cheap clean get away. Open 24h, chilled out and just a happy place. Do try and get into their new rooms – 15 a is beautiful (but do take ear plugs as the trams start to roll pretty early)

The city is great and this is a perfect place to be located. 100% great for a weekend break

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank tulip238

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Odessa
Reviewed May 6, 2009

im just back from my hols in amsterdam and got to stay there. the reason to choose was the price, location and no really bad reviews on a number of forums. got to admit all good words are true. i guess for a budget hotel as its been positioned it has all hands up. their booking system is a little bit oldfashioned (big book with handwritten notes at reception/bar) but its not my business. my room was great and even facing the main street i had no problem with the outter noise, but probably those sencitive to it have to keep it in mind and get earplugs handy... no matter what i really doubt you can get similar quality for same price right in the heart of amsterdam. btw, the staff is great, friendly, always helpful and all smiles everytime i got in touch.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank drewua
Aberdeen
Reviewed April 6, 2009

My self and my friend have just stayed here for 3 nights,Having drunk in the bar several times over the years i thought i would try there rooms as they were only 35 euro for a single En suite.I was a bit worried about the reviews on here,but my moto is for this money don't expect much in return,but show them respect and you normally get it back.On arrival we were greeted by Becky..Very friendly she was too,ok so she was chuffed more Scottish People had walked in after last weekend,but that`s another story.We got our keys for room 8 and 9 3 rd floor up steep stairs (Good fun after a night out) The rooms were single En Suite and were Huge.Small cheap bed,cupboard,tv,sink,tables,chair,hairdryer,shower and toilet.Although it prob not been decorated for a while it was clean.New towels were left on the sat,but not sun/mon,no big deal.The walls are very very thin and yes you can here folk speaking etc as for the windows they were not much better.The hotel is on a busy corner and you hear trams all night,but you get used to it.On the sunday they were doing roadworks at 2am-4am right outside,so that was not great,but no fault of hotel..At night the bar closes at 2am at weekend,but you ring bell and the night porter lets you in and get your key on showing your card.check out is by 1030am and they will call you at 10am to remind you

So over hall it`s a clean,safe,friendly place with decent sized rooms right next to Dam Square from 35euro room only,loads of places local for breakfast inc Irish bars and English Bars etc

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank lfcmad2002
Halesowen
Reviewed February 21, 2009

You check-in / out in the bar on the ground floor. Payment was demanded upfront. Service was generally brusque, but not unfriendly.

The communal areas are dated, but clean. I was on the 3rd floor (4th floor for Americans) the stairs are narrow and steep, like many hotels in Amsterdam.

The rooms are also very basic, but again are clean on arrival. I spent 3 nights here and the bed wasn't made, the toilet / sink / shower weren't cleaned, but I got a clean towel every day.

All this would have been fine for the money I paid (just 35 Euros per night for a single en-suite room), except for the noise from the trams. It is extremely noisy from early morning until well gone midnight. If you are on a budget and need to stay here, invest in a pair of earplugs!

The upside of the noisy location is that you're very close to everything. 10 mins walk from Central Stn, and just a few mins walk to Dam Sq / Jordaan / Leidseplein.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank SheddyOne
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2008

My wife and I spent four nights at the Corner House over last weekend. It was our first time there but have been to Amsterdam many times always staying in budget hotels and have no complaints whatsoever about the hotel.
Check in was no problem and included a couple of complimentary beers.
The room was clean and warm with fresh towels supplied daily. It was in a great location just behind Dam square and a 10 minute walk from Central station.
I have stayed in many hotels around the world of all supposed standards and I admit I did spot a bit of paint cracking, and a small cracked tile but hey come on guys it was €60 for a clean ,warm, room, with friendly staff in the centre of a great city.
Call me a simple soul but I don't need much more in Amsterdam.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank J_Baye
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 15, 2008

I just got back from a 6 night stay at the Hotel Cafe Corner House. The check-in was simple enough, I was required to pay upfront for the 6 nights (@ 30 euros/night) and was given my key to room number 2 which is a single. The room was small and reminded me of a college dorm room. It had a single bed, a small table, a small freestanding closet, a plastic lawn chair and a sink with mirror. It was relatively clean but was a bit worn, especially the carpet. When leaving for the day you give the key to the bartender who hangs it on the wall with the other room keys. When returning you ask for your key and they are supposed to ask you for the small business card they give you upon check-in that verifies your room. This did not always happen, even when I would return and there would be some new bartender who had never seen me before and not ask to see the card. I was okay with some of the bartenders not asking me for the card because I would see them on a regular basis and they knew I was staying there. And there was one bartender who seemed intoxicated all the time who would just tell me to go behind the bar to get my key or put it back. I had an odd experience with the daily room "cleaning" where they would remake the bed, take my old towel and give a fresh towel. Some days I would have a new towel but my bed wasn't made. Some days I would have no new towel and no bed made. Some days I would have two new towels and my bed wasn't made. It was just really hit and miss and always a surprise to see what was done when I got back to the room later in the day. I don't think they ever changed the sheets either, my entire stay there. And I'm pretty sure they have never run a vacuum through there either. The shared shower and toilet were always available and were okay. On the plus side the location is fantastic and the cost for the room is reasonable. I had considered staying in a hostel, like the Bulldog, which would have cost the same amount but I didn't want to stay in a shared room so that's what pushed me to stay at Hotel Cafe Corner House. I don't think I would stay here again, it was okay, but I would be willing to pay a little bit more for a hotel that's actually a hotel.

• Liked — Location and inexpensive room rate
  • Disliked — Sporadic room cleaning, security of room keys, worn room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank creining
Beddgelert
Reviewed October 14, 2008

I stayed here for three night several weeks ago. The hotel itself is fine, if basic, great for the price. But we had a horrific experience with the barmaid, who verbally abused us and threatened my friend with pepper spray.

I made reservations directly with Theo, the owner, via e-mail, and gave him my credit card as a guarantee. So, when we checked in, and the barman didn't ask for payment up front, we just assumed that since they had our credit card details, we could pay when we checked out. Unusual for this type of establishment, but not unheard of.

On the third day, the barmaid called the room at 10:30 am and told us it was check out time. We explained we were staying another day. But when we went downstairs, she demanded we pay our bill. However, the charges were higher than what we had been told by Theo in the e-mail. When we told her this, she got this bizarre Stepford Person grin on her face, and kept insisting that we had to pay the amount she demanded, because it was written on the paper. She ignored us when we tried to show her our printed e-mails with a different rate.

She refused to phone Theo and said he would be in later, and we could talk to him about it, but we MUST pay the amount she wanted right then. We decided to pay it, as we were concerned she would go into our room and possibly damage our belongings. We also told her we wanted to have a late check out, but of course, were willing to pay for it. She then said we could only do that if we paid for a full night, and the amount she wanted to charge was again much higher than we had been quoted by Theo for one night.

When we returned that evening, the barman who had originally checked us in was there, and said not to worry, he mentioned that the barmaid was a bit crazy, and said we should wait to see Theo the next day, he would be in around 11 a.m.

Well, the next morning, psycho barmaid again called at exactly 10:30 and demanded we vacate the room. We asked her to call Theo, and she refused. We said we were going to wait in the room until Theo came. She then came charging up the stairs, banged on our door and started shouting at us that we had to get out, someone was waiting downstairs to rent the room. When we said we would stay in the room until Theo got there, she replied, "Wanna bet?" and tried to grab our suitcases. I shut the door on her, and she shouted, "You like pepper spray, [--]?"

In the end, another gentleman came up about half an hour later, with the barmaid and her Stepford grin in tow, and said he was in charge when Theo wasn't here, that he would refund the overpayment if we would please vacate the room. Which we did with pleasure.

I don't think we did anything wrong here. This woman would not listen to anything we said (she definitely understood us, her English was fine) and just had this ridiculous sickly grin on her face the entire time she was abusing us.

If not for her, I would have given this hotel four to five stars, as a basic, cheap, convenient, comfortable accommodation, But I do not appreciate being threatened, and would suggest anyone staying there stay away from the daytime bar woman.

• Liked — location, private bathroom
  • Disliked — Crazy barmaid who threatened us with pepper spray
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank WelshYank