“Great Hotel, with Scrupulously Clean Rooms”

Hotel The Golden Bear
Ranked #298 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Great Hotel, with Scrupulously Clean Rooms”
Reviewed September 15, 2007

Due to a large convention in Amsterdam, I was unable to secure rooms for more than 1-2 nights at any hotel. I found the Hotel Golden Bear through [--]. The hotel is near the Rijk Museum and close to the Leidseplein. Tram 1 and 5 from AMS Central Station runs right near the hotel, a 10 minute tram at the most. I was only able to get 2 nights at this hotel, and paid 100 Euros per night for a room with twin beds and private bath. The room was large, incredibly clean, comfortable and well appointed. The TV worked very well, the room also had a DVD player and radio. Toiletries were provided. The view was of a courtyard below. The hotel is on a quiet sleep, with little noise. The bed(s) were very good, the linens very good quality – and I slept very well. Breakfast was served in a room on the main floor off reception. Each guest is served separately with a plate of cheese, meat, coffee, breads etc. It is ample. Hotel staff was very helpful and approachable. I would definitely stay here again – it was a pleasant stay.

• Liked — Location, room cleanliness and furnishings
  • Disliked — Typical Holland spiral stairs are steep and narrow
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank CanadianBoys

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 10, 2007

Was looking for convenient, gay friendly place to stay for myself and a guy friend. Did an internet search for gay friendly Amsterdam lodging. It was easy to contact/pay online; response to my emails within 24 hours. The Hotel Golden Bear is located on a quiet street near the Leidsestraat, a major road with trendy and regular shops, fancy and pedestrian restaurants and both exclusive and inexpensive hotels. Dam Square is a 20 minute walk to the northeast and the Rijksmuseum is a 20 minute stroll to the southwest. Some rooms were being renovated and was originally told I might have to stay in a smoking room (which I did not want to do). Then I got a response informing me no matter what, I would get a no smoking room. Arrived to a typical multi-floor Amsterdam townhouse after taking a cab from the train station. The receptionist welcomed us and we put away our luggage until our room was ready (we had arrived at 10 am from Houston). The reception area and breakfast room were pleasant and we looked through tourist brochures that were available. We later walked up the small, spiral stairs (similar to those found on a ship). It was a bit difficult to move our bags up the stairway due to the space; however, when we got to our rooms we were very pleased. We were on the third floor and we had a shared shower and toilet on the second floor. The whole facility was very clean ... always with soap, toilet paper, beds made, etc. Each room was a nice size and had a double bed, tv, wash basin, closet, desk and chair. They were painted colorfully and had trendy Ikea-style furniture. My window looked to a wall but still allowed for nice cool air from the outside. My friend's looked to a courtyard below. The morning inclusive meal was hearty enough and consisted of meats, cheeses, rolls, toast, juice, coffee and other items. The receptionists were always helpful when giving us directions to places such as the drug store, restaurants, bars, the trolleys, etc. The price was reasonable and again, good location.

• Liked — Great location and price, nice room size, pleasant staff and overall cleanliness.
  • Disliked — The traditional stars were very steep and there was a bit of mold in the closet (due to the damp Amsterdam weather).
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank justbstx
Minneapolis
Reviewed July 21, 2007

There are probably better deals in Amsterdam. The hotel was just OK. The beds were quite comfortable and the room spacious. David at the front desk was wonderfully friendly and helpful. Breakfast was only average--definitely nothing to write home about.
The stairs are definitely a challenge to anyone with large bags. We were carrying large duffels of sport equipment and it was everything we could do to get them up and down the steep, narrow spiral staircase. Definitely a hazard to older travellers or anyone with limited mobility.
The hotel is conveniently located steps away from a tram line and within easy walking distace of museums and many restaurants and shops. If you stay here definitely check out the Spijker Bar just down the street and say hello to Tim the bartender! He offers great advice on what to see and do in Amsterdam!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The stairs
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Escena
san francisco
Reviewed April 18, 2007

My gf and I stayed there for a week and had the best time on our vacation. Alex and the staff were wonderful and helpful with our excursions and other recommendations. Our room was very comfortable and quiet. If you want to be in a central location, then this is the hotel for you.

• Liked — Staff
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 4, 2007

I stayed three nights at the Golden Bear in Amsterdam. Centrally located, the hotel is an excellent choice for their special nich market. The rooms were very clean and everything worked. The continental breakfast was a nice start for the day and the informed staff were always ready to help. I accidently left my agenda/datebook and with one call from the airport everything was arranged for the return to me in the States. I will most definately stay at the Golden Bear again when I visit Amsterdam

Stayed April 2007
4 Thank whitedachshund
bracknell
Reviewed March 16, 2007

We had a great stay at The Golden Bear.
Our room was comfortable and clean.
The staff are friendly and helpful.
We'll definately be staying here again on our next trip to Amsterdam.
Bob Mitchell & Adey Steer

• Liked — The cleanliness of the room and the friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smprods
Plano
Reviewed December 24, 2006

I could not find Golden Bear until now. First of all thank you to the receptionist for going out of his way to help me get out of the hell hole I was in at the time (see my review on the Aero Hotel). I dont understand some of the negatives I have been reading . Unless the hotel has changed drastically since I stayed there a year ago. I tried to stay there again this year, but alas, they were booked solid for my visit dates. I must say that the two rooms I stayed in were the cleanest (especially the bathroom) I have seen in Europe or the US. There were no smoke odors-just a clean (soap and water) smell. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were quiet. I was quite rested each morning. The breakfast was basic dutch--very acceptable. As for the drunk leaving the door unlocked--thats your own fault--you are in Europe--mama's not here to hold your hand--you must be responsible for your own safety.

• Liked — really, really clean--very impressive. Friendly staff
  • Disliked — not a problem for me. but would be a difficult stay for the disabled
  • Tips/Secrets — book as far ahead as possible--hotel booked on most weekends.
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled solo