“Just about right”
Review of Hotel Ben

Hotel Ben
Ranked #331 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed at this hotel last year for about 3 or 4 nights. The hotel is small but comfortable, it might not be the best hotel in Amsterdam but it satisfies an individual's basic needs. Some of my mates didn't really like the hotel but I think it's really good value for money. I would strongly recommend this hotel for a group of friends who are travelling on small budgets

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have been staying in this hotel over the new year, and I have no complaint so far, the staff is friendly, Ron specially, did go the extra mile :-) Thanks a lot guys and I will definitely stay again, when I will be back to Adam.

The only little issue was that our room was facing an internal courtyard, which was full of pigeons,and i hate them...but for the rest I really couldn't ask more.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank An EasyToBook.com traveler
Reviewed July 17, 2012

This is a very basic hotel but is ideal for a short holiday in Amsterdam. We stayed here for 3 nights, and were very happy with our choice. We took the train from the airport and its only a 5-10min walk to the hotel. Upon arrival, we were told their card machine wasn't working and that we'd need to pay in cash. Becareful, I think this is what most places in Amsterdam do as they prefer to do business cash-in-hand. This was very annoying as we were not notified before our arrival and hadn't prepared for this scenario. It proved to be a bit of an inconvenience but got things sorted in the end. Our room was clean, the beds were ok, and the bathroom was small, clean and functional. There was also a small tv in the room but we never tried it out. Staff were friendly and helpful. The best thing about the hotel is its location! Close to all the major sights of the city. The main High Street and shops, Dam Square, RLD, and public transport links are all only a few minutes walk away. Overall we didn't really have any issues with this place other than the steep stairs which also weren't too bad compared to the other places we saw!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jaimie P
Reviewed June 23, 2012

The best thing to be said about this hotel, other than I am no longer there, is the location. It is a few minutes walk from the station, shopping area and RLD. Everything else about it was pretty horrible. It has all the characteristics of a dingy youth hostel, which is fine if you are paying peanuts, but this hotel is generally not as cheap as it should be. I think we paid £280 for 2 nights for a room for 4 which, on reflection, is criminal.

I was using the hotel for 2 days with a group of friends, we were really just looking for somewhere to dump our luggage, shower and then come back to for a couple of hours sleep. It was just about bearable for 2 nights. If you are looking for anything at all other than these basic functions, look elsewhere! If you are hoping to sleep unaided past 7am, look elsewhere!

The rooms are accessed via the steepest stairs in the universe, god help you if you have lots of luggage or are in any way disabled. As I left the Hotel Ben, I passed a family of Japanese tourists booking in and I remember feeling a huge amount of sympathy for them as they peered disbelievingly up the staircase.

Everything is dirty, the first thing the guy on reception said was "No smoking in the rooms, but if you do smoke make sure you open the windows". I never did find out where the fire escape was.

There is a church nearby which looks charming, but has loud bells which chime every half hour or so. These are intially charming too, but become less so at 7am. Other noises are available, such as shouting/snoring/sex from neighbouring bedrooms and shouting from passing drunks outside.

Needless to say, I won't be booking here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Seagulldan
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This Hotel is very close to the central train station and its neighborhood is the famous red light area of Amsterdam. Due to the location, the convenience of public transport is excellent.Being close such a lively neighbourhood chances of getting a good sleep at night is a privilege. The rooms are small and semi-clean. The bed-sheets were unkempt and there are stains of various nature all over the room (I am not too sure whether the same applies to the other rooms) but I wouldn't be surprised if they were same. The attached toilet is tailor made for one and our was also a leaky one. The general feel of the Hotel suggested so. Though it has to be kept in mind that these hotels are for the budget conscious and who intend to use the room mostly for keeping the luggage, a quick bath and occasional nap. We stayed here for one night and in that terms the overall experience was just about efficient. It should be kept in mind that if you are carrying heavy luggage, chances are that you will have to leave them at the reception. Typical to Amsterdam, the stairs are steep and you will have to take out the necessary utilities and change before you proceed to your room, unless of course you are given a room at ground level. I doubt if they have one at all. Could be avoided. I am sure to stay elsewhere on my next visit.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple