“How after all my visits did I miss this?”

Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
Ranked #75 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Where can I start? I've been to 'The Dam' over 20+ times and for some strange reason I've never found The Grand Hotel Amrath.
What can I say! It's FAB!! The rooms are eclectic. The staff are Titanic. The Hotel is surreal.
Well, back to reallity.
It's a great place - class from an earlier time. The whole place is spotless, not a mark or blemish. You could eat off any surface, By this time of my review you can probably tell that I was very impressed.
High ceilings, coving, deep bath for two, a fully stocked mini-bar in with the price of your room. The wellness suite!! You would have to pay a 1st class place in the UK just to have a coke let alone access to the whole suite. It's in with the room price. Wow! Breakfast is the usual Euro25 but well worth it. The bar is cool with staff who care.
The decor is aca Rennie Mckintosh. Every floor and surface holds a surprise.
Truthfully, from now on, I will always stay at The Grand.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. Tell that people what you want and you will have it.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank oman54
Write a ReviewReviews (4,102)

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We booked a 5 day break at the Grand Hotel Amrath to coincide with our wedding anniversary. It was our first visit to Amsterdam. We were very pleased with our room, with a very good view and with the level of service received from all the staff. We enjoyed the food which was exceptionally good , having dinner on 2 occasions and breakfast on 4 mornings. The choice of food was varied and very good quality, beautifully cooked.
On the final day we had to depart early for the airport, so 2 packed breakfasts were prepared for my wife and I, they were delicious.
All staff at the hotel were friendly and most helpful, they made our holiday a very enjoyable experience. We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone.

The Mitchells

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mikem92uk
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 8 days in the hotel and it simply upgraded out whole vication.
Fantastic location-quiet but still not to far.
Extremely nice staff and a lovely view. but most of all- highly equipped room, everything we needed was there!
I would have visit again but it is way too expensive...

3  Thank Einav B
Reviewed December 7, 2012

The check-in and check-out service is lousy and they should have a separate counter to handle the process. Fair customer service, and cleaniness is fair. I found a bug on my pillow the last night I was with the hotel. I took the pic and show to the front desk person. He sent me a security guy, not consider helping me changing room and find the right house-keeper change the bedsheet. After spending 20mins, the security guy can not place the bedsheet probably. I spent my last few hours in another single bed. By the way, when I made the reservation online one month ago, I request for a king size bed. It end up they place me a room with twin bed on the ground level as the restaurant. The housekeeper does the vaccum at 6:30am I was awaken by the noisy day after. Besides the awesome wellness facilities, the rest is disappointed. In addition, they can offer better customer experience by using the wellness. For example, place basket that we can hold our glasses and other stuffs instead we have to carry our own plastic bag to keep our belongings. The locker is useless since it's located 100m from the sauna. I also had the hot stone massage for 55mins. I was shocked when I knew the male is going to perform the massage and I can only cover by a piece of towel. It's culture shock! Overall experience it's so-so, and might not visit again,except the Seven Seas restaurant there.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The building is incredible and worth a visit. Rooms are majestic and one doesn't even want to leave the hotel. However the service is at best so so. I bought a ticket through them to a museum and then changed my mind and they would not refund it. When I called down saying I was ready to check out, no one offered to come and help with the bags which I would expect on a top notch hotel. At check out they were seemingly annoyed at first with helping me with directions of how to get to the airport. When I was checking in it was odd with getting help with the luggage. When checking out (and I was in big hurry) the valet returned the car but dissapeared for 10 min with my car key so that I couldn't leave.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Jonas B
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We booked this hotel for my friends birthday. I have stayed in Amsterdam a few times but have always been a fair walk or taxi ride away. This hotel was perfect just a short walk to the station, and from all the places with atmosphere and good to eat in. But just far enough to be away from the night life.

The hotel was amazing with a great gothic look from the outside and fantastic room. I never sleep properly any where but the bed and assortment of pillows were excellent. Also a sizable bathroom and huge deep bath big enough for 2 ! Free mini bar stocked daily aswell as a good little coffee machine.

We arrived at8.30 am and couldn't check in till 2 but was aloud to store our luggage till check in. The staf were all friendly and extremely helpful
Couldn't say about the food or the bar though as breakfast was expensive and we chose to find other places to have a drink

Would highly recommend one of best hotel I have stayed in for a while and def the best I have stayed at in Amsterdam . We all thoroughly enjoyed our wkend and the hotel was a lot to do with that!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jaimie F
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 nights during our honeymoon here and had an incredible experience. Because it was available, we were upgraded to one of the largest suites in the hotel and it was nothing short of amazing. It was like staying in our own apartment-the bathroom was huge, we had roof access, a jacuzzi tub and a sitting area. The bed was comfortable, room spotless and we of course loved the stocked (and free!) mini-bar. The staff was very nice and helpful-the concierges were great with recommendations for dinner, how to get around the city and sightseeing options. They called a car to the airport for us and made a couple dinner reservations. The location was awesome, there was a lot to do within walking distance and the tram was nearby as well. I would absolutely recommend this hotel and would definitely love to visit again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple