“Hickory Dickory Dock”

Amsterdam Apartments Alexanders
Ranked #189 of 337 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 23, 2010

We weren't expecting too much as it was a fairly cheap stay (about €800 for a two bedroom apartment for 5 nights). Location-wise, these apartments were good - situated in a quiet neighbourhood a short tram ride away from Amsterdam Centraal Station. The apartment itself was of a fair size but in fairly bad repair and with a very small shower/toilet cubicle.

Our real concerns were leveled at the lack of cleanliness in the flat. Although the linen was clean, when we first arrived we were particularly concerned by the sheer amount of mousetraps (four if I can remember). There were also mouse droppings under the table. The kitchen was also in a fairly dirty condition and there was lots of dust.

We asked Alexander for an alternative apartment but he said all his apartments had mice and told us to come back if we saw one. Therefore we stuck with the one we had and on the second day of our stay we awoke to find a dead mouse. We decided to check out three nights early. On asking for a refund he said he would not oblige as we did not accept transfer to alternative accommodation. Our refusal to move to alternative accommodation was due to the fact that he said they all had mice!

The free WiFi was great but temperamental so made it difficult to do work.

Great location and these could be well looked after, but with such a lack of cleanliness I was not surprised the mice had moved in. In the end we moved to an alternative hotel and had a great stay - if feeling a little out of pocket.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
6  Thank rtf_2000
There are newer reviews for Amsterdam Apartments Alexanders

Reviewed April 23, 2010

The free WiFi was great but temperamental so made it difficult to do work.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2009

The service at this place was some of the worst i've ever seen. The staff neglected to mention that the hallway doors lock from the inside, so when i left without a key I was trapped in the hallway for half an hour. After waiting for some time in a hot and poorly ventilated stairwell (as well as knocking on the only two doors available) I began banging on the walls to try to get someone's attention in the office next door. When the manager finally came over to let me out he had the nerve to get mad at me for making noise! He was exceedingly rude and pompous, saying that I should have waited even longer for the next person to come by, as if I didn't have anything better to do than sit in a stairwell on my vacation. I had no phone service(American phone), and no one coming back any time soon, so I had absolutely no other recourse in the situation than to call for help. The staff should have been apologetic since this was THEIR fault but instead they were surly and combative as if I was doing something wrong. When I asked for an apology the following day I was refused again by this haughty manager/owner who clearly has no idea how to act in the service industry. It doesn't matter what the facilities are like(which wasn't stellar to begin with); no one deserves to be treated like this. The manager/owner, Alex Van Ballegoijen, is outrageously rude and if you want to be treated with the basic decency due to any human being then stay away from this place.

• Stayed: August 2009
6  Thank revenge99
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Location 3 Da Costastraat 78. 1st floor apartment sleeping 5. Not in any of the photos shown in the advert and now I know why. The only positive thing was the space as it was 2 apts with the partition opened. I don't mind basic but I expect cleanliness no matter what the price is. The place stinks of damp and the blue carpet is filthy. We had to clean the kettle, toaster, dishes, utensils before use. There was water coming from the apartment above the kitchen. The beds are guest beds and mine was broken and wobbly. The whole place gave me the heeby jeebies and I am still scratching myself at the thought of it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank LMGHerts
Reviewed May 16, 2008

We were traveling 12 people between 20 and 35 years old. Our place was in Da Costrastrat.It is not on the Centum but it is walking distance or you can get a tram that leaves you at Central station.
You have the Van Gogh Museum, Anna Frank museum and the Heineken experience just 5 minutes walking as well as a supermarket and Coffee shop.
The carpets were not deeply cleaned ever and better not to use the vacuum cleaner because are full of dirtiness. As other posts pointed out, it seems that the other tenants were kicked off the apartments and left some belongings some of them expired. We found 12 kg of pasta in the cupboards, food in the fridge and the oven smell to Indian spices. I have to say that the bathroom, the bedlinen, the towels and mattresses were clean. What really worried me was the bugs that appeared in the kitchen, by the dishwasher and by the washing machine. That was very disgusting.!
It cost 40 euros per person per night. Not too bad for being Amsterdam. Amsterdam is my favorite city but this is the best place I have stayed.
Its good if you want :
A place too sleep.
A decent bathroom.
Intimacy.
to be just with your group of friends.
Cheap place to stay.
Its not good:
If you have dust allergies.
If you are bothered about ultra cleanness
If you are picky and posh.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2008

We recently spent 3 nights at the Hotel Alexander and found it somewhat disappointing . The hotel is in a very good location for the museums as well as the concert hall. Also with the Marriott just a half block away, there was good and reasonably priced transportation to the airport available. Also, the tram line to the center of town is very convenient. The continetal breakfasts that are included in the room price were most adequate. The downsides, however, were the size of the room - very small, as well as the noise from the adjoining rooms. We were either kept awake or were awakened frequently during the nights from the noises of the other guests. Also smoking (including drugs) in the rooms is also allowed, and this drifted into our room -- less than pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 16, 2008

We stayed in location 2 for three nights last week.
My biggest problem with the apartment we stayed in was the smell. The bedroom itself wasnt too bad but the communal areas smelled rancid.
The apartment was very basic. The bed was uncomfortable and the bedding was questionable. The shower was unimpressive and there was no toilet roll.
However, the location of the apartment was good (not far from the Anne Frank house). And there was no checkout time on the day we left.
As someone has said before me, this wasn't the worst place in the world but for the money you could stay somewhere much nicer.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends