Prinsenhuis
$249
Ambassade Hotel(Amsterdam)
$248
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of $289/night.

$322
$331
Orbitz.com
Hotel Estherea(Amsterdam)
  • Room Service
All reviewstea leafbagel shopprinsengracht canalfull kitchengreat locationnice apartmentcoffee makerpublic transportationfew minutes walksupermarketaccommodationcafeslinensbicyclesdutch
Reviewed March 3, 2010

Staying at the Prinsenhius is like living in the apartment of your dreams smack bang in the middle of Amsterdam. The idea here seems to be to give you the experience of living in Amsterdam, not being a tourist, and the little extras (like free wifi, a free local phone, cable tv channels and a well outfitted kitchen) achieve exactly that. I felt so comfortable and at home in the Tea Leaf apartment after only a couple of days that my husband had to remind me that we had to move out eventually.

We stayed here for 10 days, including both Christmas and New Year. On our first morning, we were met by the new owner, who let us in out of the snow, and then called by later so we could pay up front. There were only a couple of very minor teething problems - a battery missing from the phone (perhaps taken by the previous tenants) which was immediately replaced, a few minor issues with the wifi connecting with an iPhone - but overall the service the entire time we were there was exemplary. He was very friendly and went out of his way to make sure that we were happy with everything.

The building is located on the Prinsengracht, and the views from the front windows and from the balcony at the back are spectacular. There is a great coffee and bagel shop and an Albert Hein supermarket a minute or two away. It's five to ten minutes walk to a couple of very good coffeeshops, to Reguliersdwarsstraat and the Flower Market and the shopping streets in one direction, to the Museum district in the other, and to some amazing food shops and restaurants on Utrechtsestraat in yet another. As a location for enjoying the best of Amsterdam, it's very hard to beat.

The Tea Leaf apartment takes up an entire floor of an old canal house, and consists of a pretty large living room/kitchen area, a good sized bathroom and a small but comfortable bedroom which leads onto the balcony. The decor is quite lovely, and although the use of very strong colours (green in this case) is quite striking and perhaps a little much at first, it grew on us quite quickly over the course of our stay. The couch is comfortable - perfect for lying on and watching the street - and there is a bench for eating at which is quite functional. The kitchen is fully stocked with all the glasses, crockery and cooking equipment you could need, plus a very good stove and dishwasher and a huge fridge.

There is storage room galore. The wardrobe in the bedroom would benefit from some more shelves, but otherwise there is room for everything.

The bathroom is also great, with a nice design, a great bathtub, a heated floor, a washing machine and a heated towel rail which serves to dry clothes on very quickly. The only thing I disliked was the shower, which had lots of hot water but the shower head sent the water out at an odd angle. The fact that this is the worst thing I can come up with to say should be an indication of how well thought out the design of the apartment was overall.

The bed was incredibly comfortable, with soft sheets and a very warm duvet, plus a Dutch Husband pillow. The comfort was let down a little by the other pillows which were slightly thin IKEA ones, but again, this is a minor complaint.

The apartment was well heated, and we were quite warm despite the snow and freezing temperatures outside. The balcony is tiny but functional for two people, and perfect for the odd friendly smoke, even in the dead of winter. The cleaner came every three days during our stay to clean and provided clean towels and sheets, and the entire apartment was spotlessly clean.

I loved staying here - it felt like home. We will be back, because I doubt I could bring myself to stay in a hotel in Amsterdam again, or indeed anywhere else but here.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tattoosydney
Reviewed March 2, 2010

It is a very nice place to stay. Excellent facilities including high speed internet. Margriet was very helpfull and supportive.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 31, 2009

I stayed in the Mandarin room (ground floor) of the Prisenhuis apartments over the Christmas period. This is an exceptional apartment - stylish, comfortable and with lots of mod cons (Sky TV featuring British channels, coffee maker, fantastic bath and shower to name but a few). The location is on the lovely Prisengracht canal which is very central. Tram number 16 will take you to the central station. On my stay I met the new owner who was very helpful and welcoming. I will return.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank ManontheMoon
Reviewed January 13, 2009

Enjoyed my stay at the Prinsenhuis. This was my first time at this location. Brick, the owner, was very helpful with any questions I had. I stayed at the Mandarin on the ground floor. Great kitchen to cook your own meals. Two tvs with satellite programming. Your own private patio. No noise.Nicely decorated. I found the place to be clean.There also was a phone and fax machine if needed. Will return for sure.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 14, 2008

We stayed in Prinsenhuis while my family was visiting Holland. We selected it based on TripAdvisor and other recommendations. First of all, the location is fantastic! Very nice area and very centrally located. Our room was a one bedroom, very comfortable for our family. The kitchen is also very handy for a family and there is even a washer dryer!!! The place is exceptionally well stocked -- when you arrive the refrigerator already has items and you can suggest things to the manager via email ahead of time. Really, there are only two drawbacks -- 1. the VERY steep stairs!!! and 2. the place is just not clean at all!! We had to re-wash the dishes before we used them, the floor was dirty, and the extra blanket was smelly and dirty. I would say that you should stay here depending on what is important to you - if price and value are more important than cleanliness, this is the place for you!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
brickogden, owner, manager at Prinsenhuis, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2009

We want to respond to the review why our guest found the apartment untidy. We had just hired a new lady to clean our building and she was very nervous about getting the apartment cleaned by the 14:00 check-in time. It is true and she informed us that did not clean the wooden floors because she felt she had not enough time. We have since explained to her that it is more important for our guests to check-in a little later to a perfectly clean apartment rather than check-in on time to a not perfectly cleaned apartment. We have not had a complaint before or since about cleanliness in the Prinsenhuis, and we thank our guest for bringing this to our attention!