“It's definitely Grand!”

Ranked #66 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Haddenham, United Kingdom
“It's definitely Grand!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for our first time in 'Dam, the hotel is nice but very expensive. The location is excellent, cross a bridge and through a small gap in the houses and bang, you are in the red light district!

The mini bar is re stocked every day and free, and there is a spa on the ground floor which seemed good. We didn't eat at the hotel due to it being to expensive, plus there are loads of food joints to choose from just a stones throw away.

If we went to Dam again then I think we would stay somewhere cheaper, but if you are after a luxury break then this is the hotel for you.

I recommend the 'canal view' rooms, 3rd floor or higher, as you get a beautiful view and you are not facing the busy road.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Pebblesworth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leeds
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Can't add much to what other reviewers have said but...

Location- really convenient for Amsterdam Centraal railway station- just a 5-10 minute walk on the level.
Check-in- we arrived about 12 and were quite prepared to be sent away, but not only was our room ready, we had also been upgraded to a superior room (more space). Not bad considering we were on an Expedia special deal of 3 nights for the price of two.
Our room was on the basement/ground level which meant that we couldn't open the windows, but the air conditioning was effective at keeping the temperature pleasant. The room itself was well equipped, with an enormous bed and all the conveniences we needed (mni-bar, Nespresso, Kettle, TV....)
We did notice some signs of cost-cutting- the mini-bar had a bit less in than last year (although still plenty), our bedding wasn't changed in 3 days, and the complimentary slippers were no longer provided (these were useful for walking to the spa and back).
The spa was a great touch- floating around in the pool is a great tonic after a day walking around Amsterdam.

We decided not to bother with breakfast this time- we remember it as being OK, but overpriced (as usual for hotels) at 25EUR

Checking out was again both efficient and friendly, and no problem holding cases for us so we could have a few last hours before our flight to walk around the city.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem good- but the rooms over Prins Henrikkade will probably suffer from traffic noise...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank abomination
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I, have recently returned,from a wonderful,8 nights trip,to the Netherlands.

The heatwave,was a little much,however I cooled down,in Zandvoort,a beautiful seaside town,about 30 minutes,from Amsterdam.

I, must praise all the staff,at the Grand Hotel Amrath. They looked after me very well. The concierges,are excellent. The bellmen,too.

The receptionists are helpful and friendly.

I, enjoyed,the full English breakfast and one day,I had a smaller breakfast which was very good.

The swimming pool area was clean,however a little too hot,for my comfort.

I, have no hesitation,in advising readers,to try this hotel .

I, am confident,you will return,often.

Room Tip: Ask,their reservations department about the different size rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Samuel M
Syosset, New York
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My now husband and I stayed 3 nights here in November of 2011, and had intended to write a review immediately but it slipped my mind. We enjoyed our stay so much though, that we figured better late than never. The hotel is a beautiful old building, and very charming. They were running a special when I was there and we received a room upgrade (which many other reviewers also seem to have gotten). The room was much larger than any other room I have had in other cities. And free minibar restocked every day!!! Being our first time in Amsterdam, I found the location of the hotel to be really conveniant. It is right next to Central Station, so public transportation to and from the airport as well as the rest of the city was very easy. When I revisit other cities, like Paris for example, I don't usually like staying in the same hotel and part of the city. If I go back to Amsterdam, I would absolutely stay at Amrath again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a business trip, and have to say location, service and setting were all excellent. I received a free upgrade to an superior suite which consisted of a bedroom, dressing area and a large bathroom with separate bath and shower. The bed was very comfortable, unlimited free minibar and good wi-fi reception made my experience a positive one. Unfortunately the hotel bar did not have an outside seating area and as the weather was particularly nice we only stayed for one drink. That said it was the best Mojito I have ever sampled!!! The concierge then recommended the sky bar at the Hilton across the road - which was fantastic with great views of the Amsterdam skyline! In terms of location you probably cant get closer to the grand station and the transfer from Schipol only takes around 20mins in light traffic. The red light district is about a ten minute walk away so your close enough to walk there but not so close that you would need to worry about accidentally stumbling across it. Breakfast was a typical European Buffet offering although they also had the usual bacon eggs etc for anyone looking for a full english. I am not sure whether I would pay the same price per room for an extended stay if I was on holiday but as a business trip it was definitely a positive experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a free upgrade it can't harm!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Rajvinder K
Amsterdam
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Lovely hotel but not a 5 star (maybe 4 star). Service good except hand towels/face cloths were in short supply. Bathtub shower door was not installed and or repaired correctly - difficult to shower without flooding bathroom.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Hotel Amrath for 6 nights and could not be more pleased with our stay. Minutes away walking distance from Central Station, the hotel could not be in a better location. Many of the wonderful sites and touristy attractions in Amsterdam are within 30 minutes walking distance. There were also many wonderful cafes and restaurants for breakfast, lunch, or dinner very close to the hotel. The hotel is impeccably kept; clean, with beautiful, classic architecture paired with both antique and modern decor. The staff were incredibly friendly and eager to help with any questions we had. Any questions or requests were addressed promptly. We tried to check in early because of our arrival time, and even though our room was not ready we were still taken care of. We were given access to the wellness center to freshen up and our bags were stored away securely until the room was ready. The rooms were very large with beautiful high ceilings and windows. The beds are the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept in. I cannot remember the last time I slept so well while on vacation. The Nespresso machine and complementary mini bar were a great touch and were restocked daily. We loved having good-quality, fresh coffee while getting ready in the mornings. It was a fantastic hotel in an ideal location to allow us to really experience Amsterdam to the fullest.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple