“You get MORE than you pay for!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel City Garden Amsterdam

Hotel City Garden Amsterdam
Ranked #240 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“You get MORE than you pay for!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2009

I wasn't expecting too much from this hotel as we just wanted somewhere to lay our heads and not much else. we paid for a triple room (£125 each for 2 nights). while the decor is dated, it was very clean and adequate for our needs.It looks exactly like its picture on their website. The room overlooked the vondelpark and was so peaceful you could hear the birds singing - not bad for a City room on the weekend Scotland were playing the Netherlands!! The receptionist was really helpful - she arranged some tickets for the Anne Frank Huis. Breakfast is cereals, toast, scrambled eggs etc (not full English) where there is a friendly sign saying eat all you can - and we did!! There is a PC for free reasonable use of the guests, so make use of it by booking tickets for the musems on line to avoid the queues.The street the hotel is in, is really safe, enough that i felt fine walking there on my own at night. Because the end of the street is basically a gate to the park there is no through traffic. At the far end of the street are the fabulous designer stores of the city (Chanel, Gucci, Louis Vitton) and also has a few nice bistros so therefore giving it a really chic feel. At the end of the street you are nearly at the Leidsplein area which is much less touristy than central amsterdam but has every type food and drink you could want wether its cheap n cheerful or something a bit more special. The coffee shops are not quite as seedy as they can be in amsterdam central. The Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum are round the corner as is the House of Bols Museum which was a surprisinlg good find (google it!) There is both tram and canal hop-on-hop-off stops near the hotel which is great news so you can avoid the riduclous taxi fares (€20 to go less than a mile!!) . My one (small) niggle was the hairdryer - it was an old 70's style thing that barely blew any heat (not good for 3 girls sharing but not the end of the world either!) Overall, i had to keep reminding myself this was a 2 star hotel, because in my opinion it certainly deserves more!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2009

I got sucked into booking this hotel due to generally positive reviews of this place on this site. I was also on a trip where I didn't want to spend that much money. I wish I had never set foot in this hotel.

Let's start with the positives. The location of this hotel is very good being just off the PC Hoofstraat which is Amsterdam's equivalent of Rodeo Drive so it's a good area and close to the Museum quarter yet also with easy access to the City Centre via tram. It is a very safe area. The breakfast was included in the room rate and was nice enough but the breakfast room was dingy like a cheap looking cafeteria.

The first room that the hotel reception guy showed me was full of marijuana smoke. I said that room was unacceptable and he upgraded me to what I suspect was actually the best room the hotel had. This room was actually a room for 4 people and was reasonably nice as it was very large. However this did not make up for the dingy nature of the rest of the hotel. There are no security cameras on any of the floors and the passageways are dingy, unkempt and a bit dark. I felt unsafe in the hotel as a few of the other guests were a bit downmarket particularly one or two of the guys that were staying there. Given that the hotel did not have proper security this had me very concerned as I was a female travelling alone on this occasion. I hated the feel of the hotel and within an hour of checking in decided to leave the hotel. I went out for dinner and used the time to inspect the other hotels in the area.

When I came back from dinner I told the guy at the front desk I wanted to leave the hotel and we reached an agreement that despite me having a 3 day booking I would leave the next morning.

I left the hotel the next morning in order to stay at a much nicer, highly professional hotel further down the road, called the Apollo Museum Hotel Amsterdam City Centre where I very happy and stayed for the remainder of my trip to Amsterdam. It cost a bit more [about 20 Euros more a night] but in return I got a highly professional, properly run, modern establishment which was much more the kind of thing I was looking for. Please see my review of the Apollo Museum Hotel.

The City Garden Hotel is unsuitable in my opinion for single women travelling alone to be staying. I also would not recommend this hotel for families. The City Garden Hotel is best recommended for guys on stag nights and women on wild hens nights and tourists who really are travelling on the cheap, want to be in the Museum Quarter and expect little in return.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Midwest U.S.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2009

I stayed six nights in early December in a single-bed room.. It's a wonderful hotel for the price. The room was small but very comfy. I booked it through Hotels.com for about $75 USD/night including taxes, which was much less than the advertised rates on City Garden Hotel's Web site.

The Good
- Staff is friendly. When I had a headache, one of them gave me aspirin.
- Pretty good free breakfast buffet. Juices, scrambled eggs, ham, croissants, cereal and more.
- Free umbrellas are available for your use.
- Free use of only computer and Internet connection by the lobby. (Wireless Internet required buying card - I think about 10 euros for a few hours)
- Convenient location - 15 minutes by Tram from Centraal Station. (Sorry I don't remember the tram number - Maybe the 5. To Van Baerlestraat.) 15 minutes walk from Leidesplein. 45 minutes walk to Damrak and Red Light District. 5 minute walk to trams in all directions. Right next to Vondelpark. PC Hooftstraat is a street filled with high-end shops. Near a bakery and cash machines for ING Barings and ABN Amro.
- TV in your room. Decent channel lineup - English-language CNBC and CNN International included as well as Dutch-language stations.
- Good shower pressure and hot water.
- Decently heated room. Great view of Vondelpark
- Non-smoking.
- Free bag storage room.
- Room was cleaned very well daily. Esp. if you leave a one euro a night tip.
- Payphone is available by the lobby (but it eats through your phone card quickly if you're calling a mobile number). Better to use a mobile phone. Phone in room, but there are charges that are a bit less than the phone card.

The Bad - None of these is a deal-breaker.
- Small compared to an American hotel room. But that's Amsterdam. Not a big negative.
- When you book through Hotels.com, the site doesn't collect the city tax of about 5 percent. (About $21USD in my case). You get informed at the desk that you owe the money, which kind of boils the blood pressure. The guy at the desk blamed Hotels.com.
- During my six nights, people smoked in their rooms, which they're not supposed to do, setting off the extremely loud fire alarm about three times - once, I was awakened from a nap.
- When you walk through the halls, you'll smell the marijuana, but that's common in Amsterdam.
- Decently but not super soundproof. While walking through the halls, I heard the sounds of a couple having some intimate time.
- If the guy at the desk in the middle of the night goes to the bathroom real quick or leaves the desk, he locks the automatic sliding door, so you can't get in or out for a few minutes..

Stayed December 2008
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2009

We spent a week in the hotel and got a great price for a superior double room. It had a great view of the Vondelpark. Room was nicely warm and had flatscreen TV. Hotel has great location for shopping and going to the Leidseplein or Museums. Nice breakfast with scrambled eggs. On the downside: As many have noted, the sheets have holes. There was a bit of a permanent odor in the bathroom. The keycards stopped working every couple of days. And the hallways have very creaky, noisy floorboards and you here everyone walk by your door early in the morning, plus their voices traveled under the gaps under the doors. Overall, I was satisfied, but could see how some might have a problem with the negative issues.

• Liked — Location and price/value
  • Disliked — Noisy hallways, holes in sheets
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Eugene
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2009

We stayed in this hotel with our two children as well as some friends who had children. Great location, very friendly helpful staff, and the room was more than we expected for the price. Rooms were clean, and the front desk was open 24 hours which was very nice. The hotel is on the end of a high end shopping street so it was a nice neighborhood, and very quiet. There was parking in front of the hotel, but we didn't use it because our navigation got us a bit lost! Our friends parked on the road though and their car was safe.

The only minor complaint that I had was that in our room there was a gap under the door of about one inch that let a lot of noise in. Our friends did not have that problem in their room, though, so I don't know if there were other doors like ours.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2008

We were initially in a triple room with a very tiny bathroom, but after complaining we were immediately moved to a much better room.
They should really do something about the sheets, since they all have holes.
But the location was great and the price so good that one could overlook these things.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bathroom size and very very slow internet.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2008

Very clean, nice hotel with an excellent staff. I lost my chain in our room but somebody from the staff found it and they shipped it for free; didn't even want to take the reward for the foundings. I would recommend this place to anybody while staying in Amsterdam. Btw. the hotel is actually very close to Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum.

• Stayed October 2008