Having stayed at several properties within the Park plaza portfolio I was expectant of the usual mid market standard of the hotel group. What I was not expecting was the following;
1. Check in - Park plaza's internal system had assigned my booking to another individual of the same name- resulting in both severe confusion of the check in operative and me being provided with a sheet detailing this individuals personal details including address, telephone number and email address and passport number ? - unusual and also I would have thought against data protection laws.
I was then asked to "prove" the fact that I had a reservation by emailing my confirmation to the hotel - it seemed that the check in operative could not read the reservation on my laptop screen only on his ? Additionally the reservation number I repeatedly offer to quote would not suffice. Following the receipt of my email the check in operative was then more concerned about forensically analyzing why the error had occurred on the internal system than actually checking a paying guest into the hotel. 25 minutes later we were finally checked in - a perfect end to a day that started with a 5am flight.
2. The room - on entering our room the disappointment only increased. An attic room with a delightful orange and pink carpet greeted us. To the right was something that resembled half green house/ half latrine- call me old fashioned but sharing the sounds of my daily ablutions with my partner is not what I expect from a stay in a four star property. An initial inspection of the bed revealed what on first glance resembled scrunched up clothes beneath the sheets- actually just the duvet cover filling had clumped up ??
At least we had a kettle for a cup of coffee - alas it was not working !( later we found it was working - but only with the lights on !!)
This compendium of issues prompted me to return to the front desk to request both an explanation and an alternative room.
3. The front desk - I returned and spoke to the check in operative whom had taken so very long to check us in. I raised the issues and following a little discussion the following was offered
a. the duvet is just like that - when it gets washed it clumps up - no alternative ?
b. the "ensuite" was a concept installed five years ago to renovate the rooms - ( surprisingly) it has admittedly not been very well received !!
c. I was offered an alternative room -seeming success - however when I entered that room was an exact replica of the current room I was occupying !!! - therefore absolutely no assistance was in fact provided.
I can only encourage people to steer clear of this hotel and all the woes it may cause.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Park Plaza Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Park Plaza
- Park Plaza Vondel Amsterdam
- Vondel Park Plaza Amsterdam