“Wonderful break, wonderful hotel”

Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
Ranked #67 of 365 Hotels in Amsterdam
Montrose
“Wonderful break, wonderful hotel”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed in the Grand Hotel Amrath with 2 friends in April 2014. Fabulous hotel with fabulous rooms. As everyone else has said, it is a five minute stroll from Centraal Station and looks very impressive as you approach it. The location is also very quiet at night and we heard nothing from outside, or inside, during our three night stay. Free mini bar which is restocked daily is something that I have not come across in any other hotel, and the wonderful Nespresso coffee machine is light years away from the usual kettle and packet instant coffee of other hotels. Large rooms and large, comfortable beds, with a separate bath and shower in our bathroom, as well as two sinks, very handy in the morning. The room was tidied twice a day, morning and afternoon. Very quick check in and check out, even though we didn't book it through the hotel itself. Unfortunately we did not use the spa facility or breakfast so cannot comment. Definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

2 Thank Anderson65

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dorset
Reviewed April 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed in this quirky art deco hotel on an all inclusive BA weekend break.

A faulty room fan in our appointed room led to an upgrade to well appointed and unusually spacious junior suite. The hotel (built as offices for wealthy shipping companies in 1913) is an excellent example of early 20th century art deco and the glass panelling in various corners of the public spaces is quite stunning.

The high points were the free well stocked mini bar in every from, the well appointed bathrooms, the very comfortable beds, the wellness centre, BBC 1/2 on the television, the excellent breakfast, and the free broadband. The low point was the lack of a porterage service on arrival.

We ate in the hotel restaurant one night. The food was first class but the service did re-define the term 'slow food' . The first course took an hour to arrive and we were in the restaurant for well over 2 hours. Bizarrely, the food served did not properly rerflect the description on the menu. The potatoes, vegetables and accompaniments were all different to those advertised. It actually didn't matter as it was all delicious but quite strange given that the restaurant was far from busy. The price for two with drinks was a not unreasonable 85 Euros.

The Amrath is a great place to stay in Amsterdam. Well located It has a uniqueness to it that takes a lot of beating. We will stay there again if we return to Amsterdam.

2 Thank KSDorset
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We've just had a wonderful few days at hotel amrath amsterdam. Hotel architecture was amazing including all the lead glass windows couldn't fault anything and the staff were great highly recommend this hotel

1 Thank Gill363
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed for two nights in February and were pleased with the hotel. The room was spacious with high ceilings and a large bed. The free mini bar contained half bottles of red and white wine, bottles of beer, a selection of spirit miniatures plus a range of mixers and was restocked daily. There is also a coffee machine and selection of coffees. The bathroom was also a good size with both a large bath and shower. The complimentary toiletries included good quality shower gel, moisturiser, shampoo and conditioner. My only concern was that there appeared to be a holding fee placed on my credit card, which was not released until nearly a week after we returned. As I had not been told of this I was rather concerned when I checked my balance online.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Abigail D
DFW
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Recently I spent a night at the Grand Hotel Amrath in Amsterdam. It has a lot of old world charm and a few perks other hotels do not have, such as a free minibar restocked daily and a close walk to the train station.

Upon arriving I was surprised to notice the flight of stairs leading up to the front doors which could be a problem if you're carrying a lot of luggage. Also going to the room there were stairs in the corridors that would be awkward with luggage, although bell men are very attentinve.

I would consider staying here again next time through the city.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Nottingham
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

We have never stayed in a 5 star hotel before so we didn't know what to expect but we were really happy with it. Our 10 year old daughter loved the big room, free mini bar, slippers, robe, spa and pool. Plus it had curtains that you shut electronically and a big bath and separate shower. She said she always wants to stay 5 star now! The staff were welcoming and the building is amazing. It is near the train station and a 10 min walk from the dam square. We went to Vondel Park, Van Gogh museum, Anne Frank and shopping on Kalverstraat. Brilliant place to stay and would go back again.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank NCCNottingham
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I booked this hotel for 1 nights stay, this was the biggest mistake I have ever made as when I checked in I was told i had to pay up front an amount of 90 euro in case we drank or ate in the hotel, I was not made aware of this when booking direct with the hotel, and explained we was only here for the night so i didn’t see it necessary as we had already paid for breakfast when booking the room, that was the first problem, the second was when we checked in we asked to pay the room bill but was told we could only do this on check out but they needed to reserve a card payment for the room about, so this was fine. When we come to check out of the hotel i paid on a different card, i was told no amount was taken from my other card so I didn’t see a problem, until i came to use my other bank card only to be told by the bank that the hotel had not released the payment, I have since contacted the hotel 10 times not to release this payment and they assure me they will do it but they don’t our stay was a month ago now and they are still holding £200 on my bank card I am disgusted in such POOR service from a so called 5 star hotel this is not the performance i would expect from any hotel let alone this one, I would never book this hotel again it’s been a real eye opener.

Also the on the last day of out stay here we decided to use the Spa, only to find no reception staff work on a morning so you have to direct yourself, there was lockers that we was uable to use as you needed a code, for a hotel of such so called standards you would expect any 5* hotel Spa to have staff on at all times, but during our 2 hours Spa stay we didn’t see one staff member there was also other guests coming into the pool area bringing personal belongings and looking around for staff.

Room Tip: best advise I could give you is book another hotel.