“Not TOO bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dam Hotel

You added Dam Hotel to your Saves list
Dam Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Damrak 32, 1012 LK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #330 of 363 Hotels in Amsterdam
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Not TOO bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Looking for cheap holiday to dam, and for some stupid reason thought it would be cheaper to leave booking hostel until last minute and paid a lot more than previous prices seen. After wading the reviews and seeing the pictures of bed bugs we were dreading it! Overall we stayed for 3 nights, stayed here the first night then the second two we were sent to sister hotels ( only a couple of hundred yards straight down street either way). We didn't mind this, 5 boys out to see the sightst of the dam as long as we had somewhere relatively clean and safe for out belongings we didn't care and it just about did that. An annoyance was booking with hostel booker paid a 50£ deposit yet arriving at hotel they inform us that was the hostelbookers cut and then had to pay it again.
We had a great location and had a great trip, last words would be not as bad as expected and does the job

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Llew93

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Thai first
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Enjoyed my stay. it was quiet clean and basic. was dissapointed that couldnt smoke in the room. the wifi was ok. not very strong. staff was very friendly. Stairs are extremely steep (like everywhere) so be careful

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Jim W
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We just got back from an amazing time in Amsterdam! The only let down was the hotel! We were in room 101. The staff were very accommodating as the first room we got put into stunk of deep fried food emanating from the vents at the back of the restaurant, so we were moved to room 101.
The actual room was nothing special but it was totally fine for our stay. Clean bedding, little tv, clean shower etc and it overlooked Damstraat which was a little noisy because of the passing trams and tourists. BUT the worst part was that the doors in this whole hotel do not have safety closers on them so every single time someone leaves or enters, there is an almighty bang!
We arrived on the Friday night and on the Saturday morning at around half 7, the cleaners were going into their room outside our door, keys jangling, slamming the doors!!! We were unlucky with the fact that the cleaners room was there but that, combined with the downstairs door banging every other minute and all the other room doors banging, was just unbearable! We had to get earplugs the next day! I couldn't even be bothered asking to move again due to the horrible room we first had. It's a shame because if it weren't for the banging doors our stay would have been a whole lot better! The actual hotel is perfectly located and is super close to Centraal station and the red light district etc. its a bit rough around the edges but I don't care about that really! However, the noise inside the hotel was ridiculous! I feel like complaining but I'm on a high from being in Amstersam because its soooooo amazing that I just cannot be bothered to!
Next time I would stay closer to Spuistraat as its very beautiful and lots going on but quieter

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Lasvickers

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Christchurch, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I booked for 2 nights online to stay at Dam Hotel. The took an extra 210 euro out of my account without even telling me. They said this charge was incase I didnt turn up after booking online. They had nothing on their website about this extra charge. After I turned up and paid for the full accommodation, they did not return my 210 euro. Didnt even mention they had taken it. It wasnt until my card kept declining and I checked my account that I realised they had taken the 210 euro. When I confronted them at reception, they said they will return it in 7 days. (What was the point in getting it back in 7 days when I was leaving the country the next day!!) So demanding for it to be returned, they said they had done the transaction and returned the money into my account. IT WAS NOT RETURNED. After more confrontation, they said it might take a few days for the transaction to go through. Over a week later, back in my own country thousands of miles away, I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY 210 EURO. THEY SCAM YOU. DO NOT BOOK HERE. BE WARNED!!!
Also the rooms are TINY. Barely any space at all. We had to take turns opening our suitcases because of such little space. They say free wifi available, BUT IT DOES NOT WORK, Only on the first floor, but every other floor, the wifi does not work. WORST PLACE TO STAY, TERRIBLE SERVICE, TERRIBLE RECEPTION.

Room Tip: Just don;t book here at all!!! BE WARNED