4,394 results
All reviews free mini bar wellness centre shipping house superior deluxe room shipping company central station restocked daily steam room trouser press spa area nespresso machine separate shower city view the red light district unique hotel remote control hotel bar
Reviewed August 11, 2018

We stayed in Deluxe Superior Room for 5 nights. Room was large as indicated on website. Electronic blockout curtains easy to use, but a must as our room had a main street view, which meant we had a lot of direct sun on the windows. As one Housekeeping staff said, no airconditioning,, and as we could not open the windows,the room did get very warm Another day our minibar was not restocked, even after a call made in afternoon.. Barry, in Destinations was excellent with travel information. Bar staff were generally good, but on 4th night, as no one came near us after 25 minutes for either drink or menu, we walked out. Used Main dining room twice, and each night very happy with meal and service. Breakfast staff seemed very slow to clear tables once finished with, to allow other guests to be seated. Breakfast good. A lot of little things, attention to detail required, before we could give this Hotel 5 Star rating.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank 66Bubbles
Reviewed August 10, 2018 via mobile

Beautiful building.
Staff in bar, restaurant and reception very helpful and friendly.
Hotel needs updating without losing its vintage appeal.
Housekeeping management needs to keep a check on room cleanliness from ceiling to floor weekly to maintain its 5 star status.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank izzid2013
amrathamsterdam, General Manager at Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2018

Dear Izzldee1704,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. The feedback from our guests truly give us guidelines to improve our service and keep up with the needs of our guests.
We are glad to hear that you appreciated our culinary specialties in our restaurant and the stained glass wood and stone work. We take pride of our kitchen team and that we that we have managed to restore the building as it was intended to be 100 years ago.
I will share you feedback regarding our rooms with the housekeeping manager and I am confident that she will act accordingly to ensure that the rooms will be spotless according to our standards.
As the satisfaction of our customers is our priority, we hope that we can welcome you again in our hotel and give us a chance to deliver you, our esteemed guests, with the 5 star level experience that so many have come to love throughout the years. Should you plan to return to Amsterdam, please make sure to contact us at guest relations directly so we are aware of your coming and can execute any additional arrangements for your stay.
Please feel free to contact us in case you have any questions that I can assist you with.
Kind regards,

Reviewed August 10, 2018 via mobile

Mixed reviews.
Beautiful building, fabulous receptiom, restaurant and bar staff.
Some of the best food I have eaten anywhere.
Some beautiful stained glass wood and stone work.
Interior needs updating while keeping the period features.
Rooms need refreshing and housekeeping management need to check rooms from ceiling to floor on a weekly basis, to ensure they are cleàned to the hotels 5 star status.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank izzidee1704

Dear Izzldee1704,

Please feel free to contact us in case you have any questions that we can assist you with.
Kind regards,

Reviewed August 8, 2018 via mobile

We recently enjoyed a short break in Amsterdam, staying at the Amrath Hotel.

This was a returning visit for us, having stayed at Amrath around a decade ago.

The hotel maintains an imposing presence on Prins Hendrikkade: Externally, it is far larger than almost all other buildings in central Amsterdam, so is easy enough to find. Internally, it is beautifully adorned with loads of intricate features and decoration, echoing its past use as the "Scheepvaarthuis" (shipping house) for a number of maritime companies.

For our stay, we upgraded to a deluxe double room, which was massive. I've never seen curtains so large! Blackout too - and remote controlled. The bed was also very comfy, although the pillows were a touch on the soft side.

There's certainly a wonderful attention to detail around the hotel, and a real sense of luxury, history and opulence. There's rituals bathroom accessories, guest robes and slippers, etc. Also a nespresso drinks machine in the guest room. And there's not too many hotel buildings with their own Wikipedia page!

Yes, there are some negatives. The reception area, although in a new location and still wonderfully polite, can still seem a bit small for the number of guests checking in/ out. And whilst there's still a complimentary minibar, it is now mixers and a couple of beers - although admittedly it is restocked daily. But on our previous stay there was a range of spirits too, so that was a little bit of a disappointment. We also had a couple of issues with the shower, in that its pressure was so powerful, it sometimes overflowed. (I've never said that about a hotel shower before...!)

Oh, and it is still fairly easy to get a bit disoriented in its many corridors and (sometimes quite hidden) lifts - look out for the beautifully restored paternoster (albeit no longer in customer service)... But discovering the building is part of the fun when staying at Amrath.

Overall, certainly a great hotel, and definitely one to recommend if staying in Amsterdam and looking for something with refinement.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2018

Other than the convenient location, this hotel ruined my experience of the city. While the people at the front desk were very nice, and the perks (free peanuts and mini bar) are a nice touch, my room (aside from the bathroom which was solid) was filthy. On day two it had a mouse. The hotel upgraded me as a courtesy but despite my numerous attempts to reach the GM, he did not reply, and when I called the housekeeping supervisor about the mouse, she said: "I am eating now, there is nothing i can do for you so call the front desk" which I had already done to no avail. I regret staying there, and feel that compensation other than the free upgrade is the least they can do.

Room tip: Get a high floor where you can open the windows.
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
5  Thank Elizabeth S
amrathamsterdam, General Manager at Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2018

Dear Elizabeth S,

We appreciate you sharing your valuable input with us. We are sorry that your stay with us has left a negative impression on you.
As for the unwanted guest in your room, this is definitely something we never feel lightly about. Rest assured the extermination company has been contacted immediately. Although it is difficult to keep these out of the hotel in Amsterdam near the canals and in a historical building, it is not impossible and we strive every day to keep a pest-free establishment. My sincere apologies for the experience you had, I can understand that this was very unsettling.

Moreover, I would like to apologize for the sub-par handling of this issue by the members of our team.
It pains me that we did not achieve to provide you with the level of service that we aim to deliver to our esteemed guests, and I deeply apologize for this matter.

I would like to further discuss this important matter with you, if you would be willing. If so, please feel free to contact us at info@amrathamsterdam.com. We hope to hear from you soon!

With kind regards,