“Friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #219 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
Oslo, Norway
“Friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed 3 nights for business. Had a room in the basement at the back, with a private "garden". The room was of a good size considering Amsterdam (rooms do tend to be small) and it was nicely decorated. We got fresh fruits in the room the second day, a really nice gesture :)

Breakfast is plated in the reception/kitchen/breakfast room - really amazing how much functionality they got into that one room! The food was good and offered quite a variety considering the small space.

Some people have made complaints about the steep stairs of this hotel. This did not bother us at all. Only negative thing I can think of was that as our room was in the basement it did have a slight moldy smell, but opening the door to the back garden and getting some fresh air in took care of that. We had no problems with traffic noise (room away from the street).

The highlight of this hotel is the generous and friendly staff. Such a genuine and friendly a welcome we have rarely experienced. Felt really well taken care of!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Puenny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We spent 5 nights at the NL Hotel. Staff was ok. The room was small but nice. The bathroom had a good size, however, it got flooded every time we took a shower due to the lack of a door. I probably wouldn't stay there anymore as there must be better options for the price they charge.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

lovely quaint room. small but big enough for two. lovely, clean great staff. very helpful.

my complaint is the bathroom door was unlockable and see through and had gaps and the top and bottom. great if you are a couple but if not its very invasive?

the noise between 7am and 9pm is outragious if you are on the downstairs floor.

stairs are very steep! especially on the way downstairs they spiral.

Room Tip: try and get a room on the top floor if you want to sleep.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Herning, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel last weekend. Great location & decent breakfast. On Friday night after checking in; we asked if it was possible to move from the front basement room to another room as we found the noise from the busy street really loud & irritating. Unfortunately the hotel was fully booked so this was not an option. So we “bit the bullet”; popped in the ear plugs and went to bed late Friday night. Saturday morning 06:30: It sounded like a herd of elephants; with ear plugs in. The reason being that ROOM 2; is directly under the reception and breakfast area. When we once again asked another reception clerk if there was a room available because the noise from the guests going to and from breakfast was really annoying; he said they did actually have a room ; number 3 was available BUT we had to pay house cleaning because we wanted to move. This is where my heading “unreasonable” comes into play. When I asked the clerk if he had had complaints about the noise in this room before; he said YES. We paid €300 for Saturday night due to the city being full. When I mentioned €300 for the night and I thought it unreasonable to have to pay on top of this for an obvious “hotel defect”; he shrugged his shoulders and said; you want to move; you pay; it’s company policy. I run a small company that exports to 30 countries so travel extensively. Never before have I been asked to pay for moving within a hotel; even if there was absolutely nothing wrong with the room. So I believe NL Hotels policy is “unreasonable”; €500 for two nights and I was expected to pay housekeeping when it was the hotel's "known defect" that actually inconvenienced us!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Amsterdam, like all European cities, is pretty expensive for accommodation. This hotel is located in a great spot for the centre without being too close to get the noise of the bars or trams rumbling by. Unfortunately I asked for a canal view, which meant being on the main road of a pretty busy road outside the front of the hotel. The noise from passing traffic was loud, so I'm glad I had my earplugs with me.
The rooms are clean and well decorated. The shower room was clean although the glass doors don't shut out the noise so you get it from both windows in the main room and the bathroom. The aircon unit was really effective, just a shame no one showed us how to use it on the first night so we were really hot the first night. Luckily the second night we asked how to get it to work (needs the key inserting into a slot beneath the unit)
Didn't have the breakfast so can't comment on that.
Overall it was relatively cheap (£120 a night so I stress 'relatively') compared to other Amsterdam hotels (we booked it in June for August 24th stay), the staff were friendly, and the location I'd excellent. Perhaps a room at the back, off the main road would have been quieter. The stairs are also steep, but this is Holland after all!

• Stayed August 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I booked this hotel for 3 night to celebrate my wedding anniversary. my husband and I met in Amsterdam and so this is a special place for us. We had a comfort room, room 7; it has an amazing canal view. Yes, there are stairs but this is part of Amsterdam's charm. The city is totally flat so a few stairs are not a problem! Also, it is not a 5* hotel and does not pretend to be so other people's complaints on Trip Advisor seem a bit silly. I like the fact that the reception is not 24 hours. It means that if I have had a heavy night out, no one will judge me as I stagger in! It is close to Vondel Park, which meant that I was able to go for a run early every morning. It is central but not right in the heart of obnoxious tourist places. We stayed on one of the hottest weekends of the year and our air conditioning leaked. The hotel staff did everything they could to sort it out and kept me in yummy chocolates whilst they repaired it. Things sometimes go wrong, that's life. I believe that it is how the problems get sorted and everyone was amazing, which is the reason that I am giving them 5 stars here. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

On arrival staff were found to be very friendly and nothing seemed like too much trouble. We were able to leave our bags until our room was ready. Our double comfort room was clean and had air con which was a god send during the heat wave! Facilities were adequate and we had everything we needed for our stay. Yes the stairs are steep but to be fair I think this is a plus as it is traditional for the style and age of the building! As we used a separate entrance to reception, it was as though we had our own apartment in the heart of the city. We had an enjoyable stay and look forwards to staying here again after the refurb at the end of the year!

• Stayed July 2013