WINNER WONDERLAND

Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center
Ranked #50 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Perfect location & Awesome Views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2009

Just got back from my trip to Europe. The Moevenpick was a perfect choice for me as it was close to Central Station and the city. They have a shuttle that goes to Centraal station every 1/2 hr or you can walk, rent a bike or scooter. Also right next to the hotel there is on going entertainment. When I was there were many jazz concerts happening. What an awesome place. No matter what room your in there will be a view. Room service was good if thats your thing. Staff was friendly.
This was my fifth trip to Amsterdam. I used to always stay at the Sheraton at the airport. Not anymore.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank James H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (902)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2009

Stayed five nights in early March 2009. The hotel has spectacular views of the IJ (I ws on the 17th floor). It sits over the water and the rooms face either north or south overlooking the river. It is very clean. Wifi in the room is free and in my room it was strong. The room layouts vary. I had a king bed, a desk and "couch" (more on that later). I noticed in two hotels in Amsterdam that they had a split duvet on the bed. It is two twin size duvets, which I found annoying. I am used to one large covering for the entire bed. If my wife was there, I would have hated it, but I did get used to it (sort of) after a couple of nights. The inordinately firm "couch" is the hardest couch I ever sat on. Not particularly comfortable for lounging. The bathroom is a nice size. but has this not-so-ingenious glass partition with a hinged end (I have no idea why). After every shower I had to mop the floor. Same thing at another Amsterdam hotel. I guess if you keep the water at a trickle, the floor might stay dry. Also, the tub has a very high side - be careful getting in and out. I had breakfast every day (it was included with our corporate plan) in the restaurant, which has an unusual layout. You can sit at high tables with tall chairs or low tables with awkward benches. The food was good and there was a decent selection. I did like that they left a pot of coffee on the table (most days). The room service menu seemed to be pretty limited. I only ordered in one time and it was delivered promptly. If you cannot get out, you are pretty restricted there. For the budget conscious, there is a Subway in the same building past the passenger terminal entrance. Interestingly enough, it is cheaper than in the US.

Service is somewhat spartan. Laudry? You have to bring it down to them- unheard of in better hotels. Shuttle? They tell you it runs every 30 minutes to Central Station between the station and the Water Taxi landing. However, you need to set up a reservation in advance. Even then I had some difficulties and had to cajole them once or twice into running me back or forth.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Tulsaguy
Barnsley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2009

Stayed for 3 nights wednesday to saturday morning, great deal too (£89 / night), Arrived early (11am) let us check in, I asked for a room high up and got one on the 12th floor. Didn't book breakfast but was offered it for 17 euros each per day instead of 23 euros so that was a bit of a result although a little on the expensive side, the buffet was superb with lots of choice and very helpful staff to attend to your every need..
The location is ideal just far away from the centre and just near enough, it is 1 tram stop away from Centraal Station ( Number 25 or 26), or a 10 minute walk. Public transport in Holland is superb, cheap ( approx 4 euros from the airport by train, and 1 euro 60 on the trams) and makes ours in the uk look like a third world service.
We ate in the bar on a couple of occasions and found this to be very good especially happy hour which was buy 1 get 1 free on all drinks, we had 5 cocktails each !!!
Theres a Subway sandwich store 2 minutes from the hotel which is open until 8pm if you need a snack or a nice sandwich and don't want to pay hotel food prices.
Will definitely stay again !!!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JDarbs
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2009

I'm very pleased with Hotel Moevenpick. The staff were really helpful, it's in a good location close to the Central station. The room was quite spacious, very clean and well equipped with an excellent view of the harbour. I didn't try the food as breakfast wasn't included in the package.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2009

When my husband and I arrived at Centraal Station in Amsterdam, we looked east and saw the Movenpick Hotel looming on the horizon. The hotel was perfectly situated for us, a short, pleasant walk from the city center (10 minutes), but far enough away that we weren't assaulted by noise and traffic at all hours. We chose the hotel because we got a great rate online, but we were surprised at how personal and comfortable this hotel was for a "business class" hotel. The rooms were extremely soundproof, and the cleaning staff was very respectful and quiet in the hallways in the morning, so we slept soundly. We requested a view of the River Ij and got one. The panoramic view from our window on the 12th floor was breathtaking: we could see the river and the entire city spread out before us. Every morning on our way out, we grabbed an apple from the front desk, and in the evening when we returned, we helped ourselves to a refreshing glass of mineral or sparkling water in the lobby. Bottled water was also complimentary in our room...a nice change from the American model of charging $5 a bottle! We very much appreciated the security safe in our room, the coffee and tea service, and the free wi-fi for our laptop. As we never eat breakfast in the hotel, the high price of breakfast didn't bother us at all. It's a better deal, and more fun, to find a cafe in town anyway. For late-starters (like us), eat the Cafe Panorama, on Raadhuisstaat--they have a great fried-egg, spinach, and feta on toast deal that is scrumptious! Probably the best thing about the Movenpick, for us, was the ability to rent bikes downstairs, in the parking garage, from Amsterbike. We were blessed with great weather all week, so we decided to explore the city like the natives, on two wheels. Our friendly and helpful bike rental guy, "Rad," set us up with sturdy three-speed cruisers, complete with bike locks and head- and rear lights. He even set me up with a basket one day, so I could shop at the outdoor market on Saturday. I would HIGHLY recommend renting from Amsterbike, even if you don't stay at the Movenpick. Rad was super helpful, his bikes are top-notch, and they have a special underground bike lockup area that made it easy to get in and out. We spent very little time in the hotel bar and fitness area, but both were very nice. Overall, the Movenpick was a wonderful experience, exceeding our expectations in every way. We would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank YogaMaria
wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2009

Stayed at the movenpick for 4 nights, found everything to be perfect, except the location. but didnt let that spoil our visit. if you come out of hotel turn left 100 meters and the number 25 tram stops there every 15 mins. and goes to central station or dam sq. or the hotel has a mini bus that goes to central station every 30 mins (must be booked in advance ) or if your feeling fit a 10 minute walk to central station.

The rooms in the hotel were beautiful, spotless clean, and if your lucky enough to get a room on a high floor, with view of the city even better, i asked for this at reception and they give it me.the view was fantastic. the rooms had tea coffee, bath robes slippers, iron ironing board, tv and radio,also pay tv for movies but found these a little over priced, think they were between 10 and 17 euro. the reception staff were very helpful and talked or said hello, good morning ect every time you walked past. also room service was fast phoned down for some drinks and they were there in minutes

Breakfast in the hotel was excellant, great selection of everything from full english, to a chef cooking eggs any way you fancied them and your usual contiental, never tried the resturant in the evening but looked very good. service at breakfast was fast, i have read on other reviews that it was slow, but cant agree, maybe they have got more staff? even when very busy coffee was constant.

Didnt try the gym or spa area but looked very good.

Bar area was very modern and price i thought was expensive untill we went into other bars in the city and noticed the prices were very much on par. about 5.00 euro a pint of beer. staff in the bar were like the rest of hotel very plesant and helpful.

overall could not fault the hotel itself in any way, just the location was a slight problem, we didnt let it spoil our visit.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank baddy95
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2009

This was a nice hotel, new with good ammenities. Rooms were comfortable and clean. Shower pulsated very strangely, bouncing from scorching hot to ice cold about every other second. Switched rooms and it did the same (7 floors lower than the first room). Made a shower rather unpleasant. Free wireless a plus in a city where everything seems extra and overpriced. However, this hotel is really out of the way. It is geographically near Central Station, but it is really not convenient to it. The hotel is built adjacent to a commercial pier and there is absolutely nothing within walking distance. In order to get into the city center, you really have to work for it and it takes much longer. Next time I will likely stay at a hotel truly within the City Center area.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business