““The Hidden Gem of Amsterdam"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam Cribs B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Amsterdam Cribs B&B
You added Amsterdam Cribs B&B to your Saves list
Oude Hoogstraat 7, 1012CD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District (De Wallen))   |
Ranked #125 of 329 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
““The Hidden Gem of Amsterdam"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Nestled in a cozy little nook off of the busy Oude Hoogstraat, within walking distance of both Dam Square and Central Station, in the epicenter of Red Light, Amsterdam Cribs B&B is truly one of the hidden gems of Amsterdam. This affordable B&B served as the perfect launching pad for my Amsterdam adventure!

I arrived in Amsterdam on the 7:00 am train from Schiphol and was worried that I wouldn’t be able to check in till later; as is the case for most places. However, my on site host Barbara; was not only graciously hospitable (a truly knowledgeable host, who often led me in the right direction for whatever it was that I was interested in pursuing), but accessible as well. I was cheerfully greeted at the front door, given a clean, private room (equipped with Wi-Fi) with a bird’s eye view to the bustling action of the Red Light District and sent on my way. As I explored the city, it was comforting to know that my home base was minutes away from every major attraction the city had to offer.

If you're looking for cafe's, there are about a dozen within a 5 minute walk; one (Pick Up the Pieces) is right next door. There's a super market in plain sight and most pubs and restaurants are close by. If you're looking for anything specific or have any questions about how to get anywhere, just ask Barbara; that's what I did. All of the museums and cultural attractions are very close as well. The B&B has complimentary maps of the city. You can catch the tram to the station if you need to, but I walked; about 10 minutes on foot. Take a roadie with you and you'll actually be upset that you got there so soon.

Every night when I made my way back home, it was comforting to know that safety was not a concern. Amsterdam Cribs has only one point of entry, only accessible with a key, and each room has its own lock and key as well. Amsterdam shuts down around 1:00 am, for the most part, but I actually enjoyed coming back to my nest every night. After a long day, in the privacy of my own spot, I could post my pics, get in touch with friends and family (Wi-Fi) and open the window to let in the cool summer breeze while I lit up a night cap and recalled the adventures of the day.

I will definitely visit Amsterdam again and I will most definitely be staying at Amsterdam Cribs B&B!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Travel N

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Paid over 130 euros per night for a 4 x 4 metre room very hot, attic room. Climb-up extremely steep ladder/stairs to a room that is very clean but very, very basic. The young lad who met us was totally stoned and was highly annoying; trying to explain to us what he smokes and his daily smoking schedule - like we give damn. We didn't see any breakfast for the three days that we were there, we didn't even know where the klitchen was! So I dont think there is any breakfast. Left my ipod in the room - dont ever expect to see it again. Location is great, rooms are clean other than that not much else positive to say. Try somewhere else.

Room Tip: Attic room is super-hot try and avoid during summer.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank 101Tourism
AmsCribs, Manager at Amsterdam Cribs B&B, responded to this review, March 3, 2015
Dear Guest,
I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. We are a B&B classification but do not provide breakfast and it does not state we have breakfast. It also clearly states there is NO kitchen for 2 person room reservations and we have steep Dutch stairs. Regarding the loss of your I-pod; we did not find your I-pod and perhaps you lost it elsewhere. Many guests leave there items behind by accident from clothes to phones, etc. When ever we find something left behind in a room we contact the guest and mail them back the item if they want it.
Regards,
Management
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I've stayed in the Amsterdam Extreme twice, and I'll probably go back again. The location is great; just a 5 minute walk from Central station, right in the middle of the Red Light District. The kitchen has all the amenities, and there's a grocery store 2 blocks away. Big TV, DVD,nice comfy couches. The staff is very helpful and provided maps of both the city and coffeeshop locations. The wifi has very good speeds.

Room Tip: If it's winter, make sure to turn heater on when you get there.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Therron W
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Went to Amsterdam on the 1st of May to the 4th with a group of 4 lads and had a awesome time, which was made better staying at Amsterdam Cribs. The B&B quite hard to find; after circling the same place for ages, I gave them a call and they were very helpful. The B&B (no breakfast) and it's location was great apart from the bedrooms, which are a bit on the small side, but living room view made it up for it. There are bongs and grinders there for your use and everything was clean too.

All in all I've been Amsterdam 4 times and Amsterdam Cribs has been the best all round, hands down. :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed in amsterdam cribs in January 2013. The location is perfect. 5 min walk to red light district and dam square. Also means its easy to get there from the train station. When we arrived there, the owner sat down with us and showed us how to get to everything on a map which was very useful. The room itself and toilet was a adequte size. The room had all the essentials: a safe, bed, tv, dvd player, bongs, grinders, mini fridge and a fan heater. As the room is above a coffeshop and next to a main road, it was loud at times but always had a good nights sleep. The stairs are very steep and quite a challenge to get up, especially after visiting a coffeeshop. One of the great perks was being able to smoke in the room. The coffeshop below the accommodation though tempting as it is so close, doesn't have the best weed. I definately recommend the greenhouse coffeshop which is down the road (Candy kush is the one).

We only paid 180 pounds for 3 nights there, which is sooo cheap compared to other places in that location. I am definately going to stay here again and definately recommend it

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Nas A
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The Cribs was definitely a memorable place to stay. You can't beat the location for the price. I booked through the website and got an immediate email confirmation. The email had clear directions from the Amsterdam train station and they were spot on (10-15 min walk). We arrived very early but we were still able to store our bags, get our room keys, and grab a quick lunch. By the time we finished lunch our room was ready.

There is no actual sign indicating the Cribs B & B, but it is right where they say it is in their emailed directions. Look for the White door on the left. As other people have noted, the stairs are very steep leading up to the rooms. Not for the physically impaired in any way. It was the perfect place to stay for a couple friends partying in Amsterdam. We stayed in the Purple Haze room and they had pipes and bongs aplenty for guest usage. There is a coffee shop right next door to the Cribs, but there are much better spots within easy walking distance including the Green House.

There was no mention of breakfast so I would refer to the Cribs as hotel or hostel. We stayed for two nights and they didn't make up our room either. We were two guys so it wasn't a big deal for us but worth noting. Also, the hotel is right on a main street so it does get a little noisy. It's a no frills, cheap place perfect for a couple days of debauchery.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sean D
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have stayed in the Cribs around 5 times now. Everytime i have had a good experience, i can honestly say that the team they have there i.e Eric/Duke and the rest really go out there way to make your stay enjoyable. I was last at the Cribs in October stayed in the power plant. You will be near to the night life,but it wont disturbed you, to be honest by the time i got in in of a night there could have be an open air rave outside of the window but i wouldnt of heard it! (damn the weed is good) planning my trip for early next year and of course the Cribs is the only place i will be staying and all that have been with me and stayed in the Cribs say the same.

Room Tip: Save some money on food by stocking up at the Albert Heijn supermarket. Some of the local shops pric...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends