“Michelle is a sweetheart”

and 1 more site!
Royal Taste Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #234 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Michelle is a sweetheart”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

If you are not a prissy traveler who values location, casual atmosphere & friendly staff over luxury, this is your place.
Michelle, the day manager, is just really welcoming & genuine.
Room 4 looked out on the canal, great view. Sparse but adequate & clean. Tad noisy some nights with revelers, bring earplugs if you gotta get to sleep before midnight.
Not a hotel for kids & family, it's the red light district afterall, but great price & ambience for those who like to be in the heart of things & have a more casual boutique hotel experience.
Fun for a young couple, gay or straight, or the young at heart.

Room Tip: If you want quiet rather than a view ask to be on back side of hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Indonesian first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I only stayed 1 night here before heading to the south of the Netherlands, but this hotel would be ideal for a stay of 2 or 3 nights or longer. I have been to Amsterdam several times before and this has got to be the best budget hotel I have stayed in, mainly for the location right in the centre of the RLD. But don't let that put you off!

I arrived at 9.30pm and checked in straight away at the hotel bar on the ground floor. My single room (50 euros p/night) was on the top floor at the back and, like other small hotels I have stayed in in Amsterdam, there is no lift and the stairs are very steep.

The room was small but had a desk, wardrobe and a TV. You have to pay a 20 euro refundable deposit for the TV remote. The room was clean, warm and, despite the hustle and bustle and noise on the streets outside, very quiet. I reckon if you have a room at the front of the hotel it would be noisy!

I shared a toilet/shower on the small landing with one other room which wasn't a problem.

When I visit Amsterdam again this will be the first hotel I will check for availability.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank matt_pool
lancashire
Reviewed October 2, 2012

the staff where welcoming, in a good location, room basic but priced the same as hotels that are located away from the centre and as a very small but private bathroom. shower was a nice size but sink must be the smallest one i have seen. Nice bar below for watching people walk by. Would recommend for a basic no frills place to stay with its own bathroom in the centre.
The stairs are extremely steep so take care.Please note that they lock the doors about 2.00am
when the bar closes after that you need to ring the bell.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My friend and I stayed for three nights at this hotel. It has a great location and friendly staff. The stairs are quite steep, but it is Amsterdam! We were assigned Room 8 - which was bright, well decorated, and we thought it to be quite a bargain for what we paid.

The only problem is that I woke up each morning with a few more red bites on me. Around a dozen in all. I'm thinking bedbugs.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank spinst
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Situated in the heart of Amsterdams red light district is this small budget hotel. It advertises itself as a budget hotel so if you book here and then expect more, you're going to be disappointed.
The rooms were clean and had everything I needed for my stay and the staff were very helpful.
My only issue with this hotel was actually finding it in the first place!! A 5 minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal Station, yes, but it helps to know the way. It took me an hour and 2 taxi driver to find it in the end. After 6pm, some streets in the red light district become only accessable to pedestrians which meant no cars could go down then, so I had to wander the streets with my luggage for quite a while. I suppose that isn't necessarily the hotels fault but people be warned.
I'd go back, now I know the way ;) but it is right on the street and the noise can get loud, although it didn't bother me at night.

• Stayed May 2012
Earth
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I booked a twin room (90 euro per night) for me and my friend for 4 nights. Late check-in around midnight was not a problem. We were surprised on arrival cause our room was huge (3 windows) with a wardrobe (so many hangers!!!), a table and 2 armchairs, 2 big comfortable beds, a fridge, tv and ensuite bathroom. Linen was fresh and clean. Towels, shampoo and shower gel every day.
Location was great in the very center of Red Light District and close to the Central train station.
Yep, stairs were scary steep, so just be careful.
Special tip from me: if you're fond of chinese cuisine go to the street with nice chinese restaurants behind the corner on the right if you come out of the hotel :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank GaeaGaia
London
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Only stayed the one night. I know the area and it's accommodation well. The Royal Taste is one of the better cheap tourist hotels in an area where they can be really squalid. Had a single room with en-suite. Room had bare floor boards, which I thought a bit odd, though it mean no black feet off the dirty carpet after a shower. Bathroom was fine and clean. Slept well, even though I could hear my neighbour snoring through the wall.
Reception is at the ground floor bar where the staff are friendly, if preoccupied. Smoking seemed to be allowed.
There is no lift and the stairs are a bit precarious.

Room Tip: I had room 7 which had little noise from outside in a very lively area.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo