“Mixed experience”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Mixed experience”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed here for work purposes because we were hosting an event in the adjacent building. confirming the block of rooms for our guests was challenging at times. Email response times could be slow and incomplete. It took me 3 weeks of effort to get my room confirmed. The facilities at this hotel are very nice and match the 4 star designation. Most of the service I received was also great and several people went above and beyond. However, certain people were unconcerned and lacked interest in helping with the internet problems and one person in the restaurant was grumpy and rude two days in a row. One day I went to have lunch and was told it was fully booked. I never expected to need a reservation for lunch especially and had no warning. So had to eat down in the bar. The wireless internet is extremely frustrating and enough so that I will try not to stay there again. You have to login every 4 hours and I only succeeded in getting my ipad connected once. This was annoying enough that it has made me rethink staying there again. The hotel has nice views over the river and is about a 15-20 minute walk to the train station. The free shuttle bus is a nice option. Spacious rooms and bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask for a view over the river and a higher floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank NYCtraveler9999
ManagerAmsterdam, Manager at Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear NYCtraveler9999,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us. We are sorry to hear your stay did not meet up to your expectations with regards to your event. Please be assured your several points have our attention and have been shared with the related departments for further investigation and follow up.
Thank you for your positive remarks regarding our spacious rooms and beautiful views.
We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you again and recover your negative experience.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (957)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, UK
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Apparently this area of Amsterdam will be very hip soon, but at the moment it feels a little soulless. It's only a 10 minute walk to Central Station, but there isn't much around here.

Apart from the "free" for 4 hours a day slow wireless (and wired in the room!) everything in the hotel is top notch, including the views.

My colleague tells me that the Executive floors are even better, with free beer, a special happy hour, proper free wireless, but that adds €70 a night

Great for the conference I'm attending, or for business, but wouldn't be my choice at this price point for a city break, simply because of the remote location and lack of local character.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
ManagerAmsterdam, Manager at Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Simon_Harrison,
We are pleased to read your positive feedback regarding your business stay with us.
Our modern hotel is indeed located just outside the city center, offering a quiet place to stay. Besides the short walk our free shuttle bus can also take you to the Central Station (advance booking needed). In case you plan your next visit to Amsterdam, many websites (including our own website) many times good offers can be found.

We hope to welcome you again in our hotel.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Modern class hotel, a bit sideway from the area of Amsterdam downtown.
Reaching the red light from there is a 15 minutes walk, unless you hop on then hotel shuttle that drives you to the main station.

So beside being a bit off the city, this is a nivce place to stay and get a view to the city. This hotel in one of the few tall building in Amsterdam. Typically buildings are 4 floors.

Good food, excellent serve yourself breakfast area.

Room Tip: avoid corner rooms, that are far away from wifi hotspot. poor reception.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
ManagerAmsterdam, Manager at Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Philippe C,
We are pleased you took the time to write your review regarding your stay in our hotel.
Thank you for your overall positive comments. Our hotel is indeed a modern building located on a quiet location on the banks of the river "IJ", giving fantastic views over the city and harbour. We apologize for the WIFI being insufficient in your room.

Should you wish to stay with us again, please contact the hotel directly.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Oh I wish I could review this property differently but I can not with good conscious.

I was in town for the Amsterdam Marathon and decided that I wanted a larger more standard type of hotel so that I could expect a quiet room, service and a good nights rest before a big race. I unfortunately received none of this at The Movenpick Amsterdam City Center.

My initial arrival was great, the hotel is located about a 10-15 minute walk from the main train station in Amsterdam. There is a tram if you have heavy luggage but for us the walk was fine. The hotel is located directly on the water and you can expect a breeze. Getting to the city sights was also close but you are NOT directly in the middle of the activity. You are however directly beside the cruise ships if that is of interest to you. Overall the location is decent depending on what you want with a tram stop in front of the property.

Room: Well the room was the best part of the hotel in terms of style. The bed was cozy, the bathroom smart and stylish. Rooms have a great built in sofa and everything is sleek and functional and spacious! My initial reaction was WOW what a nice room and being a high rise in a historic city we had great views.

PROBLEMS! The most important need from this trip was a few good nights sleep. That never happened. During my stay the properties to both sides of the hotel were hosting a music festival. The noise began around midnight and lasted into the morning hours. The sound was deafening. I was on the 18th floor and the spoon on top of the coffee cup actually vibrated off of the cup! It was incredible and obviously some sort of architectural flaw. The sound was so loud even with ear plugs you actually FELT the vibrations. I've never experienced anything like this except perhaps in a hostel years ago that was directly beside train tracks. But imagine a train going for 10 hours straight all night long.

I immediately called the front desk. They said that they were aware of the issue, it would not change but they would offer me ear plugs and a bottle of wine. This was at about 1am before a marathon. I passed on the wine but asked to have the hotel manager call me in the morning. He never called.

No apology was made, I went to the front desk the following day and asked for a manager. He said that they were aware of the problem and that they were sorry. NOTHING was offered in compensation. Thus the guests paid the price and not the hotel.

I called him later and asked for entrance to the executive lounge for our issue. He said that was fine. When I went to the lounge the treated me like a criminal and said I was not allowed. I told them the manager said I was and they questioned me again. So they called him and he did say we could use the lounge AFTER we were treated like criminals.

The next night the music was still going on next door but not as bad.

Overall the hotel looks nice and the employees were friendly but the property is not cheap and the management does not seem to want to make things right with their customers. I would NEVER stay here again. For someone who has stayed in so many hotels this is one that can easily be overlooked. I can imagine that if there is nothing going on next door and that you have no issues then the property would be fine but I wouldn't take the chance again.

The lack of sleep affected my competition and although the marathon was amazing I was not at my optimal and for that I partially blame the Movenpick Amsterdam City Center.

Room Tip: make sure there is nothing going on at the facilities beside the hotel because of noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RussellKP
Dear RussellKP,
Thank you for your post regarding your recent stay with us.
As discussed on that particular Saturday we are extremely sorry for the nuisance during that night due to the music festivals next-door.
Unfortunately we were not able to bring the sound levels down, even involving the police.
We have filed an official complaint against these festivals next door to avoid similar situations in the future. We are sorry that you have not been able to perform on the marathon as you would have wished.

If you do have a chance to visit Amsterdam again, you have my contact details, please do inform me and I will ensure you a perfect stay.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed two nights at the hotel for a weekend in Amsterdam. I used Priceline and got a super rate of $100. Upon arrival ( we were early for checkin be several hours), our room was "not ready", but if we wanted to upgrade, they could get us right in........well, not sure if it is the old bait and switch ( and we could have declined and they were happy to hold our luggage so we could start exploring the city), but we accepted since our Priceline deal did not include breakfast which was pretty spendy ( thinking 20 euros each, but don't recall specifically), it made sense to upgrade to get breakfast, immediate access to our room and complimentary happy hour (which is very nicely done with appetizers, wine and beer). All in all, still happy about our rate.
The room is nice, we had a great view. Robes and nice bathroom products, mini bar also included in the upgrade. Breakfast buffet very large with lots of options, omelettes etc.
Location- just over a bridge and short walk to Amsterdam main terminal. There is also a tram right outside the hotel if you don't want to walk. No problem.
Tip- if you have a car certainly avoid the super expensive garage located in front of the hotel. Use the public park at zeeberg just a couple stops away from the city by tram. It's only 8 euros and a good value.
My advice- pick the movenpick, if you get a good rate. I see their typical list prices are pretty high and for the money, I might select a hotel inside the actual city centre. Good luck!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Colorado626
ManagerAmsterdam, Manager at Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Co90210,
We are pleased to read your positive and extensive review regarding your 2 night stay with us. Your opinion is very important for us. We guarantee rooms to be ready at 15.00, regardless the type of room you book. Anytime rooms are earlier available, we enable our guests to check in earlier. We are pleased to learn you valued the upgrade and took advantage of the included benefits. Should you come by car, please conatct us or visit our website for alternative parking options. The garage, which is owned by the local government, is indeed expensive.

Please do visit our website for your future bookings or inform at your Travel Agent for good deals.

Tring
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed at this hotel with my wife and 7 year old daughter for three nights. Hotel was great, with spacious, clean rooms, a nice bar area, and helpful staff. Hotel is well located, just outside the city centre. A tram runs from just outside the hotel to the city centre every few minutes. Only negative point was the cost of breakfast - we were on a room only deal but wanted to take breakfast in the hotel. However, we were told this would cost €23 per adult, and €17 for our 7 year old. €63 for breakfast for a family of three is not far of extortion! A much more reasonable option is Starbucks just by Central station.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Stephen B
Dear Stephen B,
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are pleased to read your family stay has been a pleasant one, and you valued our spacious and clean rooms, helpful staff and overall facilities.
We are sorry to hear you found the price of our breakfast too high. Many times good prices including breakfast, can be found on our own website, or to be booked as a package through Travel Agencies. Maybe this is an option, if you decide to stay with us again.

Thank you again, we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I stayed here with the Insight Hertiage tour earlier in the year. Certainly the best hotel in my opinion that we encountered. Just stunning. The building cantilevers over the harbour, so you wake up with a magnificent view of liners, ferries, and all sorts of other shipping silently plying the waters in front of you. It is a very modern hotel with great staff and wonderful food. Like others, I coun't fault it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Geoffrey F,
We hope you enjoyed the Insight Heritage Tour and thank you for sharing your positive feedback with us. Our quiet location on the banks of the river "IJ" gives you, after a good night rest, beautiful views in the morning.

Should you consider to visit Amsterdam again, we would be happy to assist you.