“OK if you want a short stay and no bar!”

Hotel City Garden Amsterdam
Ranked #239 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Despite their own website and travel agents details this hotel does not have a bar!! Very annoying when its pouring with rain, you're wet through and want to chill out. having a bar was one of our main requirements. Tea & Coffee facilities in the room but tiny cups! Comfortable, basic, and clean, though shower was a bit aged and leaky. Very comfortable big twin beds but pushed together, so not very intimate for a couple, as they moved apart!!!
Breakfast was self service continental, as much as you could eat and good value. Reception staff helpful and arranged airport transport for return. Worth it at 15 euros each, as the taxi charged us 20 euros just from the Central Station, and left us outside wrong hotel. As it was pouring with rain, we got soaked wandering around the roadworks. A bit of a trek into city centre, but short cut through Vondelpark very pleasant.

Room Tip: Request first floor, as only one lift which was out of order
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I booked a single room and it was horrendous! There was mould just about every place you looked. The curtains were ripped as were the bedsheets. The smell was horrid due to the place being so filthy!
I immediately asked to be moved, I couldn't possibly live in such conditions. The young man at reception was very understanding when I brought my complain to him..WONDER WHY? Because there were people complaint all day, he was used to it! At least two couples were as frustrated as I was.
I was then sent to a room designed for a party of 6! I was alone and did not want so much space. Plus, the room had one tiny window. I was moved AGAIN to one there 'better' suits. It was cleaner but still below par...especially for a 3 star! I usually go 4/5 and this is the reason why. The best thing is the location...you're surrounded by a park, plenty coffeeshops and high fashion retail shops.

Not worth it guys.

Room Tip: Make sure you see some up to date photos!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank TrevorJohnson44
Reviewed July 14, 2012

The beds and sheets were clean and comfortable. The receptionists were friendly and accomodating. The housekeepers were very annoying though and rude during check out.
Good stay and near to to tram rides.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jaya_81
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here for the night whilst on a trip to Amsterdam with my friends and wasn't sure what to expect after having read the reviews on TripAdvisor. The staff were friendly and when we got to our rooms (we had 3 - a twin, a triple and a quad) they were all clean, comfortable and had all the facilities I was after.

I have stayed in Amsterdam a couple of times before and this has been the best quality hotel that I have found for this price range. I have stayed in a couple of places before which haven't been nearly near as good or as clean and I have to admit I was very happy with the hotel and found it to be extremely good value.

The only negative thing that I would say, is that it isn't as central as some of the other places I have stayed before, but the sleep quality and hotel completely made up for that. I would recommend this hotel to my friends as a well-priced, value hotel in Amsterdam which is perfect for a weekend break.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sophia F
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Myself and a group of friends stayed at this hotel over the weekend and I was really impressed with the place. The beds were really comfy and the rooms had everything you needed. We had a twin triple and quad room which fit all the beds in comfortably, I don't think the rooms needed to be bigger. I found the staff extremely helpful and the hotel easy to find. I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Alanna M
Reviewed June 24, 2012

ive just got back from a long weekend in amsterdam.stayed at the hotel city garden.it was very cheap only payed £35 per night including breakfast,and i got exactly what i paid for!room was tiny,very dusty,tv didnt work,and when they said they had given me a room with "park view" they meant a view to somebodys shed!however it wasnt all that bad,the reception staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was good:breads,croissants,cereals,cold meats,cheese,scrambled eggs(didnt look too apetizing tho).you get free internet at the computers downstairs by the reception so dont bother paying for the wifi.

all in all it was ok value,would recommend it if like me you have a very tight budget.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank eveningstar10
Reviewed June 16, 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank patimoxenco