“brill weekend in amsterdam”
Review of Hotel Pax

Hotel Pax
Ranked #248 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

1st time in amsterdam with the wife and we had a superb time...hotels location is superb and we loved our stay here....
2 mins from dam square...
we walked from the central station to hotel as well which only took about 15 mins...pubs

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank David O

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed at hotel pax in a private room with shared bathroom for 4 nights. The hotel staff were friendly and there at the ring of a bell if you needed them. The hotel was always clean, I saw them cleaning everything (including showers & bathrooms) on a daily basis. I got fresh towels every day and my room was small but had its own sink, kettle & fridge which was very useful. The location was great & safe, close to everything! It was also fairly quiet at night, you did hear the occasional bell of people ringing to get in from downstairs & church bells but nothing that kept me up all night.

There are a lot of stairs like people said. That's why I travel with a backpack to Europe. Good luck finding a budget hotel that isn't like this!

Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 24, 2013

If price, basic accomodation and location is all you need, PAX is good for you. We stayed 4 people in a 4 people room which was ok. Small toilet and a separate bathroom without toilet. Breakfast comes to the door in the mornings. Not the cleanest but ok to bear for a few days. The good side is the bargain price as everyone says. The bad sides are, the super steep steps in the enterance that needs to be watched out if you are high or drunk or just reckless, student dorm-like atmosphere and backpackers (They may be annoying for some with tons of noise and smoke in the corridors :) Again, dorm like rooms that are not the best looking ones. I dont wanna say I wouldnt recommend the place as I am well aware of the specific customer profile for this place. I personally wouln't go :) I am sure its a heaven for free spirit, camp sleeping adventurous folks.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank GulpYourWay
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

As far as budget hotels go, this is about as good as you'll get in Amsterdam. Pax is a two minute walk from the Dam Square on one direction, and the Anne Frank Huis and nearest canal bus stops are the same distance in the opposite direction. The hotel is quite cheap but unlike a lot of cheap hotels it has lovely decor and is very clean. The room we stayed in wasn't exactly spacious but it did have a balcony - very good for people watching - and a large shower room.
Breakfast is not included but Sara's Pancakes, Jennifer's Croissanterie and Bagels and Beans, all on the same road as Pax, offer wide selections of cheap breakfast dishes.
All in all, we didn't spend much time at the hotel but found it easy to get to from anywhere in town, easy to get into since we were given out own key, and generally very pleasant to sleep in. There's very little noise from the street below and my only complaint is that for the below-zero temperatures we experienced the single fleece blanket we were provided with was somewhat insufficient!
Stay in pax if you are in Amsterdam to explore on a budget, for sure.

2  Thank MBlunder
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

This was my first deployment to 'Dam and Hotel Pax would be my base.

The hotel is strategically well-located half-a-click south-west-west of the city square. It's the perfect spot to launch your assault on the museums and nightlife/afternoonlife alike. Pax was (and still is, I assume) a short march from the train station. This also includes a steep march up about 40 stairs to reception.

Our horizontal bunk bed took up most of the room, with it being about as far away from one wall as you are from this screen. There was also a bar fridge in which we kept our rations of alcohol and chocolate, and we were able to write letters to our loved-ones back home with the free Wi-Fi, which was handy.

R&R was sometimes difficult due to hostiles in the apartment downstairs that fired up the sound system at all hours, but that wasn't Pax's fault.

We lost a lot of good men and women to the coffeeshops of 'dam, but we gained a hotel we'd visit again.

1  Thank Ben P
Reviewed September 20, 2012

It was my first trip to Amsterdam, and it was a really nice experience! Hotel Pax I chose for its location that is really great. You can reach many interesting places so easy. There are a lot of restaurants and cafes around. And really the area is just so nice!
My room was upstairs, and bathroom and toilet were shared. I don't have problems with this, especially because it always was clean there, and everywhere in a hotel actually. Cleanliness was just perfect.
About stairs, yes, it can be hard to climb it for some people. But really such a stairs you can see in any another hotel, for Amsterdam it's a normal thing. And I liked all those many pretty mirrors of different shapes and sizes on a walls.
As always for me it was important to be able to get connected to Internet, and WiFi was just perfect. You can use it in your room.
The owner is extremely helpful and nice. A huge thanks to him for a nice stay!
I had a single room, it was small, but comfy. A big window was overlooking a backside, so it was calm, no any noise, except of sounds and music of church bell and clocks, that I really loved to listen to.
There is a kettle (also there is a tea, coffee and sugar in a little packs), TV and small fridge. Towels were changed every day.
Being a budget hotel, Pax is really good place for stay, and it's a good value for money. I would recommend this hotel, and I would choose it again if I ever need.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Nicki_Lena
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Great central location with nice big rooms (atleast the one we got was). It has kind of a hostel feel as we had shared washrooms and toilets, but that's not an issue with us. Great place for a younger couple to stay while exploring Amsterdam, as we we're. Cheap but much more private than a hostel. Would definitely stay here again and do recommend it. Also very clean, washrooms and shower were cleaned every day.

1  Thank Kyle C