“Great location, small rooms... couple of surprises...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Times Hotel

The Times Hotel
Ranked #178 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, small rooms... couple of surprises...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I'm not a negative person by nature and like to see the good in things, and while the Times Hotel wasn't a bad hotel, there were a couple of things that I was a little disappointed with.

We'll start with the bad and end with the good...

On arrival my room looked clean and tidy and, whilst it was small, it was suitable for my 3 night stay as i would be spending very little time in it. However, while hanging my shirts in the cupboard i noticed somebody had left a few 'gifts' for me... a jumper, half a loaf of bread and half a bottle of coca cola. I told reception, who were embarrassed by it and apologised. I can only assume housekeeping had been disturbed halfway through cleaning!

Anyway, the only other negative was the lack of electrical outlets in the room. There was 1. And it was on the opposite side of the room to everything.

So, to the positives. The bathroom was lovely, really nice powerful shower, and the bed was big and reasonably comfortable. The location of this hotel is superb, just a short walk from the Anne Frank Museum, some fantastic bars and restaurants and the more tourist areas (Dam Square and The Red Light District in particular) and the staff were great.

I assume my 'gift' experience was an exception to their normally great service and so I haven't been too harsh in my rating. Still, it would be too generous to give 4 or 5 stars.

Room Tip: All rooms are small... don't expect too much more.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank James K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised at how clean and nice this hotel was for the price and location. The reception staff was very pleasant and efficient. Special note: there is an elevator, but if you have a large bag, be prepared to lift it up and down a few stairs as you navigate from the elevator to your room.My room was very clean and cheery and compact in size but perfect for my quick visit to the city center in Amsterdam. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Kristen H
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

We stayed in this hotel with my boyfriend to celebrate my b-day. The hotel location is really good, you can take #2,5,9 trams from the Central Station to get there only after 3-4 stops. This is a very small hotel, which is friendly and the manager is a really nice and funny Lady. She helped us to solve some problem, which occurred during our first night and she was extremely helpful, which we do appreciate. I can suggest this hotel not only because of its great location, but because of the helpful management.

Room Tip: Room number 453 is a small, but a good one, but the view is not a canal view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Melinda V
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

This place is just amazing. Had a room for 4 and I must say that was very good value for money. The rooms was spacious, very clean and very quiet.
I would like to outlined the fact that the staff was very very nice and always keen to help. Was my first time in This hotel and for sure it won't be the last.
BRAVO

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank stp2013
Teesside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Could not have picked a better location alongside the lovely canals that wind through this beautiful city. The staff could not have been more accomodating and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. Arrived early morning Saturday and were offered a room without having to drop our luggage and return. The room was more than adequate for an overnight stay or longer, clean, warm and modern with tea and coffee making facilities, although we preferred taking coffee in the lounge overlooking the canal . My daughter and I were in the city for 2 days for the Christmas markets, wonderful atmosphere day and until late at night. We were gobsmacked as we walked out onto the street at night with the beauty of the homes all lit up and the bridges!! We took a cocktail cruise which is not to be missed to take in the central canals. Baggage store was a big advantage at the hotel as we weren't leaving the city until late on the Sunday.
For a comfortable stay with hospitality at its best and central location, The Times Hotel cannot be beaten for value for money!!
We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sue520i
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

The Times Hotel was excellent.. great location right on one of the many canals and close to everything. Great room, small however we felt like we where in Van Gogh's room as the whole wall was the painting of his room :) They offer breakfast for a fee we ate out, there's so much to see and do in Amsterdam you just want to get out there...
We had a few drinks out the front with a little platter and it was so relaxing after riding bikes around all day.
The Black Bike's where great we tagged along with a few other bike tours and found our way around very easily. Great atmosphere great customer service and all round awesome experience. Van Gogh's Museum and Anna Frank Haus are a must. Red light district is a definite... The Times will definitely see us back again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends