Hotel The Golden Bear
citizenM Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$145
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel The Exchange(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$211
$179
Agoda.com
XO Hotels Couture(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$153
$134
Lloyd Hotel(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$120
$101
  • Restaurant
Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$159
$144
  • Restaurant
WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$224
$144
  • Pool
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$140
$124
Volkshotel(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$114
$101
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgay hotelsteep stairstop floorshared bathroomlocation was perfectdam squareleidseplein
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I would highly recommend staying at The Golden Bear. I stayed in a room with a wash basin (shared shower and toilet). The room was very clean, with provided sheets/towels and a kettle and coffee/tea supplies. The staff on reception were helpful and the breakfast was good too. The location is also excellent. One word of warning, the stairs up to the rooms are seriously steep.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 17, 2012

A lovely little hotel, pretty no frills but I gave it five stars in every category because it was perfect for my needs - nice, comfortable rooms, relaxed and friendly staff and a great breakfast. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Daniel C
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Hotel is located right in the gay village. Great location, Staff are very friendly.Room are clean and nice but when booking be carefully because the price of the room depends on the services (bathroom and shower) you want in your room unless you wanna share. There is no elevator and stairs are narrow and difficult to climb. for the price I paid I would 've stayed at a different hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Starting with the Pros. The location is EXCELLENT. It is very easy to get to from Centraal Station. It is not directly outside the door from Centraal Station thus prices tend to be lower in the area (when measured by coffee shop prices).

I have stayed in Amsterdam before and have never had a room the size of the one I got here...it was huge (relative to those I have stayed in while visiting Amsterdam). The one problem was that it was in the 80's when visiting and there is no AC thus it was very hot and muggy in the room.

The room shared a toilet and shower with the others on the floor. The shower room smelled so bad it was difficult to get into.

The service was ok.....sometimes excellent, sometimes surly.

The worst part of the place is the internet. Over the span of three days there were only a couple of times I could connect on both my Ipad and laptop and those times I was kicked off shortly thereafter by the server.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the street and if you aren't in shape or fit, you may want to ask for one of the bottom floor rooms as the steps are very steep.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in The Golden Bear for 3 nights & was pleasantly surprised. Lots of budget hotels to chose from all with mixed reviews so took a gamble on this one and it paid off.
Although this is a gay hotel with mostly older gay male clientele, we are a straight young couple in our 20s and we fitted in fine. Lovely location in the middle of everything, follow the tram line to Dam Sqaure takes about 10 minutes by foot or hop on a canal bus/tram and get there in 2 minutes.
We wanted to be closer to Dam Sq but were glad we chose this hotel as it was nearer all the chic shops and nice boutiques and wasn't really noisy in the nights even though there was lots going on.
Don't know why a few reviews say the staff need customer service training... David at reception was fab and drew us directions on a map. The owner was pleasent and let us leave our bags in reception after checking out, we were really happy with the service. Clean towels every day, clean rooms, shared toilets were lovely and clean. Nice basic budget hotel.
Brekkie was toast, crackers, malt loaf, ham and cheese with a large variety of spreads. In all really happy with the hotel when taking into account cost, location and cleanliness. Would definitely stay there again when I return to Amsterdam.

Tips to first time visitors of Amstetdam like we were - take sensible walking shoes!! My feet were cut to pieces because we walked everywhere, there is so much do and see. Visit the zoo, best zoo ever they have a massive variety of animals and a huge aquarium. Take a sat nav, I downloaded a Netherlands sat nav free on my iPhone off the apps store and it was a god send. All the streets look the same in Amsterdam and its really easy to get lost. Maps are confusing as its so hard to tell if your facing north! Don't be surprised by steep stairs, it's the same everywhere in Amsterdam.
Enjoy your trip x