“Great location just watch those stairs” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Freeland Hotel

Freeland Hotel
Ranked #201 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
Tours
“Great location just watch those stairs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

On a recent trip to Amsterdam I stayed at the Freeland Hotel.

The location of the hotel is well placed for walking the historic centre and canals. Just walk across the road and you come across the first of them.

The receptionist I spoke to was extremely knowledgeable about the area and gave me many ideas for places to go.

There was one niggle which was the breakfast. It wasn't the typical continental one that you get in a lot of hotels. rather you have to wait until you are served. Also, you are not asked what you would actually like rather it is given to you. So for example, I was given a plate with meat and cheese on it. Well, I am vegetarian so that put paid to that.

If you're not good at stairs then you'll struggle in the Freeland. Due to the age of the building there are the typically steep stairs that they have in Holland. is this a bad thing? No because it means its authentic but you need to be aware of it. The breakfast is what knocked the point off for me.

Overall though the hotel is very good, clean and welcoming staff. Tighten up on breakfast and you have a winner.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

It was my second time to amsterdam,my first time in this hotel.Perfect location,near leidseplein square, a place full of bars,pubs and shopping stores.....10 min far from hotel is a night bus to the airport at marnixstraat corner.It takes 40 min,and it costs 5 euro.Good breakfast for the money you pay,kind reception which gives you all the information u need.Clean room also.Only negative are the small stairs,cause there is no elevator and it would be problem for old people and family.Our room was at 4th floor so u get tired to go up and down....Me and my friends would stay there again!! Thanks freeland..

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ilias487
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We loved our room at the Freeland. It was on the 1st floor (2nd floor for Americans), had high ceilings, lots of space, balcony, wonderful, spacious bathroom. Very clean. It was a triple room and just great. It is in an excellent location, close to all public transportation (including the 197 bus to and from the airport), lots of great restaurants, and within walking distance of nearly everything. The only minor drawback is that it is a major party area, and especially on the weekends, people are spilling out of the bars across the street until the wee hours of the morning. With our windows closed (and the provided fans going, if need be), it wasn't a problem. Breakfast was nice. The staff are very friendly. Gay friendly too. Overall, I would stay again and recommend without any hesitation (and I like quiet!).

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so it can be a long walk up a very narrow staircase.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

A nicely run, privately owned hotel, with a very friendly feel about it. It is in a brilliant location for theatres and the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum - just a few minutes' walk away, and quick and easy by tram to / from the central railway station.

Hotels in old Amsterdam aren't cheap, so with this location the Freeland is good value. The owner/manager is lovely. She went to a lot of trouble when I lost my USB stick - and finally it was located and handed back to me. Free tea and coffee with a kettle in your room and another in reception completes the welcome.

The downside is that, as with so many old properties here, there's no lift - but the rooms and bathrooms are clean and it was a pleasure to stay here for two nights - with luck, I'll be back!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Our room was decorated very uniquely and had a nice artsy feel to it. The hotel is in a great location one block from main tram lines, which gave us easy access to many local sights that were too far to walk to. We were in Amsterdam for 2 days, got a 48-hr tram/bus pass which made moving around the city very easy. The hotel staff was very helpful and advised us about local sights and which ones we should book in advance. This saved us waiting in line for hours at the Anne Frank Museum and Van Gogh Museum, in particular. Breakfast was very good, fresh and served with a smile. Only downside was the steep narrow staircase to our room on the 2nd floor.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I booked a last minute room at Hotel Freeland and so managed to get it very cheap - just over 30 Euros. I wasn't expecting much for that price but was was very much satisfied with the room and hotel.

The location is fantastic as it is just a few minutes' walk from Leidseplein and the local bus that goes direct to Schiphol Airport.

The room itself is small, as I expected, but good enough for one person. It had a bathroom, some drawer space, a kettle with cups, and a really old TV that didn't work well. I was there in winter and don't recall a heat issue so the radiator which was beside the bed must have been fine. My only problem was the loudness of the toilet for about 10 minutes after flushing. Everything in the room and bathroom is pretty old. I don't think there was an elevator.

The man on reception and the woman in the breakfast room were both very pleasant. The included breakfast was fairly basic - hard boiled egg, ham, cheese, toast, etc, - but certainly good enough for a budget hotel.

At the Hotel Freeland you are roughing it a bit but I'm familiar enough with Amsterdam budget hotels (I've reviewed several at TA) to know that it is one of the better ones. I'm guessing a single room in this location would normally be at least double the price that I paid, maybe triple in spring and summer. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

The best thing about this hotel is the staff - very friendly and helpful - and the location, close to Leidseplein. Also a nice served breakfast. I booked a single with ensuite, and well in in advance of my stay I requested a quiet room; I received a quick reply saying I would have a room at the back of the hotel. This turned out to be right behind Reception, next to the ground floor public toilet and the stairs going down to the breakfast room, and facing the hotel front door. As a consequence I was driven mad by loud voices and slamming doors all night. When I checked in I was told that "the other single was noisier", with everyone walking past the room and overlooking the street. In addition, the room was tiny - the website does say that the singles are small, but there was nowhere to put my cabin-size suitcase and of course no desk. I don't mind small rooms - but not at this sort of price. Before checking out I noticed that their website was showing a (standard) price quite a bit cheaper than the one I had booked several months previously; when I pointed this out I was asked if I would be paying cash (ie, no credit card) and when I said yes the price dropped to the current rate. Despite the very nice staff, I can't recommend this hotel to single travellers unless you can sleep through anything.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo