“Value for money”

Hotel City Garden Amsterdam
Ranked #239 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed November 10, 2013

The room was clean but not very big. The breakfast was very good with a broad selection of quality food. Scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, a variety of bread, cereals, ham, cheese etc

Nice, service minded staff.

Good location in the most expensive shopping street :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for 3 nights. The room was very clean and the breakfast selection was very good. My only complain with the room was that we had problem with the shower head. It wasnt working well and the hot water was intermittent.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We booked this hotel through a travel agent for my husband, myself and our two sons of 13 and 15. We wanted a quad room as we were unfamiliar with the hotel. I was a bit apprehensive as looked at many of the reviews the week before we travelled and was wishing that we had booked somewhere else but it really isn't half as bad as some people are making out! I took note of asking to look at the room before accepting it and the helpful man (slim and handsome with very dark slick-backed hair!) gave two room cards and asked to choose which one we preferred after looking at them. They were both on the 3rd floor (as I had taken note of the fact that it was better to be on the upper floors). We took room 366 on the garden side (even though the room on the street side was a bit larger). The room was clean with very clean bed linen and towels (new ones if required each day). It smelt smoky at first but that odour disappeared throughout the 4 days we were there. However, the bathroom did have a strange smell in all the time (I had read about this in other reviews) which I expect was some sort of drainage problem (?!) so that was the only unpleasant thing. The room was adequate even with teenage boys sharing and the beds although small were OK. There is so much to see and do in Amsterdam, you are hardly in the room. The breakfast was fine and so was the dining room. A usual continental breakfast and the coffee was OK. The staff didn't seem that happy at breakfast but perhaps that was because a few people take food with them for their lunch (hence the notice in English on the wall saying "east as much as you like but don't take any food out with you" (fair enough). It was also good to be able to have breakfast between 7 and 10am. All the staff we saw at reception were helpful. We saw about 4 different people at different times of the day and if you spoke to them politely then they were helpful and polite to you and helped us find our way around. (I can't help wondering if those reviews where people complain about rudeness at reception was because they were rude themselves!). All in all, we would stay there again but perhaps check that there were no unpleasant smells coming from the bathroom. Oh yes, the location was very good - right near Vondelpark and not far from Museumplein. (Do be careful of all the mad cyclists around). Do visit Anne Frank House and Nemo as they were both excellent.

Room Tip: Check the bathroom for any unpleasant smells before agreeing to have it.
1  Thank Kathryn S
Reviewed November 1, 2013

No time to waffle so keep it to the point: noisy room on ground floor got moved to 3rd floor with leaking shower (got fixed 2 days later). Threadbare, ripped & mascara stained towels. No plugs.
Mattress toppers that fall off the bed base . Miserable female staff at reception and in the dining room. Musty smell in dining room plus cramped as chairs are too big for small tables.
Upmarket street but disappointing hotel. Wouldn't return and certainly won't be recommending it to any of my friends.

Room Tip: Don't unpack until your satisfied with the room they 1st give you.
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I booked through a travel company for the duration of 4 nights.
I picked this accommodation as the pictures and overall reviews of this hotel seemed quite impressive taking into consideration the price.

I may aswell have booked to stay in hostel, this is the experience you receive, from frayed carpets to a 'garden view' of the shed.

The room was dusty, only 1 power socket worked, hanging my head out of the window would have frayed my hair quicker than the hair dryer, they desperately need an areal as all you receive on the t.v is static, the bed is like sleeping in the gutter, with the mattress topper sliding from side to side resulting on me spending more time on the floor than actually on it, the telephone which is supposed to be used in case of fire didn't even have a wire to plug it in to the wall and the alarm clock also didn't seem to have anyway of connecting it to power and to top it all the window was broken and the wind blew my window open through the night.

This hotel is a complete shambles and not by far value for money, I didn't expect luxury but basic hotel cleanliness.

Stay at a hostel or add a little more to your budget and actually get some rest of an evening.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Blink-me182
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

me and my other half stayed here for two nights recently after getting married. When we first got there the man on reception was polite and efficient at checking us in. As we got to the room another couple turned up and told us it was their room. This was quickly rectified by the receptionist. Our room was small and basic but clean and just what you need if your planning on only sleeping there. The bed was the
comfiest bed I have ever slept in! And the room was very clean! We did not have
breakfast but it did smell good in the morning! Within walking distance to the whole city (we did not use public transport other than a taxi to and from the airport - 40€ each way). Overall, a good stay.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed at the City Garden at a time where there must have been some big convention/event going on in town because most hotels were fully booked. We took the risk to book two rooms at the City Garden after seeing the reviews. Here is my experience:

- They had 7 different internet connections, only 2 or so working each time. They tell you to just try another one until you find one that works, and the connection was slow and unstable. I'm happy it was not a business trip where I need to use my computer

- The beds were so narrow! the double bed consisted of two narrow beds put together and in my room there was a third bed. All three beds touched each other creating a huge bed. DO NOT book a triple room if you are going to colleagues, you will all get to share the bed...

- We had two rooms and in both we needed to close the bathroom door to limit the urine smell that got into both rooms. That was terrible.

- The handsoap and shower gel/shampoo are in dispensers attached to the walls. I relaly don't like washing my hair with the same product that I use for my body and if only the one for my hands wasn't empty for the entire duration of the trip....

- I could hear people in the room in front of mine. Not just next to mine but the one accross the corridor!

- Not sure if this is a cultural difference but the man adn the woman at the desk could use a smile and some thank you / how was your stay / have a nice trip type of politeness.

On the plus side:

- They had enough plugs around not to need to unplug the TV in order to charge your phone andd computer

- The location is quite good, very convenient with easy access to trams and supermarkets (there is a big one right by the museums)

- we actually slept well in the (small) beds

In summary: ok if you find other places booked or too expensive and if you only want to sleep (careful if you are sharing with colleagues).

Room Tip: Maybe ask to see the room first (check out the terrible smell in the bathrooms!)