WINNER WONDERLAND

“Ask for a room at the back!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of NL Hotel District Leidseplein

NL Hotel District Leidseplein
Ranked #213 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Ask for a room at the back!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Amsterdam, like all European cities, is pretty expensive for accommodation. This hotel is located in a great spot for the centre without being too close to get the noise of the bars or trams rumbling by. Unfortunately I asked for a canal view, which meant being on the main road of a pretty busy road outside the front of the hotel. The noise from passing traffic was loud, so I'm glad I had my earplugs with me.
The rooms are clean and well decorated. The shower room was clean although the glass doors don't shut out the noise so you get it from both windows in the main room and the bathroom. The aircon unit was really effective, just a shame no one showed us how to use it on the first night so we were really hot the first night. Luckily the second night we asked how to get it to work (needs the key inserting into a slot beneath the unit)
Didn't have the breakfast so can't comment on that.
Overall it was relatively cheap (£120 a night so I stress 'relatively') compared to other Amsterdam hotels (we booked it in June for August 24th stay), the staff were friendly, and the location I'd excellent. Perhaps a room at the back, off the main road would have been quieter. The stairs are also steep, but this is Holland after all!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I booked this hotel for 3 night to celebrate my wedding anniversary. my husband and I met in Amsterdam and so this is a special place for us. We had a comfort room, room 7; it has an amazing canal view. Yes, there are stairs but this is part of Amsterdam's charm. The city is totally flat so a few stairs are not a problem! Also, it is not a 5* hotel and does not pretend to be so other people's complaints on Trip Advisor seem a bit silly. I like the fact that the reception is not 24 hours. It means that if I have had a heavy night out, no one will judge me as I stagger in! It is close to Vondel Park, which meant that I was able to go for a run early every morning. It is central but not right in the heart of obnoxious tourist places. We stayed on one of the hottest weekends of the year and our air conditioning leaked. The hotel staff did everything they could to sort it out and kept me in yummy chocolates whilst they repaired it. Things sometimes go wrong, that's life. I believe that it is how the problems get sorted and everyone was amazing, which is the reason that I am giving them 5 stars here. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

On arrival staff were found to be very friendly and nothing seemed like too much trouble. We were able to leave our bags until our room was ready. Our double comfort room was clean and had air con which was a god send during the heat wave! Facilities were adequate and we had everything we needed for our stay. Yes the stairs are steep but to be fair I think this is a plus as it is traditional for the style and age of the building! As we used a separate entrance to reception, it was as though we had our own apartment in the heart of the city. We had an enjoyable stay and look forwards to staying here again after the refurb at the end of the year!

• Stayed July 2013
Miami, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay. Despite the steep flight of stairs, the room was worth the climb. Roomy bedroom and bathroom. Very nice decor, comfortable bed, extremely clean and my room had A/C even though I don't think I turned it on once--I was usually out running around in the day and the nights, even in July, were cool enough that open windows sufficed. The personnel were top notch, extremely friendly and helpful. The location is a short walk from all kinds of shops, restaurants, and public transport. I stayed on the second floor, immediately off the stairs, and never noticed noise. I would definitely book here again when back in Amsterdam and recommend it to someone else.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Ramat Gan, Israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel a week ago for four days. First of all the room is terribly small. The sink was faulted and when it filled up with water, we had to manually pull the topping to empty all that water.

Also the stairs are tiresome and if you have back ache like me you would find it difficult to drag your belongings into and out of the room.

The last "treat" was when we checked in we were rushed to sign in papers. One of them mentioned that this is a non smoking hotel but we didn't read it because we were tired. Other than that, there are no no smoking signs anywhere in the hotel - not in the floor, not at reception and not in the rooms. However, because we smoked one cig near the window and were "caught", we were fined and had to pay 150 euro each ("A relatively low price" according to the chinese at the reception) without even being warned first. A no smoking hotel is fine! but if the hotel *really* does not want you to smoke it could make it clear to you that this is a non smoking hotel, and hang signs on the walls. But they want you to smoke in order to earn more money.

This was a terrible hotel and I would not recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ShirleyFaingold
NL Hotel distri... N, Manager at NL Hotel District Leidseplein, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Faingold,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you had a horrible stay.
Please let us pin out a few points.

Our average room size is around 15 - 17 square metres, which is mentioned on every booking sites. Your room size was around 21 square metres (excluding the bathroom), which is very generous for an Amsterdam 3 star hotel in the city centre. You mentioned at check in that you loved the room and especially the room size. The sink is not faulted. It has to pushed once and the lid will open automatically.

The staircases in Amsterdam in typical canal houses are steep. We are sorry for this. We do not have an elevator due to the house structure unfortunately.

Regarding the fine, at check in we always mention that we are non-smoking hotel. Furthermore at the front door and general hallways, there are signs that we are non-smoking. As it might sound unreasonable that you were fined for smoking inside the room, the fact remains that you are violating the hotel rules. There were ashes on the floor and next to the window. Not only will the room / hallway smell to cigarette smokes, where other guests will find disturbing, you also jeopardize ours and the guests safety when smoking in the hotel. We take high standards regarding our cleanliness. We simply cannot sell the room afterwards to the next guests if it was smoked before.
Once again, it was your own fault that you were fined for smoking inside the room, while being informed that there will be a penalty.

Unfortunately your review does not reflect the hotel true experience. Like many other travellers are mentioning is that they love our decor, the staff, cleanliness and the location.

Thanks and kind regards,
Management
NL Hotel district Leidseplein
Breda, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed with some friends in this hotel for one night, the bathroom is super small but clean.
The personnel is friendly and there is a good service level.
BUT! there rooms are very noisy... I was awake every time someone was climbing the stairs or reaching their rooms.. the worst was in the morning... Could hear every one having breakfast around 7h.... definitely good for early birds but don't expect to sleep longer that 7am...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends