“Worth a stay”

Ranked #71 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Siem Reap, Cambodia
“Worth a stay”
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Had a room for 5 nights, and we were very pleased.
Good location, clean room, free wifi at the room, free minibar, ok wellness area but a small "fitness" room. The wellness area has a small pool, sauna, yakuzi and steam bath.
The staff was very friendly and helpfull.
We did not eat at the hotel cause we found the prices a bit high, when you can go outside and get a good breakfast at a nice cafe.
Good hotel and worth a stay.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Samir V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (784)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Runnemede, New Jersey
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is a beautiful, historical art deco hotel in a great location. It is just a short walk from Amsterdam's Centraal Station, which was very convenient since I used the station often during my stay. The staff was top notch, very friendly and extremely accommodating. I would give a five star rating except for a few negatives. When I first arrived, I had to wait nearly half an hour for my room to be ready. The room was very small (but then, this is Europe), it was a long walk to the room with only one elevator and the TV remote worked very poorly. But probably the worst problem I had was that I couldn't find the hidden switches for the bedside lamps! (In this instance, incredibly, the staff seemed to be as clueless as I was in finding them- maybe something got lost in translation). On the last day of my stay I finally located them hidden in the bottom of the headboard of the bed behind and underneath several large pillows. On the positive side, the bed was cushy and very comfortable, the bathroom was modern and ample-sized, and the free mini-bar was very well stocked and convenient. There was a great view from my window (even a windmill)! But the very best thing about the hotel is the staff. I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Vegas Vick
Fernandina Beach,FL
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed one night at the Grand Amrath prior to an Avalon River Cruise. We had an amazing room on the canal. Floor to ceiling windows with electric curtain closer, very large bed, great bathroom (careful about the little step coming out) and a wonderful restaurant (Seven Seas) which exceeded our expectations on both service and quality of food for dinner and enormous buffet breakfast. The service and staff was excellent from check in to check out. If you can afford it, (About $440.00 US including breakfast) go for it. You will be very pleasantly pleased. P. S. a really great treat is the free minibar. We didn't drink a lot, but it was a nice treat and totally unexpected.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank agateman
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We arrived by limo and climbed the stairs, through the revolving doors to be met by an Art Deco masterpiece - Some would think it dark and old but not us. The marble and brown wooden decor was just what we expected. We booked in quickly although at bust times it would be a little cramped. We were shown up to our upgraded superior delux room which was spacious and well fitted out. Perk is free minibar with alcohol and soft drinks which were replenished daily - would cost you over 80 Euro at hotel prices. Had ordered flowers and champagne on arrival but due to mix up didn't appear for a couple of hours but Hotel provided at no cost!.. Had High Tea during stay which was excellent although not enough actual tea. Overall a great hotel with Good Staff in great location. Recommended.

Room Tip: Go for Superior Room with City View
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul5289
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I travelled along with my sister to Amsterdam in August for a week. Upon arriving I hadn’t even stepped out of the taxi and the front desk was already picking up my luggage and taking it in! Check in was quick and easy, we were then taken to our room by the bell boy. As soon as we stepped into the room, a smell of bad body odor was the first thing I got a whiff of! I thought maybe if I opened the window the smell would go away, it didn’t. They next morning I awoke went down to the reception explained my situation and asked if I could change rooms. They were extremely nice (and a bit embarrassed if you asked me) about it and offered me an upgraded room. This room was spacious with huge windows and an amazing view of the canal. It had a large bathroom with separate toilet, rain shower, very nice. The beds were the best part felt like I was sleeping on a cloud! I liked how the price also included the mini bar, which was restocked everyday. Housekeeping also came in 2 times a day which was fabulous, I’ve only known for them to come in once!

The weather during our trip was unfortunately rainy minus the last 3 days :(, but the hotel did provide us with some umbrellas! It is about an 8 min walk from central station, 10 min walk from Red Light District, and about a 20 min walk from Dam Square. It was a bit far, but it did give us a chance to see everything. I noticed the other hotels looked really small and crowded ours was a bit far, but massive with great sized rooms. The other hotels definitely don't have as much space.

We did a couple of excursions, but booked through Expedia when we booked our flight + hotel. I would definitely recommend a canal cruise and Anne Frank’s house. We also rented bicycles through the concierge great way to experience Amsterdam as well!

The swimming pool and hot tub were really nice and warm loved the saunas as well. The gym, was a bit small, but had standard equipment.

In all it was an amazing trip, Dutch people are so nice and friendly. Even though it was a bit of a walk from Dam Square I would still recommend this hotel it was breaking taking in and out and the service was exceptional, definitely a 5 star hotel! I love Amsterdam was one of my best trips!

Room Tip: Upgraded rooms are massive, with great views of the canal!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank kiki_05
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Location is only 10 mins tops from the start of the town and the station.
Room was very nice and clean with a great veiw over the town.
Hotel servis was very good, room servis is reasonable price and really good food.
We stayed here for the great looks of the old Art Deco.
Found this hotel through tripadvisor and then booked with expedia and the room came with a free three day mini bar.

Highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Rooms on the city side have a canal view and not the road
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PaddyBee_12
Maarssen, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 4, 2012

At the end of August I made a diner reservation at the Seven Seas, the restaurant of the Grand 5 Star luxury Hotel Amrâth Amsterdam for 29 of august for my wife and me to celebrate our marriage anniversary. One day before, I got a call that the reservation was cancelled because a relevant group hired the restaurant. Maybe we could have our diner in the bar or on some other day. No apologies, no concern for our situation. Next time when I am in the Netherlands, c.q. Amsterdam I will look for a 10 Star really luxury Hotel and Restaurant. I hope that in the mean time Amrâth will look for good emplyees and reconsider their attitude and behavior to customers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple