4,350 results
All reviews free mini bar wellness centre shipping house electric curtains superior deluxe room shipping company central station steam room restocked daily trouser press nespresso machine spa area separate shower city view the red light district unique hotel remote control
Reviewed October 19, 2017

I stayed in the Amrath for 2 nights, just passing through Amsterdam on the way back to the States. The Amrath is located just a 6-minute walk from Amsterdam's Centraal Train Station. Not only that, but many trams and the metro to travel throughout Amsterdam is located just in front of the station.

The friendly front desk staff checked me in quickly and efficiently. I was very surprised when opening the door to my room. The room is huge by European and even American standards, with 12-foot tall ceilings, king size bed and both a 6-foot tub and a separate shower. The atmosphere, to me, felt like something out of a 1920's movie with an old world charm type of atmosphere.

I didn't have a chance to use all the facilities but did check them out. There is an indoor pool (a rarity in Amsterdam), sauna, spa, and hot tub, which was out of commision for some reason at the time of my visit. All looked top of the line, but this is from appearance only, since I didn't take advantage of them due to my short stay.

I would definitely stay at the Grand Hotel Amrath again.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled solo
Amrath A, General Manager at Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2017

Dear terryhall,

We thank you kindly for sharing your positive comments with us!
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your 2 nights stay with us here at the Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam. I'm pleased to hear that our central location close to the train station was convenient for you and your plans in Amsterdam and that our staff was able to make you feel welcomed upon check in.
How nice to hear that you were happy with the spacious room allocated to you with its king size bed and large bath. As we ourselves are so proud of it, it is always a treat to learn from that one of our guests was able to appreciate the historical character and unique charm of our monumental building.
We hope to be able to welcome you back soon, for a chance to try out our Spa Wellness facilities! For your next potential visit, make sure you book with us directly for the best rates and most complete information on the hotel and its surroundings. You can do so either via email reservations@amrathamsterdam.com or via our website.

Reviewed October 18, 2017 via mobile

From the outside the hotel did indeed look grand. Once inside it was like entering a time warp and going back to the 1920’s, with a dark wood-paneled interior.

We were placed in room 419 which provided a complimentary view of the construction site outside!

The climate control was ineffective and the room was extremely hot. We notified Reception and they kindly sent along a member of staff. He eventually brought along an electric fan and opened the window for us. It didn’t help much and it made the noise from the construction site even worse. At night the noise from loud music downstairs meant it was difficult to sleep. The hotel should notify people in advance, before booking that the climate control does not work and also that there are construction works in place. If we had known we would not have booked.

Overall a disappointing visit and definitely not a 5 star hotel. Even the coffee machine did not work.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
3  Thank Aamilie
Amrath A, General Manager at Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2017

Dear Aamilie,

We appreciate you sharing your valuable input with us. We are sorry that your stay with us has left a negative impression on you.
I regret to hear that you were unsatisfied with the view of the room allocated to you. I do wish that you would have alerted the staff of this matter during your stay as we would have been more than happy to relocate you to another room where you would have been more comfortable! We're sorry to hear you were uncomfortable with the temperature in your room. Because our hotel is located in a monumental building we are unfortunately not allowed by the government to make great evasive changes such as installing a central airconditioning system. As you know, we do have a climate control system which circulates and refreshes the air but does not cool it. In the case that our guests experience discomfort because of the temperature in their room, we offer standing fans upon request, as they did with you.
It pains me that we did not achieve to provide you with the level of service experience that we aim to deliver to our esteemed guests, and I deeply apologize for this matter.
We hope that you will consider giving us a second chance to redeem ourselves from this experience and prove that we are able to provide our guests with the 5 star experience that so many have grown fond of throughout the years.
If you do, please book with us directly for the best rates and most complete information on the hotel and its surroundings. You can do so either via email reservations@amrathamsterdam.com or via our website.

Reviewed October 17, 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I arrived at this hotel late on a friday (second time stay as we love the hotel) after walking the red carpet entrance we were told by the receptionist that our upgraded room we payed for was not available so they have upgraded us to their suite at no extra cost! We looked online and per night this room cost about £1500. Our bags carried to our room. Our suite had 7 rooms and was amazing! 2 toilets, amazing bathroom and huge bed. We have booked to come to this hotel again next month. Breakfast here is brilliant, couldn't fault it. Unsure why anyone would complain about the spa, it has 3 saunas, a steam room, jacuzzi, indoor pool and a huge gym. You can also get a spa treatments. We did this first time we stayed, quite expensive but its Amsterdam, prices are high for everything! We are really looking forward to coming back here, the beds are so comfy! Couldn't fault this hotel, third time staying next month and I'm sure it won't be the last!

Stayed: March 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LauraBuckland
Amrath A, General Manager at Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2017

Dear LauraBuckland,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and others on this site! How wonderful that you chose to stay at our hotel once again!
I am delighted to hear that you and your boyfriend enjoyed the complimentary upgrade to one of our beautiful suites and that you were comfortable in your bed. How nice to hear that you were satisfied with the large and varied selection of our breakfast buffet and that you enjoyed our Spa Wellness center after a long day of exploring the city.
We are thrilled to hear that you would be happy to stay with us on your next potential stay in Amsterdam and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed October 17, 2017

We stayed one night here after a cruise and heading home. The other reviews are pretty accurate - the building is old, it was a warehouse or factory, and there are some problems. The layout of the hallways is difficult to navigate. And the rooms are sparsely furnished. But we found it clean, we had a very pretty view of the canals, the staff were wonderfully helpful, and we liked being a little off the main drag - but close enough to walk to a good restaurant for dinner. In general though, we did not like walking around Amsterdam - bikes, cars, trams, people - a navigation nightmare - and this was October.

Room Tip: Our room with a canal view was lovely. A suite, they called it, I think.
  • Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lncclc

Dear lncclc,

We appreciate your review on this site!
I am very sorry to hear that you had difficulty navigating through the hotel. As you already know, our hotel is located in a monumental building which was transformed into a hotel in the early 2000's with slightly unconventional spaces and layout as a result of this. We try to aid this with signs throughout the building but it is apparent that this was not sufficient. We will make sure to look into this and I apologize if this caused you inconvenience in any way.
I am happy to hear that you were comfortable in the clean room allocated to you with the canal view.
We appreciate your positive comments on the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff team and I'm pleased to learn that our location was convenient for your plans in our beautiful city of Amsterdam.
We hope to be able to welcome you back soon! For your next potential visit, make sure you book with us directly for the best rates and most complete information on the hotel and its surroundings. You can do so either via email reservations@amrathamsterdam.com or via our website.

Reviewed October 16, 2017

I stayed here for a single night on business. The staff were great and welcoming, but the architecture, whilst stunning, is almost gothic in appearance. It had a cold feeling about it and would have scared the pants off my kids. The art deco building is wonderfully preserved but it felt like spending a night in a museum.

My room was on the third floor. Good luck in finding room 328 if that’s where you are sleeping.

The bed was great and very comfortable. The minibar is free which is a nice touch. But if you are looking for cosy and intimate there are better places to stay in Amsterdam.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled on business
1  Thank timl11

Dear timl11,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam! Thank you for making your comments known to us.
I will make sure to pass your compliments on to our staff, they will be happy to know that you enjoyed their service and that they made you feel welcomed.
Regarding your comment about the design of our hotel, I would like to inform you that the building in which our hotel is located used to be the office of six different shipping companies, and was built in the early 20th century in the architectural style of the ‘Amsterdam School’ Although we are very proud of the unique and historical design of our building, we understand it is not for everyone. As a result of the monumental nature of our building there are slightly unconventional spaces and layout throughout the hotel which can cause some of our guests to lose their way navigating to their rooms. I apologize if this caused you inconvenience in any way.
How wonderful to hear that you were comfortable in your bed and that you enjoyed the complimentary minibar in your room.