Hotel Cafe Corner House
  • Bar/Lounge
W Amsterdam(Amsterdam)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsdam squareno liftgreat locationsteep stairslast minute bookingshort walk from the train stationquad roomstayed here for one nightfamily roomgreat showerbar downstairsboiled eggscentral hotelbreakfast includedhotel roomfive minute walkdefinitely stay here again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 30, 2008

I have stayed in many budget and non-budget hotels throughout Europe and this one was by far the WORST! Our room smelled of old, stale cigratte smoke which was absolutely horrible. It made my stomach sink each time we walked in. What was worse was the shower in the bathroom. The walls were covered with black mold spores which did not look too hard to clean (just bleach). And I was the first person to take a shower and there were long black hairs on the shower walls - YUCK! They obviously did not clean it between guests. It was the first shower to make me cringe during all my travels over the years. The hairdryer also did not work and when I called the desk to let them know they didn't have any response just that it should work if I plug it in (which I had).

Additionally, they require that you leave the key at the bar and show a card with your room number to receive your key. Well, while we were at the bar one night another guest asked for our room key and they gave it to him without asking for verification. Luckily after a few minutes he realized that it wasn't his room and asked for the correct one (this is when I realized what happened or I would have chimmed in earlier). However, it definitely let me see that our belongings were not safe.

We only stayed in this hotel for two nights, if it had been longer I would have quickly changed. Overall, I would not stay here again and wouldn't definitely never recommend it to my friends - and this is the first time I have ever said this! The location is its only plus side but you can find much better hotels for the same price (or at least clean ones). DON'T DO IT!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank mma5587
Reviewed June 10, 2008

This is a good option, if you are say stuck and looking at only high rates for the time you will be in town.

I stayed here in late May for a few days. I was charged 35Euros per night for the weekend a couple of weeks before my trip. I loved the location being just off Dam Square very central. The room was OK, clean, and big enough. I liked the views from the windows, being so central is rare for me. Honestly though with no breakfast incl. and my being a big coffee drinker, you need to add 10 Euros to this rate.

The bathroom and shower were shared. Never did I have to wait for the shower and not signigicantly for the toilet.

The atmosphere of the bar, a Dutch brown bar, I enjoyed, as I no longer go to bars in my life, so it was a nice experience, hearing the conversation, some of the folks were singing songs, and the music selection was to my liking especially later at night, alot of 60-70's songs, Dionne Warwick, etc. So this was no hassle at all for me, this noise from the bar.

Since I never sleep much when in Amsterdam I had no problems with the street noise, which is a contant all night really, tho it tapers down after about 3am or so.

Personally I was ready to retire on the hours they close the bar which is 1am weeknight and 2:30am Friday and Sat. It was shown to me how to buzz for entry after those hours. I am not sure what one would do to LEAVE the place after those hours.

To get to your room the bar man gives you the key and it's a side door and staircase. I beleive there is a outside door in that area so maybe that is how you leave the room at 2am on a Thursday night. or maybe you buzz them. It wasn't explained to me. It coud be an issue for some or even myself in the future.

They run a tight ship here and you don't have to be concerned about things like being hassled or other residents making too much noise or disturbance. My Tv was without a remote which is not a big deal. Most channels were Dutch with one or 2 from UK and CNN. good enough.

I would stay here again under the same conditions of the alternative being 85Euros a night and up, or if under severe budget constraints at all times. The owners and managers are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank Actionfilter
Reviewed April 20, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Corner House twice this year at the end of February and again in March. The cost for a double with shower was only 60 Euro per night. It is the best for this price range in the center and it is clean. No breakfast, but they served us a free drink when we arrived. All in all, we would stay here again and if the dollar remains as weak, the only choice we could probably afford anymore.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carmenrome
Reviewed April 11, 2008

basically we have been visiting this hotel for about 10 years.

It is cheap simple, clean, and wonderfully located.

Dont expect any thrills, but in short thsi place just works for a budget get away in this wonderful city.

The key is that it is open 24h a day so you can do your thing in the city and not worry about a curfew!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank abiholland
Reviewed March 25, 2008

I stayed at the Corner House over Easter weekend 2008.

After reading reviews on here I was prepared for a frosty welcome, and well my experience was fantastic. We walked in and the bar was busy with locals singing along to europop oompah type music, the bar maid beckoned us to the end of the bar, shook our hands enthusiastically and welcomed us heartily. She found us some seats and offered us a drink on the house while we filled out our guest cards. I had booked directly from the email on the website and had no problems with our booking, they were expecting us.

The rooms are all above the bar on 2 floors, our room, room 1 was directly above the centre of the bar, if you want a silent stay then i wouldnt pick that room, having said that once the bar closed at 2am (sat) / 1am it was peaceful and fine. The music starts up again at about 8.30am.

Yes the staircase is narrow and steep but if you have ever been in any dutch building you will know this is the norm, and this one was better than many i encountered! What do you expect in a tall narrow old building!?!
The room was VERY basic, 2 low single beds, a sink in the corner, and a TV. The shower and toilet facilities are shared and a little chilly at this time of year! Make sure you arent last one into the shower on a busy bank holiday weekend- there was no hot water left!

This is sounding very negative and it shouldnt be. These are the only down points. The Corner house has so many good points and reasons to stay!

It is VERY cheap, we paid 70 euros a night over easter weekend for the room not Per person. The next cheapest 1 star central hotel was over 90. Yes it is basic and old fashioned but it is very clean.

The location has to be its biggest selling point, you really couldnt get more central if you tried in my opinion, you are 10 min walk from Anne Franks House, right on Dam Square and 2 mins from the shops. A 5 min walk from the famous red light area and everything is within reach in a few minutes really. It took us 15 mins to walk up from the station with our bags.
If you dont want to walk, Trams stop outside the hotel at Dam stop.

The drinks in the bar were also the cheapest we found in the weekend and the bar has a lovely atmosphere with varied and eclectic music, from Queen to the grease megamix and traditional Dutch oompah sounding stuff! It was great and everyone was friendly.

The barmaid let us leave our bags down in their cellar for the day as we had to be out at 10.30am but our flight wasnt till the evening, very handy!

I think that is everything. To sum up, be prepared for a lively bar, clean but basic room, fantastic location and lovely people.

Any questions please ask. x

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends