“Comfortable and just right!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blaine's B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Blaine's B&B
Ranked #118 of 329 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Cork, Ireland
“Comfortable and just right!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

I flew in from Eire and stayed at Blaine's with a friend from Michigan- we drove from Schipol ( easy enough to find, not too far from the centraal). We found Peter and Blaine to be friendly and very informed hosts.The breakfasts were lovely and the room was comfortable. If you are not picky with shared bathrooms you should be okay. You can comfortably take trams to the central part of the city. This portion of the city is nice too with small little coffee places and eateries for quick bites at walking distances.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
abq
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

If you're a bit repulsed by a town with such a high percentage of tourists to "real" people, Blaine's makes a perfect in-town get-away. Peter and Blaine are hard-working hosts who have created a pleasant, relaxing place to stay, both literally and psychologically far away from Amsterdam Centraal, the Red Light District and other zaniness.

The rooms (I was in "Asian") are fun, adventurous, but not so special that one is afraid to touch anything. I had a view of a canal (imagine that?) and spent significant time just watching the cyclists go by the rather quiet street. And it's the quiet that I think you'll most enjoy at Blaine's. That and the breakfast, which are, quite obviously, made by professional chefs. I had a killer Eggs Benedict on my last of three mornings, along with always interesting conversation with Peter about what it means to be Dutch, and Blaine about what it means to be a Texan in Amsterdam.

If you want to be in the middle of the so-called action, maybe Blaine's isn't for you, but it worked quite, quite well for me. One other note: if you're not used to the "shared bathroom" concept, you'll hardly notice that you're in one at Blaine's. The number sharing is low, and it was never an issue.

Room Tip: The "Asian" worked well for me.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

I had a terrible experience in Amsterdam but a wonderful experience at Blaine's B&B. My backpack was stolen on the train from Brussels to Amsterdam and had to leave there earlier than I had planned, but Peter gave me so much help even if i could only stay there for one night. He was so kind to pick me up from near the train station and drive me to the b&b altho he was very busy with stuff in his restaurant. I felt so lucky to stay(altho only for one night) at Blaine's B&B where everything is just so comfortable and clean like at home. The apartment is not in the center but located in a nice, quiet and safe residential area, about 20 mins to the dam square by tram which also gives you the chance to sightsee the city. The breakfast is nicely prepared with everything fresh. Thanks to Peter and his b&b that make you feel so welcome and comfortable, my stay in Amsterdam has something more to remember. I'll definitely recommend Blaine's B&B to anyone. One last suggestion, always keep a close eye on your luggage!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

Very nice b&b, Peter and Blain are wonderful innkeepers. The breakfast was rather good and location is not far from city centre. There is only one thing I would like to improve - shower looks like to be pretty old, it would be better to change it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marianna_Smolina
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

I am a pretty picky traveler, OK a VERY picky traveler. I booked Blaine's based on the other Trip Advisor reviews. I wasn't disappointed! Blaine and Peter are great hosts. The B&B is in a residential area about 4 or 5 tram stops from the museums and a few more to central Amsterdam. I was comfortable walking from the tram to the B&B late at night (about a 10 minute walk). The B&B is clean and comfortable. In fact the bed was super comfy and I slept well (unusual for me when traveling). The breakfast was delicious with meat, cheese, yoghurt, and for me the highlight, really wonderful croissants. I stayed in the Asian room which faces south and has a view of a canal - lovely. I appreciated having a reading light available as well as a hair dryer.

It was chilly when I visited in April, so I didn't get to enjoy the roof patio. Hopefully I will return when the weather is warmer and enjoy a glass of wine with my gracious hosts Blaine & Peter (Ferri & Roxy too).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank kodea
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

We found this on Trip Advisor after failing to book a family room at a hostel, and we're so glad we did, as it wasn't that much more expensive and has the atmosphere of a friendly boutique hotel. Our party of 4 stayed for 3 nights in the loft, which worked very well as there is a comfortable sofa-bed in the downstairs lounge area and a fixed double bed on the mezzanine above which is also wonderfully comfortable. A patio-door opens out onto a roof garden with comfortable seating and a fountain, which was a great spot for a morning or evening coffee.

The breakfasts are fabulous, with freshly prepared fruit, yoghurt, meats and cheeses, fresh-baked rolls and croissants, jams and butter, and all very high-quality delicious stuff. The hosts Blaine and Peter sat with us over breakfast and helped us with ideas for the day and tips (like visiting the Van Gogh museum on a Friday evening to avoid the queues), and genuinely seemed to enjoy their role, which made for a great atmosphere that had all the guests lingering over their meal.

There are several flights of stairs to get up to the B&B, but that was fine for our party. There are also pets - Roxy the dog, and a ginger cat, but although some of us have allergies, we weren't troubled by them at all as neither had access to our room and the place was very clean. The tram into the city centre took around 20 minutes to get to the station, but they are frequent, and it's only a stop or two to reach the Vondelpark.

Room Tip: The loft is a perfect room for a party of 4 with direct access to an attractive roof garden terrace.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
paphos cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

We felt so welcomed on arrival at Blaine's B&B and that feeling continued throughout our stay. The B&B is close to the tram service which takes you straight to the town centre. The house situated by the canal in a nice quiet area was clean, warm and homely and the room was lovely and spacious and comfortable with it's own verandah. Breakfast in the mornings was such a relaxed affair.....all residents took time to enjoy this meal and our hosts sat with us and provided us with anything we needed to know for our day out and about Amsterdam. It was a lovely start to the day. The family pets even joined us. We would have no hesitation in recommending this B+B to family and friends.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple