New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“My first deployment to 'Dam.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pax

Hotel Pax
Ranked #233 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
“My first deployment to 'Dam.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

This was my first deployment to 'Dam and Hotel Pax would be my base.

The hotel is strategically well-located half-a-click south-west-west of the city square. It's the perfect spot to launch your assault on the museums and nightlife/afternoonlife alike. Pax was (and still is, I assume) a short march from the train station. This also includes a steep march up about 40 stairs to reception.

Our horizontal bunk bed took up most of the room, with it being about as far away from one wall as you are from this screen. There was also a bar fridge in which we kept our rations of alcohol and chocolate, and we were able to write letters to our loved-ones back home with the free Wi-Fi, which was handy.

R&R was sometimes difficult due to hostiles in the apartment downstairs that fired up the sound system at all hours, but that wasn't Pax's fault.

We lost a lot of good men and women to the coffeeshops of 'dam, but we gained a hotel we'd visit again.

1 Thank Ben P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Turkish first
Санкт-Петербург, Россия
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

It was my first trip to Amsterdam, and it was a really nice experience! Hotel Pax I chose for its location that is really great. You can reach many interesting places so easy. There are a lot of restaurants and cafes around. And really the area is just so nice!
My room was upstairs, and bathroom and toilet were shared. I don't have problems with this, especially because it always was clean there, and everywhere in a hotel actually. Cleanliness was just perfect.
About stairs, yes, it can be hard to climb it for some people. But really such a stairs you can see in any another hotel, for Amsterdam it's a normal thing. And I liked all those many pretty mirrors of different shapes and sizes on a walls.
As always for me it was important to be able to get connected to Internet, and WiFi was just perfect. You can use it in your room.
The owner is extremely helpful and nice. A huge thanks to him for a nice stay!
I had a single room, it was small, but comfy. A big window was overlooking a backside, so it was calm, no any noise, except of sounds and music of church bell and clocks, that I really loved to listen to.
There is a kettle (also there is a tea, coffee and sugar in a little packs), TV and small fridge. Towels were changed every day.
Being a budget hotel, Pax is really good place for stay, and it's a good value for money. I would recommend this hotel, and I would choose it again if I ever need.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Nicki_Lena
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Great central location with nice big rooms (atleast the one we got was). It has kind of a hostel feel as we had shared washrooms and toilets, but that's not an issue with us. Great place for a younger couple to stay while exploring Amsterdam, as we we're. Cheap but much more private than a hostel. Would definitely stay here again and do recommend it. Also very clean, washrooms and shower were cleaned every day.

1 Thank Kyle C
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Getting there: Hotel Pax was extremely easy to find! From Centraal hop on a number 13 tram towards Dam Square and Anne Frank Huis and get off at either stop as the hotel is located between the two.
Location: The location was perfect, with many attractions within walking distance. Anne Frank Huis was only a five minute walk away, you can also board canal boat tours there to see the rest of the city. The trendy neighbourhood of Jordaan which had lovely one off and vintage shops was also only 10 minutes away. Heading in the other direction was Dam Square with lots of shops, bars and restaurants. A little further on was the Red Light District which is a must see for tourists! There was a cheap supermarket near the hotel too which was useful for croissants in the morning!
Accomodation: We had a compact room with en suite which suited us brilliantly as we didn't like the idea of sharing a bathroom! The room was spotless and had a mini fridge aswell as tea/coffee making facilities. The decor was a bit wacky (bright pink wallpaper!) but as two 21 year old girls this wasnt really an issue for us! We were lucky enough to have french doors in our room which lead out to a lovely stone balcony with views down the street to Westerkerk.
Staff: The owner was extremely helpful and as we arrived before check in time he kept our bags so we could explore a bit before checking in. He also gave us a map, marking on things he recommended doing. Our flight home wasnt until late afternoon and again he let us leave our bags after we checked out until it was time for us to go to the airport!
Overall I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Pax, a great base from which to explore Amsterdam but I would only recommend to other young people who don't mind small rooms with a bit of a hostel feel. Watch out for the steep stairs!

Room Tip: I would recommend an en-suite room unless you don't mind sharing a bathroom!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rachael M
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Location:
This budget hotel is very well located. It is in the city centre but away from the jam packed chaotic scene. If you came with small luggage it is walkable from the central station. You can also take tram to reach this hotel. If you don't know which tram to take, ask around, people in amsterdam are really helpful and super nice. Also very close to Anne Frank Huis.

Check in:
We arrive early in the morning so we left our bags and went to Anne Frank Huis. The host was so helpful and friendly. He helped us with our heavy luggage. He even put them in our room we we return from Anne Frank Huis.

Room:
We booked for 3 person rooms and it was huge, next to toilet. We literally could hear it when someone used it. Bathroom is just across the room. Never had to queue for it though. Our room has sink, a small tv with lots of channel, towel, heater and electric kettle.

Hotel:
It has very steep stair so it is not for those with weak knee. There was one coin operated computer with internet at the common area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elyysa
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Well-located 1-star hotel, close to the Dam square. The owner is very helpful and friendly. Our room (number 14) was basic and clean, with a balcony, minibar, tv and free wi-fi. It's the room beside the reception desk, so it was a bit noisy.
Regarding the stairs... well, in Amsterdam many hotels will be like this. Unfortunately, we happened to be carrying two suitcases weighting 20 kg each, so climbing those 37 steps was quite an exercise. So it's not recommended to mature, obese or people with heavy luggage. For the young folks, it won't be a problem though.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Pula, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Okay, the stair really are ROUGH, but that's not a big deal given the fact that - it's Amsterdam! - all the stairs are more or less the same and awful (good for your work out).

The hotel owner is unbelievebly nice, professional and helpful. He made our stay a nice memory, thanks for that.

Since this is a one star hotel you cannot really expect much (there aren't many amenities to begin), but this place has everything that you can ask from a budget hotel. It's very clean, safe, warm (excually, it's too warm, we had to keep our window open all the time), it has free wifi and a delightful owner.

My only bigger problem was sleep quality. The beds are far from comfortable, they're, in fact, hospital or army bed - I'm not sure. And I'm sorry that we had to share a bathroom and the toilet - the next time I stay there I'll make sure I take the room with a bathroom and a toilet.

The best thing about the hotel was it's location. It's located in the very heart of Amsterdam, behind The Dam Square. All bigger tourist sites were in walking distance.

All in all it was a very pleasent experience and I would stay there again. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family