“Noisy, room unmade, yuck”

Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam
Ranked #155 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed December 27, 2013

On a short break to Amsterdam, we paid a little extra for this hotel over other options, thinking "let's treat ourselves"... but when we arrived our room was unmade, with the bed covers looking like someone had just got up, and the TV blaring. We went back to the desk and complained, and they looked a bit put out. We sat in the lobby for 40 mins while they fixed the room, then went back up and found little improvement, the bed covers still a mess (this never improved and they were uncomfortable, too).

The room, while not awful, was also not very nice -- as so often, the clean modern funkiness of the public-facing lobby is at odds with the jaded, cheap-motel-style rooms and breezeblock-walled corridors. (The user photos on TripAdvisor look representative to me.) And it was *very* noisy both from the road outside and guests shouting and clattering around inside the hotel, both going on until about 4am on both nights of our stay. We should have complained -- again -- but after the response we got on arrival we decided to make the best of a bad situation and just enjoy Amsterdam. Very disappointing, we'll never stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andy B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,867)

Reviewed December 24, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed staying at this hotel. Ideally located for all main tourist areas of Amsterdam. Emmastraat tram stop is just around the corner from this hotel. Taking just 15 minutes from Centraal Station to the tram stop for Park Plaza Vondelpark. The area itself is very quiet from the main attractions, but very conveniently situated from the hustle and bustle!

We were completely blown away by the fantastic service and friendliness from Leanne in the hotel bar. She is so engaging and has a fantastic personality. My dad hasn't stopped telling all his friends who marvellous you were and how much you made a great impression on all three of us. Thank you Leanne you made our weekend really enjoyable.

We were also very impressed with the whole reception team, very professional and knowledgeable. They looked after all our requests with a great attitude and made our stay very special, thank you all very much.

We would definitely consider this hotel for a future stay.

Room Tip: Room 28 has a nice balcony and view over Vondelpark.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights and didnt have any complications except for the other guests on our floor constantly slamming their door and shouting. Staff were always warm and very helpful. The buffet breakfast is quite good too! The hotel is just outside of Vondelpark which is beautiful and has many exits into almost the city centre.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have been here twice and loved it twice. Love the location more than anything. There's a tram stop right near the hotel but at night it's quiet without all the downtown bustle. Amsterdam is such a great city break that on average I have stayed 4-5 nights at this hotel and have no complaints. They do hire bikes but you can get them much cheaper elsewhere. I just went for the convenience and hired a couple of bikes and it made getting around the city even more enjoyable for me.

Room Tip: Avoid being on tram side.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night with my daughter . The hotel is near museums and it is not noisy around the hotel . The hotel staff was very nice and helpful. We easily got the shuttle from the airport to the hotel and checked in earlier which was good because my flight came in at 6 am. We loved the room .

Room Tip: I am a light sleeper so I asked for a room on the higher floor and it was perfect.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I can see these reviews can put people off but from having searched so many hotels for my first time stay in Amsterdam I kept coming back to this hotel. It was very good value for money for my 2 day stay and I booked via ebookers. I found some good reviews on other sites so I took a chance and went with this place despite some bad reviews. My taste in hotels is good and usually matches the type of stay that I'm looking for e.g I've stayed in hostels to luxury suites in 5 star hotels so I am very fair in reviewing. I did think that I could potentially break my track record of staying in this one. This hotel may not look great from the outside, brown brick, looks a bit 70's etc but it is very nice inside. I found the staff extremely helpful and they printed off tickets for me free of charge when I had forgotten to do so at home, provided maps and any information that I needed. Hotel room was very clean, very funky with bright carpet (which some complain about - it's fine), dim lighting, dark wood sink units but it's supposed to go with the trend and funk that the hotel is about. It's Amsterdam, everywhere is funky. The bathroom is a bit weird - it is a half frosted glass cubicle that is not joined to the ceiling - it has a gap so you could hear everything from within. You would need to be comfortable with your partner if you are going to share a room like this. I didn't eat in the hotel but the bar and restaurant areas looked very nice and always had people around. The bar area always looked welcoming and warm but we were always in a hurry so didn't get to use this facility. Great location on the tram line 2 aswell. I would recommend this hotel - don't let the reviews put you off. I would probably stay here again myself. I would class the hotel as a nice 3 star.

Room Tip: I booked the superior double room and this was perfectly fine to stay in
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I looked at some of the reviews on here before I went and i just don't know how people can complain. It seems like I stayed in a totally different hotel!
We stayed for two nights and I thought it was brilliant. All the staff were very pleasant and offered help and assistance. The room was clean and big enough for the two of us. The whole place was very modern and smart and the food was great. And just a short distance into the centre of Amsterdam. Absolutely no complaints at all. Will definitely be back.... Starting to plan the holiday already! :)

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple