“Fantastic Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #63 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
South Riding, Virginia
“Fantastic Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I just finished our holiday in Amsterdam, and spent 10 great days at the Amrath. It was just like staying in a castle. We had room 230 which was an end unit so it was rather private and quiet to us. The room was quite large, with huge ceilings and a remote control curtain control. The free mini bar and wifi was also included and the bar was refreshed daily. The bathroom was huge and modern. The best feature is the shower....nice and hot and great water pressure. Nice size TV with many channel options, and comfy beds with very soft pillows. The only downside of the room was that there was no alarm clock in the room which we thought was odd. But the other amenities made up for it, such as clothes press and nespresso machine for coffee and tea each day.

Other reviews have complained of the reception wait, but we had no issue with them. The reception is small, but we checked in quickly and checked out in less than 5 minutes. Our favorite staff member was the conceirge Anton who was so helpful in giving us directions and setting up tours. The hotel is a 10 minute walk to Centraal Station, and another 10 minutes to the Dam square. Do make note that there is much construction going on the Damrak heading away from the train station, so be prepared for some noise on this avenue heading out to the Rokin avenue. We will definitely stay at this hotel again!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Richard D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

then come here for a drink at the bar/lounge. Also nice if you're going to/from Centraal station.We weren't lodging here, but both wanted to see the building features with our own eyes. A wierd combination of art-deco and gothic springs to mind. I thought the entrance hall would be roomier, but nevertheless some lovely decor in the public areas. The lounge was quite dark, did have a candle on each table but the ceiling lamps were in keeping with the overall style. We were served not by a barman, but I think possibly a duty manager as it was between shifts for the bar staff. He did his best and was very attentive and polite. Later, the barman served us, a very polite, knowledgable, fast, and pleasant guy. we had cocktails and rose wine. All OK. Nice old elevator. Go up to the 3rd floor hallway and check out the windows from there.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LondonExplorer76
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed in April and could not fault this hotel! We loved it. Room was beautiful with high ceilings, comfortable bed and free mini bar!! We were there for 6 nights, but wished it had been longer! Staff were very attentive and helpful! Stay here!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank aussiebb
Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Upon arrival the check-in went a bit difficult, but staff was very friendly. The hotel looks like a maze, I lost my way actually but that's not so bad, because the building is so historical, it is amazing to discover.

The room I stayed in (102) had a very nice size, was clean (except for some little details), had AC, free minibar, a big closet, big bathroom, nice windows.
I can not give any bad comments about it. Lovely pillows.
Little detail, my hairdryer didn't work like it should, but I didn't gave a notice about that one, because it wasn't that important to me.

The club sandwich was very tasty in the bar.
Breakfast in the morning is perfect.

Staff is very friendly and helpful.

Neighborhood outside the hotel is a bit weird. It's difficult to put my finger on it, because they are also have constructions at the moment.

I would come back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Wasaga Beach, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

6 adults and 1 child stayed here on our 30 day Euro Trip. We loved this place. It was a 15 minute walk from the train station but with our stroller and backpacks, we made the trek. The pool and sauna area was amazing. My 2 year old son at the time had a blast. Red light district was interesting to walk through with my wife and 2 year old boy :) All the ladies were waving at me, my wife was pinching me :)

All in all, a great time

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank WasagalifeDOTcom
Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The Grand Hotel Amrath is an amazing old building, with beautiful decor and lovely rooms. Most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in, and my room was large and airy with a great bathroom. Service is well ... it's Dutch - precise and efficient, if not overly warm. Bars and restaurants are excellent and the food is of high quality. Great wellness centre too, with a pool, spa and saunas and a small gym. Close to the city, and the Central Station as well. Would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I can't say enough good things about this hotel! Everything about it was top notch, high quality and over the top superior. We had some of the best food we've ever eaten in their restuarant; had the best service from a waiter we've ever had; and had the biggest, most beautiful and most comfortable room ever! Fantastic location; wonderfully helpful conceirge and the most unique and beautiful old building I've ever seen. Highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: I would highly recommend upgrading to the Superior Deluxe Room. It was definitely worth the extra...