“Not worth the money”

Ranked #153 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Edinburgh
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I normally am of the view "you get what you pay for" but not on this occasion - a group of us were booked in here but did not stay in the end - some rooms lovely and fresh but one very smelly as was the stairwell. It is not expensive but it is also not cheap so would've expected better for money - good location but there is better to be had if you shop around which we did

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Richmond
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We did not stay at the hotel, but dined at the cafe and it was one of the best (and most reasonably priced) meals we had over our week stay. The baked mussels and the veal were done perfectly and the wait staff were attentive and friendly. The only "problem" was that we had to find the waitress to get our check...no rush here! We stayed about a block away and tried many area restaurants, but this is the place I would return to first.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Booked 2 "basic" rooms for one night for a stag weekend;
Excellent position just round the corner from Dam;
Very friendly staff, accommodated an early arrival to drop off bags before heading into town;
Rooms very basic, we experienced no hot running water to the room and WC; but beds very comfortable.
Night porter available for late night / early morning returns;
Suitable for groups just needing a bed to sleep & store baggage.
Single glazed windows overlooking tramlines and bus route;
Cafe acceptable but no worse than rest of Amsterdam.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Hotel was in a good location, but that was about it.

Room I was in was on the top floor out of reach for the Wi-Fi. There were no lifts and would have been a nightmare for a disabled person. Room looked like a converted cupboard. It was as long as the bed and no more. The TV had no remote and the wire was hanging off the wall. Only had one shower the whole week as the it was of a low quality provision. The light constantly flickered and there was not even a shelf in the room to put your clothes on. The Toilet had no hand basin. It had a double door that had no lock on. Strangely enough there was a frosted window that someone could view who was in the shower from the toilet and vice versa. No one cleaned the toilet during the last 3 days (believe me I could tell - there are ways!) Hall way on the fourth floor had a massive beam cutting through it so it meant a person could not walk in a straight line along the passage. You had to turn sideways. Key had to be left at the bar each time you left and there was no safety deposit facilities. My window on the roof window was propped open by a shampoo bottle. This meant someone could walk in from the roof outside and entered the room. The room had a cupboard and there was a mysterious door that was locked.

Just a very dated hotel that need some serious investment.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor. Rooms 11, 12 and 14.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank charlie0207
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2011

After reading the previous reviews I wasn't really sure what to expect. First, the best thing about this hotel is that it is less than a 10 minute walk from Central Station and Dam Square is a couple of minutes around the corner. The member of staff who greeted me was friendly and was actually expecting me. I paid 70 euros for 2 nights accomodation and even got a receipt which is like a little card with your check in and check out dates and which you need to gain access after hours.

So, what did I get for 35 euros a night? I asked for a room with a view and when I booked the booking confirmation said I had a private bathroom. Well, my single room was right on the top on the fourth floor - actually the attic. The room was basic with a sink and I even got a towel and soap. There was a TV which switched on but had no aerial. There were 2 small angled windows in the roof, neither had curtains and the latch on 1 window was broken and the window was held open with a small plank of wood.

On the 4th floor was one other room and we had to share a toilet and shower. The toilet was clean and had paper, but the light in the shower wouldn't turn on properly and the door didn't lock. The stairs from the ground floor were very steep. The hotel staff were always friendly when I saw them but I didn't think it was worth complaining about the defects in my room.

I'd only recommend this hotel from people on a very tight budget who don't expect luxury, and I wouldn't pay more than 35 euros a night, because for the location you can't complain.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
London
Reviewed May 23, 2011

We knew we'd made a mistake when we were greeted by the barman with a rude: "We're full!!" When I told him we had a reservation he told me to "wait 5 minutes" with no apology. As we made our way up the vinyl tatty staircase I already knew we had paid way over the odds (about £135) for our double room. The room itself was clean-ish but otherwise very grotty and it took us ages to get the door to close! Then there was no loo roll in the toilet. The overhead lighting was so dim you couldn't read by it and the side lamp did not work. There was no soap and no glass or plastic cups to drink from. I've had better rooms in Egypt for £10 a night! And breakfast in the cafe below was also overpriced and very poor. Avoid!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AliceCristal
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed May 17, 2011

I've stayed here 3 times and I would recommend this place for travelers on a budget. location is good, about 2 blocks from dam square, 3 blocks from the red light district, and a 10 min. walk to central station. rooms are spartan but clean and available with or without private bath. be aware that rooms are located above the cafe/pub that also serves a the hotel office. after pub hours you must knock at the door to gain access to your room. the staff is very friendly (except for one broad with an attitude) also note that there is no elevator and no bell staff, so you will have tote your own luggage up a narrow staircase. This is not the hotel Krasnapolsky, ( I've stayed there) but you can stay here for a week for the cost of 1 night at the kras.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple