“Trapped in a Time Warp”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Cake Under My Pillow
Ranked #146 of 336 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Milton Keynes
“Trapped in a Time Warp”
Reviewed October 24, 2007

I read with amazement the other reviews -maybe there is nother B&B with the same name. As a travel agent I look for value for money and this one failed horribly. The B&B is located above very quirky Amsterdam cake shop just around the corner from the Heineken Experience. My host when I arrived was one of the shop staff that read me the (strict) rules of the house and took my credit card payment before showing me my room. I stayed in the Orange room with en-suite and 14" TV with poor reception. It was clean but cramped and the shower overflowed flooding the bathroom floor every morning. There was no wardrobe and only hooks on the wall for my clothes with just two hangers. I had to use the same towels every day for 4 days as there was no maid service. When I asked for clean, dry ones and more toilet rolls I was accused of complaining. The room is at the top of two flights of steep stairs which are no good to the old or infirm. The other three rooms are above the main street with trams running all day and most of the night and so can be very noisey. The communal lounge is full of second hand furniture and the kitchen offers limited facilities (you are expected (told) to do your own washing up). I was fortunate that the other guests were polite, quiet non-smokers as we lived together like an extended family. Finally, I was charged £100 per night. In my view it was worth about £50 per night at best.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank Explorer_Traveller

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London
Reviewed June 18, 2007

Cake under my pillow is a cut above most b&bs. We stayed in the Green room, which was clean, large and airy with as many German Shepherd ornaments as you are ever likely to see.
We did not meet the owners but spoke to the girls working in the cake shop downstairs, who were all lovely. The kitchen was well stocked and catered for most tastes. Not only do you get to help yourself to breakfast, you also get vouchers for coffee and cake downstairs. The area isn't as posh as Jordaan, but has a more local feel to it and its only a 10 minute walk to the Rijksmuseum. When we go back to Amsterdam, we will book this one.

• Liked — Kindness of staff and catering
  • Disliked — Steep staircases!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank tboleyn
New Orleans, LA
Reviewed August 23, 2006

A wonderful experience to start our vacation. Location is wonderful and easy to get around! Staff is very gracious and helpful! We stayed in the green room. Nice, roomy and access to the kitchen, on each floor, to self-serve breakfast and snacks. The bakery was wonderful! Look forward to retruning!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — narrow stairs
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank bigtexbrad
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 11, 2006

This was the most romantic and wonderful time I have ever had. Siemon and Noam (the owners) are the most fabulous peope you will ever meet, they helped us find the best local places to see. I just fell in love with them both!! Make sure that you ask them about the wonderful Thai Restaurant, we went 3 times. Yummy!!
It was our first visit to Amsterdam, which we absolutely loved. We spent 9 days at Cake Under My Pillow, it is located in a very cool neighborhood and the rooms were so cozy and just beautiful. I really just cannot say enough!! The cake shop downstairs was amazing, they really bake the best sweets ever, and the girls that work in the cake shop are soooo helpful and sooooo sweet. You will love it here, We just can't wait till our next visit!!!

Ana and Jamie
Austin, TX

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2006

Possibly the best B&B I've stayed in anywhere, and certainly in a whole different league to most of the midrange accommodation in Amsterdam.

The room price includes access to a lovely sitting room with TV and magazines etc, and a kitchen stocked with (free) snacks including breads, cheeses, fruit, tea and coffee.

There is also free wireless internet access. Being there feels like being in a friend's appartment, rather than a hotel.

Rooms themselves were warm and pleasant, comfy beds, spotless en suite bathrooms.

The staff (who also run the cake shop downstairs) were friendly and sweet, and allowed us to keep our luggage in the office after checkout.

And the cake shop / cafe downstairs.. YUMM.. we sampled most of the cakes - the only possible bad thing about this place is the effect it could have on your waistline if you stay too long!

Five stars.