Hotel Alfa Plantage
$256
$905
$347
  • Restaurant
Hotel Van Gogh(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$132
$89
Hostelworld.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Stayed at the hotel for 3 nights with 3 friends in twin bedded rooms. The rooms were fairly basic but very clean with good size bathrooms and our rooms were definately a decent size. Doesn't offer breakfast but we didn't find this a problem as there is a super cafe directly opposite. For us the location couldn't have been better. About 15/20 minute walk into the centre (10 euros by taxi) so close enough to get to easily but far enough out that we werent troubled by noise. Would definately stay again.

Room Tip: We were in rooms 14 and 22 and both were good sizes and both had nice view over the road and cafe
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank alisonjane39
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The best thing about Alfa Plantage is the location. Within 2 blocks to any direction you choose to walk when you get out of it you will find the Artis Zoo, the Hortus, the best coffeeshop in town (Het Ballonnetje) and several cafes, bars and restaurants. Though it is a little bit far from the Centraal Station, there is a Tram stop (lines 9 and 4) literally in front of the building. The room we got (the very same #15 other people are complaining about) was pretty good: clean, quiet and with a very good bathroom. The only thing I didn't like was the wifi, because it didn't work all the time (altough sometimes it did).

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kidids
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Be Prepared for a Miniature Room if you get #15. Have to say that first. My girlfriend and I stayed for two nights to the tune of 158 euros total through booking.com. I diligently went over the reviews on this site and left thinking it would be an average room at best. IT IS NOT WORTH IT. YOU CAN DO BETTER, JUST BE PREPARED TO HUNT. Now, on to the positives; the bathroom was clean. The reception people were helpful for the most part but uninformed on certain key points. There is a brewery down the road from the hotel that is built into a windmill. It is cool spot and we asked the reception guy, a young person with hipster glasses, "what time does it close?" He told us not till late, 10 or 11 p.m. Turns out it closed at 8 on that particular night. We never made it inside or had one of their tasty beverages. It left a bad taste, no pun intended. Another good point to mention is that the hotel is in a quiet neighborhood. And there is a real cool bar just next door on Plantage steet. There are locals inside, and tables outside and it seems like everyone has to smoke in order to occupy them. But the music has a cool vibe and the bartender speaks some English. My girlfriend and I got our beers and just sat back and soaked it all in. It was one of the more memorable moments of our time in Amsterdam. Now back to the doll's house they call a hotel...the room is small, and when I say "SMALL," I mean s-m-a-l-l. I am sorry, but I have to keep emphasizing this. I am six feet four and have never been in prison or arrested, but staying in this property gave the feeling of solitary confinement. I think backpackers who stay in hostels have more room to leisurely enjoy their private or communal surroundings. I have read the reviews from others, and I understand that people just like to complain because they are given a forum. But TWO people should not be staying in what they consider a "double room." There may be two small beds in the room, but this room is not meant for two people. Both people cannot move about the room. One person has to lie on the bed or go for a smoke break in order for the other person to move about. I won't use the term "freely" because of the cell like confines, but you get the gist. One thing to note, we stayed in room #15. There is no phone in this room. I am not sure if there are phones in any of the rooms. But you should know that you cannot receive a wake up call. Without an alarm clock we had to ask the reception person to come knock on our door as a kind of wake up call. He obliged but it is just a budget situation that left us scratching our heads. One good thing is that no one is getting in there that does not belong. You have to walk by the reception area to get inside to the rooms, and this is a kind of security check so that no freaks or hairies gains access. Only stay here if you are a firm believer and understand wholeheartedly the concept of "Europe Small.'

Room Tip: if they try and place u in room #15, beg for a room change, or pony up the cash and see if they will upgrade you to a nicer room
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Discerning_Eye_USA
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Very friendly and helpful staff
Quiet but has a bar, kebab shop, chinese , cash point and tram stop all virtually on the doorstep.
I thought it was very good
room 41 is quirky but we had the best sleeps ever

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2011

The hotel was ok, 15 minutes away from the Dam, very nice staff, tram station right there and even had an elevator (quite a small one, but it was perfect for 2-3 persons). I didn't like that we stayed there for 3 nights and the room was not cleaned at all, no changed sheets, no vacuum.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple