“Would return, comfortable and clean”

Hotel City Garden Amsterdam
Ranked #240 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
“Would return, comfortable and clean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from Amsterdam, we stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. We have to say that I was concerned when reading the reviews on here, we really shouldnt have worried. Unfortunatly I was ill with a virus during our stay, but the staff were so helpful espeacially Loes on reception, she gave me a box of paracetamol (her own) and asked me how I was feeling every time we walked passed her. The cleaning staff were also very helpful, they always asked if we needed anything and we had our room cleaned every day and had fresh towels daily. The room had the following included: flat screen tv (had english channels and MTV), clock radio, kettle, hairdryer (not the best so take your own if your a female that has long hair) long mirrows, shower gel in shower, hand wash by sink, phone, comfortable bed, wardrobe and drawers, safe. The breakfast was nice, didnt eat mush as I was feeling rough, but my Husband ate well and the food was topped up and was fresh. The best part of this hotel was the free use of 2 computers with internet in the lobby, I could use facebook to speak to my daughter and as we flew with KLM, I could check in online. We will be returning to this hotel in December with my Family. I have given this hotel an excllant rating because for a 3 star hotel it is excellant. We have just travelled to Ibiza and stayed in a 3 star hotel and I wouldnt have let my dog stay there. If you want a palace you need to stay in a 5 star but if you want clean, comfortable, safe accomodation I would recommend Hotel City Garden.

Room Tip: we stayed in 406 which was quiet and had views of the city
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tracy T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We got a cheap (€55 for a 2 person room a night) room there, and it was what was to be expected.
On arrival the room wasn't clean yet, we could only check in from 12.00. The Vondelpark is just around the corner so we killed some time there. The staff is pretty friendly (in Dutch). The location for us was excellent, you can cut through the Vondelpark to the Leidesplein and be there in about 15 minutes.
We had a nice view of the park from our room, but apart from that the room is pretty ugly (completely functional for a short stay though). We only slept there and the bed was great, we had a good night's rest.
There is wifi available, but it was expensive (€2 for 30 minutes, slightly cheaper for more time). There are also 2 PC's in the lobby, but I'm not quite sure if they are free to use or not.
They have a secure room to store your bags, which we used after checking out for our luggage so we could have a few hours without it in the city, but they hand out the key to any guest without supervision. It was perfectly possible to check the other bags in there without anyone knowing (I just stayed in there for 5 - 10 minutes without anyone checking in on me).
As stated earlier, it's perfect for sleeping and showering when on a citytrip, but that is it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EnterQuery
Amsterdam
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Everything perfect, except room service forgot to cleanse the room. We can communicate but ignored us. The next day, we ask explanations and a discount for the service failed. We did not get more than excuses. They offered to leave the hotel later, but it was our last day in Amsterdam, we were leaving for Spain.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Maldon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

This hotel is very good for the price. Obviously you shouldn't expect 4 or 5 star quality when it is clearly marked as 3 stars, and of course the price reflects that. The rooms are small but certainly adequate. We stayed as a couple and the double bed was adequate, we both were able to get a good night's sleep on both nights. There was a working TV and a safe.

There was very little noise from outside as it is on a very quiet street. Some noise from other residents as the walls are probably quite thin, but nothing that caused us any disturbance.

Breakfast was also good, standard continental style, plus scrambled eggs - all of a pretty decent quality. This was particularly appreciated given that restaurants in the area tend to be quite pricey.

They offer a minibus to take people to the airport on the day of departure, but priced at 15 Euros per person this is much more than the short tram and train ride costs. We thought about using it, but the trams are fairly straightforward (at time of writing, number 5 goes from very near the hotel right the way to Amsterdam Centraal Station, about 15/20 mins) as is the train (there was an express train available with Schiphol airport as its first stop, also about 15/20 mins).

I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone seeking a short, reasonably priced 3 star break.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Archie74
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Despite their own website and travel agents details this hotel does not have a bar!! Very annoying when its pouring with rain, you're wet through and want to chill out. having a bar was one of our main requirements. Tea & Coffee facilities in the room but tiny cups! Comfortable, basic, and clean, though shower was a bit aged and leaky. Very comfortable big twin beds but pushed together, so not very intimate for a couple, as they moved apart!!!
Breakfast was self service continental, as much as you could eat and good value. Reception staff helpful and arranged airport transport for return. Worth it at 15 euros each, as the taxi charged us 20 euros just from the Central Station, and left us outside wrong hotel. As it was pouring with rain, we got soaked wandering around the roadworks. A bit of a trek into city centre, but short cut through Vondelpark very pleasant.

Room Tip: Request first floor, as only one lift which was out of order
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

I booked a single room and it was horrendous! There was mould just about every place you looked. The curtains were ripped as were the bedsheets. The smell was horrid due to the place being so filthy!
I immediately asked to be moved, I couldn't possibly live in such conditions. The young man at reception was very understanding when I brought my complain to him..WONDER WHY? Because there were people complaint all day, he was used to it! At least two couples were as frustrated as I was.
I was then sent to a room designed for a party of 6! I was alone and did not want so much space. Plus, the room had one tiny window. I was moved AGAIN to one there 'better' suits. It was cleaner but still below par...especially for a 3 star! I usually go 4/5 and this is the reason why. The best thing is the location...you're surrounded by a park, plenty coffeeshops and high fashion retail shops.

Not worth it guys.

Room Tip: Make sure you see some up to date photos!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank TrevorJohnson44
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

The beds and sheets were clean and comfortable. The receptionists were friendly and accomodating. The housekeepers were very annoying though and rude during check out.
Good stay and near to to tram rides.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple