“Gothic splendour of the Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam-the difference is welcome in the midst of uniformity” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
Ranked #66 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

Having stayed in the Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam at the beginning of December 2011 we appreciated the warm, courteous and professional manner in which my wife and I were treated. The location is central for sightseeing and its proximity to the train staion is a distinct advantage.
The staff are friendly, attentive but not familiar.
The quality of the breakfasts are to commended as are the housekeeping staff.

Room Tip: choose a room with a city view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MALYSL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
truro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

Great hotel, art deco, huge bedroom, huge bed, very comfy, loved the mini bar.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Just got back from a 4 day trip staying here and we were very impressed. The staff were responsive, friendly and very helpful. The rooms are massive, stylish and the beds are amazing. Free minibar went down well, we also borrowed a DVD player from reception - they couldn't do enough for us. The spa is lovely - small but perfectly formed and the saunas, pool and hot tub were welcome after walking all day. The location is right on the edge of the lively red light district, but quiet enough to allow a good sleep when you need it! We stayed in room 309 which we recommend.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Sherbertlemon
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

The Grand Amrath hotel is beautiful both inside and out. The rooms are nicely decorated, large for European standards, the bathrooms nice, and the beds are very comfortable. Service at the hotel was top-notch; everyone was very helpful and courteous. The only reason this hotel did not receive a rating of 5 was because of the iron they brought to my room and the follow-up to the problem. I requested and received an iron so that I could press my shirt and suit for the following day's meeting. As I was pressing my shirt, the iron emitted hard water deposits all over it...staining my shirt with an off-white, tan mess. I contacted the front desk who immediately sent someone to my room. They attempted to clean my shirt in my room to no avail. They offered to have it cleaned, however, I was checking out in the morning. They then offered to have it shipped to my home...in the US! I declined their offer as this seemed a bit ridiculous to have it shipped to the US. They said, "sorry" and left the room. I guess upon check out I expected the amount of compensation they would have expended to clean my shirt, but was offered nothing. Overall, the hotel, bar and restaurant were very good...just don't use their irons!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Traveling_Man_1638
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

I stayed at the Grand Amrath this past August and overall I enjoyed my time there. It's in a really convenient location that's not far from the train station and the red light district (but not too close to a make anyone comfortable!) Basically, a lot of things are within walking distance and as single female traveler, that was important.

The building is a beautiful old shipping building. It's a little spooky and it's definitely easy to get lost inside it but the art deco style of the place is truly unique.

One thing to note, getting in and out of the hotel may be difficult as it didn't appear very handicap accessible as the entrance has a lot of stairs.

The room itself was beautiful and they upgraded me to a Junior Suite which was larger then some NYC apts! I also loved the complimentary mini bar which I definitely used after a long day of sight seeing!

While the service was generally helpful and courteous, I think they could have gone the extra mile to be truly considered a 5 star hotel. For example, I called several times about the air conditioning, which never seemed to get really cool. That should have been fixed immediately.

All in all, I was happy with my stay and if I returned to Amsterdam, I would definitely consider Amrath BUT, it didn't blow me away where I wouldn't consider trying another 5 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank MsNy
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

As someone who has traveled the world and stayed in countless, this is, by far, my favorite hotel. The hotel itself is incredibly ornate as it was originally a high end office building for shipping offices in the 1600-1700s. The decor and subtle nuaces make this building unique. From the exterior to the intricate designs inside, the decor cannot be matched anywhere. The location of the hotel, across from Central Station, cannot be beat. It is located within walking distance to anything in the center of the city. The service provided by the hotel staff is second to none. The rooms are exceptionally clean and very spacious. The ample free mini bar, which included, beer, wine, various liquor, juice, soda, water etc. was just an added bonus and was refilled each day. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who plans to travel to Amsterdam. Definitely the best value and highest service I have experienced in my three trips to Amsterdam

Room Tip: Deluxe City View Room was exceptional.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

I stayed in Grand Hotel Amrath/AMSTERDAM on the 18'th of November. Unfortunately, there was a leakage of sewage in our super deluxe room!!!! As a result of this, my laptop computer's bag and passport, some papers in this bag was damaged(I gave my laptop bag to responsible manager) . When i turned back hometown, i realized that my laptop's screen has breaken down too.Now I bought a new passport, a new laptop bag and gave my laptop to service for mending........ The responsible manager said that "we are very sorry and we will contact to you.we will compansate.Don't worry.............."and after then i gave my adress/e-mail/telephone etc. to him.Nobody contact to me in 15 days.And then one day an e-mail:
Dear Mr. Durusu,
First of all I would like to apologize for my late response and I hope I haven't caused you any inconvenience because of it.Other than that I am sorry to report to you that Grand Hotel Amrâth Amsterdam is not inclined to offer you compensation for the damaged goods mentioned in our conversation and the e-mail you've sent us.The reason for this is that after you had vacated the room our staff thoroughly inspected the sewage leakage mentioned by you that morning and found out that no such thing took place in room #031 either before, during or after your stay with us. Instead they found that a great amount of soda was spilt on the carpet in the room. After cleaning this soda stain no sign of sewage leakage has presented itself.Once again I would like to offer my sincere apologies for my late response and the unfortunate situation you've been in while staying at Grand Hotel Amrâth Amsterdam. If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
Kindest regards,
GRAND HOTEL AMRÂTH AMSTERDAM

THEIR LATE RESPONSE AND ANSWER IS REALLY AMAZING. I STAYED ONLY ONE NIGHT AND I WAS OUT ALL DAY. I CAME BACK MY ROOM AT MIDNIGHT TO SLEEP. SO SOMEBODY ENTERED MY ROOM AND SPILT A HUGE AMOUNT OF SODA. BECAUSE THERE WERE TWO BOTTLES OF SODA IN THE ROOM'S REFRIGERATOR.ALSO NOBODY(IF NOT MENTALLY DEFECTIVE) DAMAGE HIS OWN BELONGINGS.( ESPECIALLY IMPRORTANT THINGS LIKE LAPTOP(CONTAINS IMPORTANT FILES), PASSPORT ETC.) I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT KIND OF THING. FROM NOW ON, I AM VERY SORRY FOR THE THINGS THAT I WILL DO(LEGALLY SPEAKING) FOR TAKING MY RIGHTS.

I RECOMMEND YOU THAT PLEASE SHARE THIS REVIEW WITH EVERYONE AND DON'T STAY IN THAT TERRIBLE HOTEL.

Room Tip: There are a lot of hotels in Amsterdam.Choose another one.Not Amrath(pretend 5 star).It ıs not a 5 s...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business