“Grand Hotel Amrath”

Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
Ranked #73 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Beautiful Hotel, excellent staff. A sumptuous breakfast. In a fabulous old building. The furnishings were beautiful, modern bathroom. Very nice coffee machines in the rooms. Complimentary mini bar was a nice surprise. Very nice bar meals. We loved it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Cherrabun
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Lovely old character hotel. History and preservation of the hotel were incredible! All the stained glass and beautiful wooden staircase. It was a sight seeing tour in itself! Staff were so helpful and friendly. Hotel is located close to the Central Train Station, Canal Tours embarkation point, Red Light District (you know you want to see it.....) and shopping. The room was modern, super comfortable with beautiful bed linens, and fully equipped. Loved it!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Great hotel.
Everything was just perfect.
The room service was quick, we got anything we've asked for within max. 10 minutes.
This was our honeymoon trip, so we've been upgraded for free to room with city view.
Very comfortable room, the bed was just terrific, Nespresso coffee machine and the bathroom did the change :-). Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alexander K
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Location

This hotel is a 5 minute walk from Central train station, 10 minutes from the main shopping area/Dam Square and around 20 minutes walk from the main museums,Anne Frank's house and the main areas for nightlife/restaurants. The location of this hotel was perfect for us as it is set in a quiet area and was easily accessible without being in the midst of the noise of Dam Square.

Room/Decor

If you are looking for a hotel with character then this is your place. This is not an uber modern hilton-like hotel from the outside however the rooms are very modern with all the comforts you would expect from a 5 star hotel:nespresso machine,comfortable robes & slippers, branded toiletries and a free mini bar which was very well stocked and a lovely touch. The bar included waters,cokes,beers,wines,miniatures etc. The ceilings in the bedrooms were fabulously high with beautiful curtains which blocked out all the light. We faced on to the canal & the view of the city was beautiful.

I would highly recommend this hotel however I am giving this hotel a 4 as although we loved the decor, the rooms,the location and the view, we felt the staff were slightly lacking for a 5 star hotel. One member of staff remained on the phone while fetching our suitcases upon check out & didn't even acknowledge us or ask if we had enjoyed our stay. The fire alarm went off as we were checking out & the receptionist was extremely abrupt when we asked for a few extra minutes to gather our belongings after the drill was over - as a result of this we rushed to leave the hotel & left a number of items behind us. Isolated events but not expected from a 5 star establishment.

Tip

Try get a city view room on a high floor. Use the discount coupons available at the concierge desk and the map provided which is excellent.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a 40th birthday treat for my wife and loved the place. Excellent spa facilities in a really relaxing environment. Very helpful and efficient staff (concierge made 2 good restaurant recommendations & flowers and champagne were in our room on arrival as requested).
We loved the building and Art Deco styling with many original features - none less than the lift!)

Can't comment on the food at all as we didn't eat in at all.

It's rare for me but I really couldn't fault this hotel, it's amenities or it's staff. Brilliant.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Skihorn
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I don't write reviews very often but I chose this hotel based on the reviews here and I feel someone needs to tell it like it is. I stayed here OCT 15th for 3 nights.From day one we had problems with this hotel and its staff. Firstly we paid extra for a so called Superior deluxe room category. The room we got was far from it.. I travel many places in this world and let's just say this was one of the WORST most uncomfortable rooms I have ever stayed in! It was very small and dark and dingy. The bell man who showed us to the room said "You might want to keep the curtains closed".. When I went to look, I found out why, Our " Deluxe" Room had a view of other peoples windows who were just a few feet away! If that curtain were not there they could even look into the bathroom. SO basically you are in a pit of a room with closed curtains, windows that barely open for over 400 bucks per night! WOW what a deal. The room itself was not good for a business traveler. They put the TV on the only somewhat desk in the room.
To make matters worse the not so apologetic staff told us the hotel was sold out so basically that translates as too bad for us and they don't care! Boy did that show in the service. It took forever to get extra pillows, it took over an hour to get an adaptor or anything for that matter. We reluctantly asked the concierge to book us train tickets, it took all night because he was ALSO the bellman and was too busy checking in more guest. Not his fault really since this so called 4 star hotel was clearly understaffed. At least HE was nice, one of the few people who was friendly.
There was one snobby brunette with a tight pony tail who gave us dirty looks pretty much the whole time probably because we dare complained to Amex about our room not being what we paid for. .. The only time this hotel was quick about anything was getting you out the door at check out. That same snobby woman called our room to remind us that check out was at noon or they would tack on another fee!
There were plenty of other issues concerning bad service and unfriendly attitudes. You would call the front desk and ask them for the number of the hotel because you were expecting a call to your room .. The man who answered had the nerve to say " Why would you want to call yourself" NO, I Don't think this was a language barrier issue. Maybe they didn't know how their phones worked because Many times we received phone calls meant for other guests. OR maybe they were doing this on purpose because we had complained? They even gave Amex travel a hard time. The Rep was very upset with the way this hotel staff spoke to her as well. guest. Needless to say I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. Too bad because it has a good location and the building is very interesting BUT this is far from a 4 star hotel They just charge like one!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank phonechick
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I was nervous booking - there are some pretty bad opinions of this hotel - also lots of really good ones, so we went for it.
I do understand what people have said about the decor being dark etc. We endured a very long red eye flight and arrived into Amsterdam feeling cold and tired. We got to Central station easily from the airport but got turned around when we arrived at the station and walked in the rain, in the wrong direction with our bags for about 10 minutes before we got our bearings and found the hotel. It is a very easy walk, once you know where you are going.
My first impression was not great - it seemed a bit scary from the outside, like a spooky castle. It's right across from a brand new Doubletree hotel and I was kicking myself for not booking that one. Once we got in it was a bit strange - you go to a sort of meeting room and sit at a table opposite the clerks to check in.
My first impression of the room was a bit negative as well. It all seemed really dark. Our room was on the canal side and was quiet and once I had a little nap - on the VERY comfortable bed on good quality sheets, I started to fall in love with the place. The mini bar and Nespresso coffee maker make it very easy to settle in, the room was large and the bathroom was huge, with double sinks and a long and deep tub, lots of space to put our things out and a separate shower with very good water pressure.
I had the small breakfast the next day in the beautiful dinning room. The waitress was just lovely and the breakfast was very, very good. We had a drink in the bar / lounge every evening and enjoyed the decor in that room and again our service there was very good.
Every time we returned to the hotel we noticed new things - the marble is impressive and all the iron work very interesting, lots to look at.
The spa was really exceptional - if you plan on staying here bring you swimsuit. There are 3 different saunas, a steam room and lovely swimming pool.
So glad we didn't pick a newer hotel! I would recommend this hotel to friends, and if I am ever lucky enough to go back to Amsterdam, I wouldn't even think of staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple