“Fifth visit and each time going down”

Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
Ranked #72 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I had written a very good review about the Amrath last year. I have been there again 3 times since and each time was less good than before. First of all: the service. A very small room for the reception, most for the time one person, very slow, had to wait 30 minutes once in order to be able to check in. We got once 2 single beds. We asked to change room which was not possible so we were promised "right away" a mattress to cover the gap between the beds, but we are still waiting for it... The free mini bar is poorer each time we go also. As far as the hotel itself is concerned, it stinks more and more. The carpets in the halls, especially at level -1 and next to the pool itself there is a smell. The cleanliness is also doubtful: when I went beginning of Jan, there was a chewing gum next to the stream of the pool...when I went back 2 weeks later, the chewing gum was till there!!! The breakfast is also not great: everything is cold (eggs, sausages...) and the pastries (doughnut etc) are dry. Disappointing in such a wonderful place and in a 5 star hotel!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kitine00
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Hotel facilities were great, short walk from Centraal Station and centrally located. Staff were very friendly, room was large and had a free mini bar. Glass door for the bathroom was a bit strange but overall excellent hotel.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sam789
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Impressive architecture, quirky Art Deco interiors and very nicely appointed rooms. I took a junior suite as I like space to work and a comfy chair whilst traveling and I was not disappointed. Incredibly comfortable bed, a window that actually opens and a reasonably well stocked minibar included in the room tariff made for a pleasant couple of days at a very acceptable price. The staff were mostly friendly and professional. The only let down was that room service forgot to bring my early breakfast order on my last morning which made for a bit of a grumpy ride to the airport (but I can't blame the hotel staff for my being a moody old soul when I haven't eaten)!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 29, 2014

If you are looking for a hotel that is easy to walk around the most important city sights, the Amrath hotel is one to consider.
I arrived at the hotel last Sunday for three days. Arrived around 8 in the morning and they just granted me a room about 2:20 PM.

In my POV doesn't worth the cost. Breakfast is really expensive. The room is so-so to average, maximum. Bathroom was good.
Noise room in from of the street, second floor.

The bed is really a con. The mattress is good, but the bed frame is higher than the mattress, so you need to jump in and jump out all times. That bothered me.
One interesting thing they offer is minibar free. That is nice. Would be nicer if count with more than sweet popcorn and soda.

Dont know what happened there last week, but when I was arriving Tuesday night, there was 2 ambulances and a police car parked in front of the main entrance.

The staff is nice.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank loliv2
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We booked this hotel for our honeymoon and we are so glad we did. We found the hotel on expedia and liked the look of the place, the reviews and the price. There are some negative reviews and they had me worried for a while, right up until I'd seen our room and crashed out on the bed!

The location of the hotel is great, we flew to amsterdam and caught a train into town, although there is an airport hopper bus. The hotel is only a short walk from Centraal station and we found it really easily, even dragging a case behind us. Arrival and checkin was easy in a rather old fashioned looking but efficient office.

We had a room with a city view and it was certainly worth the extra costs, as we had a spectacular view of the city! We had plenty of room and had one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. The hotel has free wifi, which unlike other hotel wifi I've used actually worked. The free minibar is also a real bonus. It was restocked every day and gave us a regular supply of bottled water, beer and wine. If you are a tea drinker, I would take your own supply as Dutch tea is pretty awful.

Other reviewers mention the bathrooms and yes, the door was glass and this was a little perturbing... Even on honeymoon! Inside, the bathroom itself was lovely and was well appointed.

The hotel did seem to be going through a refit and I can only assume this would account for some of the poor reviews, as our room was great.
We opted not to have breakfast, as we felt it was overpriced and we could find something locally. The thing is, we couldn't. If there are local places doing breakfast, we couldn't find them. We didn't eat in the restaurant either, eating other local venues instead. There is a street across the canal lined with places and Helmese Modder in the same direction was a great choice for a treat meal at the end of our holiday.

The hotel is on the edge of the red light district, so if you are going out in the evening you will have to walk through this to get anywhere. That said, I didn't find the area to be threatening or especially seedy. The streets were buzzing with people and there's a good choice of bars, diners and restaurants. The hotel itself looks like something from a gothic novel but it's certainly distinctive and appears in lots of tourist guides due to its previous life as a shipping office.
Overall, we had a great stay and would definitely return

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cheeseaddict
Reviewed January 29, 2014

This Art Deco hotel is an old shipping office that has been converted into a 5 star hotel. I was fortunate enough to be upgraded to a superior suite for three. Beds and pillows were very comfortable, even the pull out guest bed was great! This is the only hotel where I have slept all night and comfortably. The high ceiling room came with a gown, free mini bar, Nespresso machine, coach, snacks, slippers and Rituals bathroom products. Big bath and shower. Free wifi throughout as well.

Did I mention they have electric curtains?! Yah, electric curtains and window with a view of the canal! The internal decor on each floor is unique and amazing. Art Deco and expressionism throughout the building.

Staff were really helpful and friendly. I didn't get to try the restaurant but will next time when I go back.

Did I mention the free refillable mini bar?

Amazing!

Room Tip: If you got a Expedia VIP upgrade, use it here.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Perhaps I shouldn't start here, but having a very well-stocked minibar replenished daily with the compliments of the hotel is something of an immediate draw! The also-free wi-fi is very fast by any standards (and we all know what hotel wi-fi systems can be like). Our room was huge with a fantastic view over the canal and the old city. Housekeeping was fantastic - delightful Thai lady named Boonchoo really looked after us. Also recommended is the Wellness suite with gym, pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna with three cabins set at differing temperatures - all this free to guests too. Can't fault!!

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook harbour - which could be anywhere. Best choose to overlook canal and old city.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple