$196
$192
NH Hotels
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $216/night.

$244
$192
Savings alert! 40% below average rates

The price you found is 40% lower than this hotel's average rate of $319/night.

Hotel Estherea(Amsterdam)
$290
  • Room Service
Hotel Sebastian's(Amsterdam)
$193
  • Bar/Lounge
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of $245/night.

Banks Mansion(Amsterdam)
$224
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 27% below average rates

The price you found is 27% lower than this hotel's average rate of $306/night.

Amsterdam Marriott Hotel(Amsterdam)
$171
Marriott Hotels
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of $225/night.

NH City Centre Amsterdam(Amsterdam)
$193
$176
NH Hotels
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of $209/night.

$209
$200
Kimpton
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $234/night.

$467
$316
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of $375/night.

Ambassade Hotel(Amsterdam)
$351
$324
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsseparate buildingbar downstairs istop floorcentral stationred light districtsteep stairsideal locationshower roomrooms are cleandam squarethird floorgreat showerwi fichecking inamsterdam centraalnikelredlight
Reviewed May 12, 2008

Booked the Old Nickel thru Bookiings.com, 3 nites for 180 euros total including breakfast during a busy time of year. Room was ready by 1 pm (they held my bags in the kitchen since I arrived in the morning). Room was small, as expected, but comfortable, with a sink, and TV. Request a room in the back if you are a light sleeper (I am not, and had a room on the second floor, and there was some street noise late at night). No problem with shared bath - only 4 rooms share toiled, and separate shower room - never did I have to wait at all, and the hotel was full). Bar was great at night - very friendly place. Breakfast was fair. Great value overall

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed March 2, 2008

We stayed at the annex which is about a block away. You have your own key and no curfew, as opposed to the main hotel which has a 4 AM limit to get back in. Also, there are no TV's in the annex rooms. No big deal. The room and shared bathrooms were both very clean. Noise was at a minimum. The only bad thing was the almost vertical stairs, which is typical for the area and not at all a surprise. I've stayed in quite a few one and two star hotel and hostels throughout Europe and can say that this place is slightly above average. I always weigh my ratings heavy on the attitude of the staff. Frank and Ellen, day and night bartender/front desk respectively, were both great. Ask Frank about sports and ask Ellen about vacationing in Egypt. You will get some great conversation along with your beer. The few minute walk from the train station can't be beat either.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank retrovertigo
Reviewed January 27, 2008

I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Old Nickel, January 18 - 22, 2008. I was traveling by myself (52 year old male). I've never stayed at the Old Nickel before, and I booked through Easytobook.com, a site I've also never used before. They had a good rate at 185 Euro for the four nights, so I somewhat nervously booked through a website I wasn't familiar with, but called the Nickel the next day to confirm, and they did have the reservation and confirmed the rate.

After taking the train to Central Station, it's an easy couple of minute walk to the Old Nickel, but a word of warning...the old Nickel is on a small street that not many people are familiar with, so it helps to have specific directions as to where to walk.

I loved this place, but you have to know what you're getting yourself into. The facility itself was quaint and lovely, a nice dark-paneled pub downstairs, with the rooms above, accessed by a buzz-through security door. The usual claustrophobic Amsterdam hike up three flights of stairs to room 12, which was quite nice but VERY VERY small. I happen to like small houses and rooms, but I'm talking small to the point where I could touch the opposite walls without stretching my arms out all the way. We're talking SMALL here folks, so if you're OK with that, go for it.

The room was clean, as were the shower and shared bathroom in the hall. I stayed in room 12 on the third floor. I've read some complaints about noise, but my stay was quiet and peaceful. I can sleep through a nuclear explosion, so if there were some loud partyers next door, it wouldn't have bothered me.

There was a nice flat panel TV in the room that is impossible to turn on. Ah-Ha! I finally figured out that they give you the remote control at the desk, in exchange for a 10 euro deposit. They gave the deposit back to me (without my having to ask) at checkout...let 'em keep it for a tip.

Breakfast was yummy, a fried egg 'n cheese thingie with three slices of white bread, butter 'n jam and a pot of yummy coffee.

The location was absolutely perfect, couldn't have been better, right on the edge of the red light district. There was so much to see and do within walking distance that I almost never felt the need to jump a tram or train , but if I did, they're right there.

Stay away from the rip-off taxis, and watch out for pickpockets. The area felt very safe and I never felt uncomfortable, even walking very late at night.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank DanaTeton
Reviewed December 18, 2007

The Old Nickel is located a short walk from the main train station in Amsterdam, just on the edge of the 'Red Light District'.

The main area down stairs is a old pub with Dutch charm. The staff are wonderful and make you feel right at home. Many beers are there to be tried and enjoyed.

Breakfast is a couple of eggs and bacon with good coffee, just don't ask for anything else. Good stuff.

The rooms are comfortable and the beds are just so soft and warm that it takes all of your will power to get out.

Toilets and showers are just outside the door and are clean and in good order.

Location Location, this place has it.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2007

Old Nickel Is a nice little Hotel .
It is very well situated, with a beer pub downstairs (not always nice people .. i've seen drunk people bothering customers, kind of you have to make leave your etablishment ).

-The guy was nice, but the woman was not very smily. Sometimes you seems to bother her when ask something.

- rooms are very tiny, and not really really clean (dust in the wardrobe and it seems they never clean under the bed)

- the problem with shared facilities is when you share it with human pigs that don't clean up the place before they leave.

- In my opinion it was very noisy . Both outside and inside ..nothing the owners can do ..but people slamming the door at 7-8 am or making noise because they're drunk at 3am are terrible. I guess some people don't know the meaning of respect.

- the worst : I woke up late on one day (spent the night before in airport) and room was just not done during the whole day. I can understand that from a hostel ..not from a hotel.

So ..don't expect for a nice and pleasant stay (probably the people staying at the same days were not helping).
But it's cheap for amsterdam single and very nice situated.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo