“Friendly, clean, good value, good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Freeland Hotel

Freeland Hotel
Ranked #197 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
dhahran, saudi arabia
“Friendly, clean, good value, good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night on 28th March 2014. Firstly, it’s conveniently located – just 30 minutes by public bus from Schipol Airport (Number 197, 5 euros, every 15 minutes). Just get off at Leidseplein and the hotel is 100 metres from the bust stop. The area is quite vibrant with several bars and restaurants. People everywhere. It’s a 15-20 minute walk to the city centre – Dam Square area. To get to my room in the hotel, I had to go up 2 very steep flights of stairs. No problem as I had left my heavy case at the airport. To open the door and be met with a miniscule room was frankly disappointing and my spirits were not lifted when I saw the small television which was more suited to a museum than a hotel room in a major European city in 2014. As the hotel was full (as were indeed all the hotels in the area, I was told) I had to make do with my lot and make the most of things. With the help of the kind man in reception, I managed to get the TV working, although the remote control was broken. I started to feel better when |I realised that the bed was clean and comfortable and that the shower produced ample hot water.
There are many positive aspects to this hotel, in addition to the location. It’s clean and quiet, there is excellent free wifi as well as free tea and coffee on every landing. Breakfast is included in the very reasonable price I paid for the room (63 euros). The three members of staff I met during my stay were kind, friendly and helpful – the man in reception, the lady owner and the lady who prepared my excellent breakfast earlier than scheduled as a favour as I had a flight to catch. Apart from the shaky beginning to my stay, I would have to say that the overall hotel experience was very positive.

Room Tip: Try to get a double room, even if you are alone.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank dominic-blaise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Weymouth, Massachusetts, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We made a reservation for this hotel and they Cancelled it without notifying us! How can you refuse a valid reservation? Luckily we attempted to confirm this prior to traveling out of the country!!!! I am horrified with this service!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Perfect location - direct bus N197 from Schiphol airport (300m from bus stop), some trams to Central Trainstation. Located almost exactly between Museum Square and City Centre (10-20 min to each by walk), lively surroundings with numerous shops and multinational restaurants. Good public transport web to all directions of Amst. Modest but good breakfast: boiled egg, 3 pieces of ham, 3 slices of cheese, toasts, jams, butter,tea/coffee with milk. Attentive, friendly and usefull staff. Teapot in the room, free tea/coffe, sugar. TV/DVD, free Internet in the lobby. Small functional single room on the 3rd floor. Heating with no problem. Family atmosphere.

Minuses: smell from drenage system in the bathroom with poor ventilation (according to hosts because of rainy weather). Noisy at some nights because of beerbar (beer was fine there) just opposite the Hotel, but mainly of trams and emergency sirens below the window. No air condition in my single room, so it can be hot and very noisy in summer. No hooks for outer clothes.

Room Tip: Rooms to the main street very noisy
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Serge K
Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

The hotel is easy to find, clean and functional. It lacks of space, but this is Amsterdam. The staff is friendly and helpful. Breakfast is plentiful and tasty.
Bathroom is small, but functional, internet connection very good. The bed was not hard, but this is a matter of personal taste.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

The staff were very friendly and helpful, the woman who served us at breakfast was extremely pleasant and chatty. All the staff spoke very good English. The breakfast was substantial and tasty, and she ensured that of our preferences were met, including the vegetarians. The room was large and spacious. The bed's were comfy and clean and we had en-suite facilities with a powerful hot shower. The room had a TV, and coffee and tea was available on each landing. The hotel itself had a good central location, with easy access to transport and the most museums. There was no problem in leaving our bags in the reception or our last day while we out, around Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Room 13 was not unlucky for us, and had a interesting view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Tunbridge Wells
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We booked two rooms here in November, a double and a small single. The rooms were well furnished, clean and functional. The stairs upto the rooms were extremely steep but nothing to worry about if you are even half fit.

Nice touch tea and coffee available on the landings

Breakfast was a wee bit weird, hard boiled egg, bread and some cheese with orange juice with tean and coffee. The breakfast room is in the cellar and a wee bit snug.

Staff all very helpful and of course speak excellent English.

Next to the boisterous Leidseplein with the centre easily accessible by tram

There is a superb bar across the road called Lux I think, which is great for a nightcap

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed in Freeland for 3 nights from new years eve.
I must say although the stairs were a abit steep it was clean and tidy to a good standard. Very safe area.

Staff- EXCELLENT and v v helpful. Extremely welcoming.
Noon check in was just great!
Thanks to Bart, Pascale, Noorudin and all the other lovely staff we met even the lovely lady serving us breakfast.

we stayed with our 10 month old baby and I have no complaints. All questions were answered by staff, microwave and fridge available for use.

Location- awesome!!!
2 minute walk to main shopping area and food places etcetc
25 mins short walk to Dam Square though shoppinh street. Or tram is just 2 mins away.

One bus straight from airport to hotel which was perfect- €4 per person!!!

Highly recommend to anyone. Would and will most definitely stay again.
Excellent value for money.

• Stayed December 2013