“Close to the centre of Amsterdam ,a short walk from the Railway Station” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
Ranked #66 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Close to the centre of Amsterdam ,a short walk from the Railway Station”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Have stayed here several times and have never been disappointed.Former commercial property turned hotel which overlooks a former dock an the new Library it offers the visitor comfort and good service.Like to have a room on the upper floors and this was provided with a good view looking out from the city.Cuisine is good here but one has a lot of good quality restaurants nearby.Excellent choice for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Upper rooms are recommended for the vistas they offer
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bader54

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

If you're tired of carbon copy hotels where you feel you could be anywhere in the world try the Grand Hotel Amrath in Amsterdam. We had a double room with a high ceiling on 2 levels that had a complimentary mini bar. For once I didn't feel like I was staying in a sauna and the maze of corridors only added to the charm of the stay. It's just a few metres from the station and breakfast is well worth a try at least once during your stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank walkingclasshero
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Me and my lass stayed at the amrath recently and I can totally recommend this hotel. Breakfast was very good, staff very polite and friendly, rooms clean and luxurious, location is very good, bed comfy, sturdy and quiet!
The complimentary mini bar is a very good idea as I'm often amazed at the cost of drinks in hotels. I think it would be a good idea for the majority of hotels to follow this. I imagine the cost of this service is recouped in repeat business.
We will definitely be going back to Amsterdam and we will definitely be staying here when we do

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Simonoll
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Just completed an 8-night stay at the Amrath during a very busy trade fair, IBC. Had a group of 6 to look after and staff were beyond great. The concierges were all friendly and helpful and when my many boxes got lost, they helped me get them out of Amsterdam customs.

The breakfast was fantastic and the gal Cristen who runs the shipping department deserves a promotion! I had to leave in a big hurry and she actually packed up my boxes had them sent to me. this hotel's service is the best I have come across in a very long time. Our group used to stay at the Grand Sofitel but left last year when it turned into "just another chain". the Amrath is a really cool hotel with free wifi and free mini-bar. I give it 6 plus stars, the staff there really rocks!

My only wish was that the gym was a little better, as the weight room was spare and the equipment a little tired, but all the walking in Amsterdam, you don't really need a good gym.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank JodiGlobal
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I don't know why I hesitated before booking this hotel but I did. It was a great stay. Very nice architecture. Great room with high ceiling, Very quiet. Free mini-bar. Near central station and many restaurants albeit tourist restaurants. If I return to Amsterdam I will not hesitate to book this hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Montrealer48
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend in September. Was fantastic. I agree the with a lot of the other reviews - the entrance/reception area is a little chaotic, but that just seemed to be because of the peculiar layout. All the staff we encountered were extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgable.

The hallways etc are a little cold - not in temperature more in feel and the building is a little bit of a maze to get around (I think this is probably what turned off a few people who said that this hotel shouldn't be 5 star). That said, the very small lobby and other public areas are beautifully restored in a beautiful detailed modernist style which I'm told is 'Amsterdam School'. I really recommend just having a wander around the hotel and opening a few random doors - I did this trying to find the grand staircase and discovered some really spectacular spaces which must be function rooms of the hotel.

Breakfast was a very comprehensive buffet which was nice, but nothing really made me say wow. There is however a spectacular modernist sculpture in the middle of the dining room which just takes your breath away anyway! The staff in breakfast were extremely helpful - made me poached eggs bespoke as I felt like these and there was only fried and scrambled eggs on the buffet. They even remembered which tea myself and my partner liked when we came in for breakfast the next morning despite it being rather busy.

Our room was luxurious with spectacularly high ceilings (necessitating the need for the motorised opening and closing of curtains) and beautifully decorated in an early 20th Century style. I absolutely adored the modernist light fittings in particular - simple but very elegant. The well stocked complementary mini-bar was a lovely touch (although I did feel totally unnecessary). I will definitely return here on my next visit to Amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
South Riding, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I just finished our holiday in Amsterdam, and spent 10 great days at the Amrath. It was just like staying in a castle. We had room 230 which was an end unit so it was rather private and quiet to us. The room was quite large, with huge ceilings and a remote control curtain control. The free mini bar and wifi was also included and the bar was refreshed daily. The bathroom was huge and modern. The best feature is the shower....nice and hot and great water pressure. Nice size TV with many channel options, and comfy beds with very soft pillows. The only downside of the room was that there was no alarm clock in the room which we thought was odd. But the other amenities made up for it, such as clothes press and nespresso machine for coffee and tea each day.

Other reviews have complained of the reception wait, but we had no issue with them. The reception is small, but we checked in quickly and checked out in less than 5 minutes. Our favorite staff member was the conceirge Anton who was so helpful in giving us directions and setting up tours. The hotel is a 10 minute walk to Centraal Station, and another 10 minutes to the Dam square. Do make note that there is much construction going on the Damrak heading away from the train station, so be prepared for some noise on this avenue heading out to the Rokin avenue. We will definitely stay at this hotel again!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends