Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
$276
$255
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $285/night.

The Toren(Amsterdam)
$536
$360
4,232 results
All reviewsfree mini barwellness centreshipping houseelectric curtainssuperior deluxe roomshipping companycentral stationsteam roomrestocked dailytrouser pressnespresso machinespa areaseparate showercity viewthe red light districtunique hotelremote control
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor before, but have always consulted the website when I am planning a trip. After my stay at the Amrath, I am compelled to alert potential visitors that this is in no way a five star hotel. I guess it's ok when you consider the prices they offer for their rooms... but the condition of the hotel, the location, the amenities and, above all, the service is not of five star quality.
When I am sharing a hotel with a lot of guests who are just in Amsterdam to visit the red light district, get high in their room and run out for munchies, something is not right... the location stinks. If you can walk to your hotel from the train station, you know it is not in a good location.
The staff was poorly trained and I think overall, the hotel was understaffed. There were many times when my husband and I were in the lobby and no one was to be found.
Luckily, we were able to get a fan after a few nights bad sleep because the room was incredibly stuffy and hot- you can only change the room temp by 3 degrees in either direction.
Whoever doles out hotel stars needs to reconsider the Amrath's ranking. I know they have a "fitness center", a business center, pool, etc. but you only need to spend one night at this hotel to realize that the Amrath should not be listed in the top category of hotels in Amsterdam.

Reviewed July 15, 2010

Husband, daughter and I stayed here for two nights mid-June. I got a good rate off of Hotwire ($129 + tax for double room, $105 + tax for single room, per night). This rate was only available for weeknights, not weekends.

I was really looking forward to staying here, based on the reviews. I guess, though, that I'm just not that big a fan of the architecture. Interesting building from the outside and in the lobby, bar and restaurant areas, but once you get into the hallways and the rooms themselves, nothing special. I personally thought the hallways looked a little depressing. Hard to find your way around, also. Rooms were average size for european hotels. Very nice bathrooms, except for the fact that there's not a real door between the room & bathroom, just a frosted glass panel, and no separate door for the toilet area. Not much on privacy :)
Beds were o.k., but not great (not a "heavenly" mattress, if you know what i mean, but o.k.). I wasn't that impressed with the free mini-bar either. There were one or two bottles each of small wine, beer and water bottles. As far as snacks, forget it. They provide one bag of stale peanuts (really stale!), and one very hard nougat bar. They really shouldn't advertise that they offer snacks in the mini-bar, with a selection like that. Free internet, but complicated system to get it. We had to call the front desk, and for some reason, they wouldn't give us a code over the phone - we had to wait for someone to show up with the code in writing. Which they didn't do for a half hour - which was too long for it to be useful in looking up where we were going that evening. The bar area was nice and cozy. Expensive of course, and the drinks weren't very good (gin & tonics). We didn't eat at the restaurant, so can't comment.
I will say, it was nice and quiet, so that was greatly appreciated. The staff was competent but not what I would call friendly (not unfriendly, either, just disinterested.)

As far as location, it's only five minutes from the train station, but being off to the east, it makes for a few minutes longer walk to central amsterdam attractions than some of the other central hotels.

I would say this is a very nice hotel to be able to get for under $150 a night, but I certainly wouldn't pay the regular rate for it, compared to other choices near by. (We stayed at the Marriott Renaissance one night, and really liked it much better). I suppose all the other factors (bed, amenities, service) are more important to me than the architecture, and this hotel just wasn't that outstanding in any of those categories.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Scotlady
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Great location near cruise dock if you are going or returning from a ship, quiet and away from the bustle of downtown but within easy walking distance to all the main areas. 20 min walk to museum area in the SW. If you are there in the summer, be aware that there is no air conditioning in the hotel and would recommend a higher floor so you can have a window open at night. The rooms are spacious, comfortable bed and all minibar items are included in your room rate. Great shower and deep bathtub in the modern looking bathroom. The cab to the airport is around 50Euro and takes around 30 minutes, so plan ahead. The concierge is very friendly, handing us a map of the city and pointing out best places to visit. He also sells museum tickets so you skip the 30 min wait in line at the museum.

1  Thank BeachinTraveler
Reviewed July 14, 2010

My wife and I booked a two night break at the Grand Amrath as we wanted to splash out a bit, it's not often our young boys are looked after and we wanted to make the most of it. Got a really good deal on hotels.com, though check a few sites.

We seemed to be the luckiest people ever and were upgraded on arrival to the Tower Suite, an upgrade worth around £1700 a night! What a result. We can't really say much about the room we should have had, but the one (or rooms) we had was simply spectacular.

Whilst trying not to take all of this into account, it will certainly alter our view quite positively. The hotel itself is very convenient, close to everything including Central station. It's quite gothic, and obviously all newly decorated. The lobby is a bit confusing, but when you get used to it, it makes a change from the usual boring hotel entrances.

Staff were unfailingly polite, and the standard of cleanliness was excellent - we have both spent a lot of nights in hotels on holiday and business - this really was an experience we would like to repeat.

If you can afford to stay in the Tower suite then do so! It was by far the best hotel experience we have ever had. The views form the four (!) bathroom balconys were out of this world, the bed was incredible and the free mini bar is more than what you would expect.

Oh, and do use the wellness centre, very relaxing and worth the effort.

Finally, you can tell the hotel takes customer service seriously by their active promotion of Trip Adviser, even providing a free guide on how to leave feedback. Not something we have ever seen before, and a credit to the owners.

1  Thank PeteandMichelle
Reviewed July 12, 2010

My Mum and I stayed at the Amrath and booked a Deluxe room with free mini bar. When we arrived we were surprised to be upgraded to a lovely suite. It was an exceptionally hot weekend so the free mini bar was an added welcome.It isn't much to add the extra for the free mini bar and we really did make the most of it- the Champagne was certainly drunk!
This hotel is fabulous. The style and design is really wonderful and I probably took as many pictures of the hotel as I did of Amsterdam itself! Its has a reaL Art Deco/Nouveau feel and everywhere you turn there is something beautiful, like the marble walls in the reception area an the old doors and lights.
I hate staying in large corporate/chain hotels and usually prefer to stay in smaller boutique hotels but on this occasion the Amrath caught my eye when booking and I wasn't disappointed. The Amrath has so much character. It is a 5 star hotel and maybe isn't the level that some people with high expectations who usually stay in the likes of Hilton,Radisson but the staff are very attentivethe concierge really helpful and the rooms are huge with lovely bathrooms!
I was really impressed.The only thing was that breakfast is a tad pricey but we just ate there one morning and found a fantastic bakery on the Woermostraat.
I really recommend this hotel for people who like hotels with something different to offer.My Mum and I had a lovely time!

• Stayed: July 2010