“Great staff - fab location”
Review of Freeland Hotel

Freeland Hotel
Ranked #190 of 365 Hotels in Amsterdam
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Great staff - fab location”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

A nicely run, privately owned hotel, with a very friendly feel about it. It is in a brilliant location for theatres and the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum - just a few minutes' walk away, and quick and easy by tram to / from the central railway station.

Hotels in old Amsterdam aren't cheap, so with this location the Freeland is good value. The owner/manager is lovely. She went to a lot of trouble when I lost my USB stick - and finally it was located and handed back to me. Free tea and coffee with a kettle in your room and another in reception completes the welcome.

The downside is that, as with so many old properties here, there's no lift - but the rooms and bathrooms are clean and it was a pleasure to stay here for two nights - with luck, I'll be back!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Houston
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Our room was decorated very uniquely and had a nice artsy feel to it. The hotel is in a great location one block from main tram lines, which gave us easy access to many local sights that were too far to walk to. We were in Amsterdam for 2 days, got a 48-hr tram/bus pass which made moving around the city very easy. The hotel staff was very helpful and advised us about local sights and which ones we should book in advance. This saved us waiting in line for hours at the Anne Frank Museum and Van Gogh Museum, in particular. Breakfast was very good, fresh and served with a smile. Only downside was the steep narrow staircase to our room on the 2nd floor.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I booked a last minute room at Hotel Freeland and so managed to get it very cheap - just over 30 Euros. I wasn't expecting much for that price but was was very much satisfied with the room and hotel.

The location is fantastic as it is just a few minutes' walk from Leidseplein and the local bus that goes direct to Schiphol Airport.

The room itself is small, as I expected, but good enough for one person. It had a bathroom, some drawer space, a kettle with cups, and a really old TV that didn't work well. I was there in winter and don't recall a heat issue so the radiator which was beside the bed must have been fine. My only problem was the loudness of the toilet for about 10 minutes after flushing. Everything in the room and bathroom is pretty old. I don't think there was an elevator.

The man on reception and the woman in the breakfast room were both very pleasant. The included breakfast was fairly basic - hard boiled egg, ham, cheese, toast, etc, - but certainly good enough for a budget hotel.

At the Hotel Freeland you are roughing it a bit but I'm familiar enough with Amsterdam budget hotels (I've reviewed several at TA) to know that it is one of the better ones. I'm guessing a single room in this location would normally be at least double the price that I paid, maybe triple in spring and summer. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2014

The best thing about this hotel is the staff - very friendly and helpful - and the location, close to Leidseplein. Also a nice served breakfast. I booked a single with ensuite, and well in in advance of my stay I requested a quiet room; I received a quick reply saying I would have a room at the back of the hotel. This turned out to be right behind Reception, next to the ground floor public toilet and the stairs going down to the breakfast room, and facing the hotel front door. As a consequence I was driven mad by loud voices and slamming doors all night. When I checked in I was told that "the other single was noisier", with everyone walking past the room and overlooking the street. In addition, the room was tiny - the website does say that the singles are small, but there was nowhere to put my cabin-size suitcase and of course no desk. I don't mind small rooms - but not at this sort of price. Before checking out I noticed that their website was showing a (standard) price quite a bit cheaper than the one I had booked several months previously; when I pointed this out I was asked if I would be paying cash (ie, no credit card) and when I said yes the price dropped to the current rate. Despite the very nice staff, I can't recommend this hotel to single travellers unless you can sleep through anything.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2014

This is a very conveniently located budget hotel. Within a couple of minutes walk of the Leidseplein (tram line intersection with good trams going East / West and into and out of town).

My room was small, but well furnished in a basic but comfortable way.

Breakfast is good (and included in the price).

As the hotel's name suggests the liberal attitude of the city is evident in the hotels policy on LGBT travellers.

A recommended cheap but comfortable stay with good access to the city centre and sights.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Albia-Newton
Cape Porpoise, Maine
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

We reserved four months ago and glad we did. We stayed in Amsterdam three nights after a tenday river cruise. It was kings day a national celebration of the kings birthday. We were greeted warmly by Pascale and she made us capuchino. Our bags were carried up three flights for us. At 76 I couldn't do it myself. The room is quite nice and includes a delicious breakfast. The fee was about $ 575 including tax prepaid. Nice experience.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CapePorpoise
dhahran, saudi arabia
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night on 28th March 2014. Firstly, it’s conveniently located – just 30 minutes by public bus from Schipol Airport (Number 197, 5 euros, every 15 minutes). Just get off at Leidseplein and the hotel is 100 metres from the bust stop. The area is quite vibrant with several bars and restaurants. People everywhere. It’s a 15-20 minute walk to the city centre – Dam Square area. To get to my room in the hotel, I had to go up 2 very steep flights of stairs. No problem as I had left my heavy case at the airport. To open the door and be met with a miniscule room was frankly disappointing and my spirits were not lifted when I saw the small television which was more suited to a museum than a hotel room in a major European city in 2014. As the hotel was full (as were indeed all the hotels in the area, I was told) I had to make do with my lot and make the most of things. With the help of the kind man in reception, I managed to get the TV working, although the remote control was broken. I started to feel better when |I realised that the bed was clean and comfortable and that the shower produced ample hot water.
There are many positive aspects to this hotel, in addition to the location. It’s clean and quiet, there is excellent free wifi as well as free tea and coffee on every landing. Breakfast is included in the very reasonable price I paid for the room (63 euros). The three members of staff I met during my stay were kind, friendly and helpful – the man in reception, the lady owner and the lady who prepared my excellent breakfast earlier than scheduled as a favour as I had a flight to catch. Apart from the shaky beginning to my stay, I would have to say that the overall hotel experience was very positive.

Room Tip: Try to get a double room, even if you are alone.