“Very central and affordable”

and 1 more site!
Royal Taste Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #228 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Very central and affordable”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I only stayed 1 night here before heading to the south of the Netherlands, but this hotel would be ideal for a stay of 2 or 3 nights or longer. I have been to Amsterdam several times before and this has got to be the best budget hotel I have stayed in, mainly for the location right in the centre of the RLD. But don't let that put you off!

I arrived at 9.30pm and checked in straight away at the hotel bar on the ground floor. My single room (50 euros p/night) was on the top floor at the back and, like other small hotels I have stayed in in Amsterdam, there is no lift and the stairs are very steep.

The room was small but had a desk, wardrobe and a TV. You have to pay a 20 euro refundable deposit for the TV remote. The room was clean, warm and, despite the hustle and bustle and noise on the streets outside, very quiet. I reckon if you have a room at the front of the hotel it would be noisy!

I shared a toilet/shower on the small landing with one other room which wasn't a problem.

When I visit Amsterdam again this will be the first hotel I will check for availability.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank matt_pool

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Indonesian first
lancashire
Reviewed October 2, 2012

the staff where welcoming, in a good location, room basic but priced the same as hotels that are located away from the centre and as a very small but private bathroom. shower was a nice size but sink must be the smallest one i have seen. Nice bar below for watching people walk by. Would recommend for a basic no frills place to stay with its own bathroom in the centre.
The stairs are extremely steep so take care.Please note that they lock the doors about 2.00am
when the bar closes after that you need to ring the bell.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My friend and I stayed for three nights at this hotel. It has a great location and friendly staff. The stairs are quite steep, but it is Amsterdam! We were assigned Room 8 - which was bright, well decorated, and we thought it to be quite a bargain for what we paid.

The only problem is that I woke up each morning with a few more red bites on me. Around a dozen in all. I'm thinking bedbugs.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank spinst
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Situated in the heart of Amsterdams red light district is this small budget hotel. It advertises itself as a budget hotel so if you book here and then expect more, you're going to be disappointed.
The rooms were clean and had everything I needed for my stay and the staff were very helpful.
My only issue with this hotel was actually finding it in the first place!! A 5 minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal Station, yes, but it helps to know the way. It took me an hour and 2 taxi driver to find it in the end. After 6pm, some streets in the red light district become only accessable to pedestrians which meant no cars could go down then, so I had to wander the streets with my luggage for quite a while. I suppose that isn't necessarily the hotels fault but people be warned.
I'd go back, now I know the way ;) but it is right on the street and the noise can get loud, although it didn't bother me at night.

• Stayed May 2012
Earth
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I booked a twin room (90 euro per night) for me and my friend for 4 nights. Late check-in around midnight was not a problem. We were surprised on arrival cause our room was huge (3 windows) with a wardrobe (so many hangers!!!), a table and 2 armchairs, 2 big comfortable beds, a fridge, tv and ensuite bathroom. Linen was fresh and clean. Towels, shampoo and shower gel every day.
Location was great in the very center of Red Light District and close to the Central train station.
Yep, stairs were scary steep, so just be careful.
Special tip from me: if you're fond of chinese cuisine go to the street with nice chinese restaurants behind the corner on the right if you come out of the hotel :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank GaeaGaia
London
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Only stayed the one night. I know the area and it's accommodation well. The Royal Taste is one of the better cheap tourist hotels in an area where they can be really squalid. Had a single room with en-suite. Room had bare floor boards, which I thought a bit odd, though it mean no black feet off the dirty carpet after a shower. Bathroom was fine and clean. Slept well, even though I could hear my neighbour snoring through the wall.
Reception is at the ground floor bar where the staff are friendly, if preoccupied. Smoking seemed to be allowed.
There is no lift and the stairs are a bit precarious.

Room Tip: I had room 7 which had little noise from outside in a very lively area.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank tw25rw
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Myself and my girlfriends dad booked to stay at this hotel for one night on a short weekend trip to Amsterdam. Firstly, we were on a budget and were not looking for anything luxury, just a place to sleep. If you want to stay in the heart of Amsterdam, in a basic, clean and comfortable room then this hotel is perfect! When you come to Amsterdam for only two days you should be out sight seeing...not sitting in your hotel room watching T.V!

Before booking you should be aware that it literally is on the red light district and it is noisy. Not in periods, not in short bursts, CONSTANT noise as the red light district starts to get busy at night, right through to about six in the morning. For us this didn't matter, as after a long day of travelling and sight seeing we were able to sleep through this. It is one of those scenarios; common sense is to realise it is on the red light district, you know it before you go, do not whinge about the noise when you get there.

Had a straight forward check in process, walked in to the bar, got the key and paid. Each time you want to leave the room you hand the key back to the bar maid and request it upon your arrival. Simple. The room isn't fantastic but you get what you pay for. Beds were quite low, a bit like a futon, but comfy enough. Really suprised when we got there and found that it wasn't shared bathroom and shower facilities, you get a key for your own bathroom as well which was literally two steps across the corridor from our room. REALLY steep stairs..... I would say if you are disabled or have any problems with mobility this hotel is not for you.

Overall, the above disadvantages didn't bother us in the slightest. It really depends on the person and their circumstances but if I go on a similar trip to Amsterdam again I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends