“Fours stars...really??!!”

Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam
Ranked #161 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Having stayed at several properties within the Park plaza portfolio I was expectant of the usual mid market standard of the hotel group. What I was not expecting was the following;
1. Check in - Park plaza's internal system had assigned my booking to another individual of the same name- resulting in both severe confusion of the check in operative and me being provided with a sheet detailing this individuals personal details including address, telephone number and email address and passport number ? - unusual and also I would have thought against data protection laws.
I was then asked to "prove" the fact that I had a reservation by emailing my confirmation to the hotel - it seemed that the check in operative could not read the reservation on my laptop screen only on his ? Additionally the reservation number I repeatedly offer to quote would not suffice. Following the receipt of my email the check in operative was then more concerned about forensically analyzing why the error had occurred on the internal system than actually checking a paying guest into the hotel. 25 minutes later we were finally checked in - a perfect end to a day that started with a 5am flight.
2. The room - on entering our room the disappointment only increased. An attic room with a delightful orange and pink carpet greeted us. To the right was something that resembled half green house/ half latrine- call me old fashioned but sharing the sounds of my daily ablutions with my partner is not what I expect from a stay in a four star property. An initial inspection of the bed revealed what on first glance resembled scrunched up clothes beneath the sheets- actually just the duvet cover filling had clumped up ??
At least we had a kettle for a cup of coffee - alas it was not working !( later we found it was working - but only with the lights on !!)
This compendium of issues prompted me to return to the front desk to request both an explanation and an alternative room.
3. The front desk - I returned and spoke to the check in operative whom had taken so very long to check us in. I raised the issues and following a little discussion the following was offered
a. the duvet is just like that - when it gets washed it clumps up - no alternative ?
b. the "ensuite" was a concept installed five years ago to renovate the rooms - ( surprisingly) it has admittedly not been very well received !!
c. I was offered an alternative room -seeming success - however when I entered that room was an exact replica of the current room I was occupying !!! - therefore absolutely no assistance was in fact provided.
I can only encourage people to steer clear of this hotel and all the woes it may cause.

Room Tip: Choose an alternative hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mfletcher13

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Pretty typical European hotel, rooms very clean and efficient, everything works. The Vondelpark location is just down the street from Rijksmuseum, with plenty of bars, restaurants, shops in the immediate walking vicinity. About 15 minutes from Schipol by taxi, yet still in the "heart" of Amsterdam.

Breakfast (not included in room rate) is Euro buffet, with both continental and English, and quality just above average compared to other business hotels, but below what you would see at NH or Marriott.

Staff all super friendly, knowledgable, and helpful.

The hallway areas had a rundown, older feel to them, but the rooms are totally modern and updated.

I was by myself on this trip, and this hotel was perfect for that. Had I been on a family trip, the room would have been way too small.

Room Tip: Rooms in the "annex" are larger and have king size beds.
1  Thank Jon K
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Very centrally located hotel. Helpful staff. Hotel room not of the best, small, strange arrangement and difficult to work there as the desk did not have lightning. The rrom was somewhat worn down, especially the carpets. But a nice view to the park from a room at the top floor. Very quiet area, bed OK.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2013

10 mins taxi ride from the main nightlife in Amsterdam - or same by tram. Close to the park and the museum district. Rooms were bright and clean, bar was good if a little boring and restaurant was very good for breakfast (this was the only meal I ate there). I stayed three nights and the stay was very enjoyable. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Good:
Nice hotel, good location, easy with tramp, good breakfast

Bad:
Very bad service at reception. No smiles and when we had questions the staff in the reception were annoyed. They also forgot to clean our room. We were in Amsterdam because of the Marathon - but eventhough there were lots of runners at the hotel we did not meet any flexibility due to changing breakfast time or possibility to take a shower after the run.

Room Tip: Search for an other hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Where to begin with this disappointment of a hotel? Park Plaza should be embarrassed that their name is attached to this establishment. If you look at their hotel website there is a break down of the level of rooms available. The lowest level being a “superior room.” Of which there are 97 listed. But if you go to their photo gallery, and who doesn’t look at the photos of a hotel, there isn’t a single photo of these so-called “superior” rooms. I’m sure this was no accident. If they had photos of these rooms, then no one would be choosing to stay with them.

I assumed everyone in my group were staying in rooms just as awful as ours since we were all paying the same rate. The last night I was there, I toured several of my co-workers rooms and boy was I shocked. Shocked at how bad our room was in comparison, and shocked that someone could possibly say these rooms were all on the same “superior” level. We had 6 other guests come to view our room and they could not get over the shoe box we were staying in, and began to count their lucky stars that they had not gotten our luck.

So here’s the break down of this “superior” room:

The room had no bathroom. That is to say, no separate room for which to shower, change, relieve oneself etc. There were two completely clear boxes in the middle of the room. One was the shower, one was the toilet. The doors had some frosting at almost my eye level to my knee level. There was nothing left to the imagination if I wanted to use the toilet or shower. My room mate/co-worker, of the opposite gender, is taller than me, so this “frosted door” didn’t do anything. There were no shower hooks, and what good would they even do when I have to leave the “privacy” of the shower to even get a towel. There was a stool that our dirty towels were stacked on. I took to asking my room mate to leave the room just so I could use the toilet, and he began using the toilet in the lobby.

The beds were tiny and uncomfortable and heaven forbid you want to walk past the edge of the bed to get to the other side of the room since there was barely 1 1/2 foot of space at the end of the bed. But even if you do wish to go to the other side of the room beware, that wall/ceiling is where the tv is mounted, so my room mate has to mind his head under the tv and squeeze past the end of the bed.

What else, what else....oh right. No heater of any kind. There is only an air conditioner. Wouldn’t be a problem except it got below 50F at night. So I had to sleep in sweat pants, sweat shirt and socks. The window constantly felt like it was open so it was drafty and freezing and I could hear everything that went on outside my window. And since that was the only place to put one of my suitcases, my clothes in the morning felt like they were wet because they were so cold. I don’t know about anyone else but the last thing I want to do before going out into the cold is put on cold clothes.

In addition to the noise from outside the window, I could hear everything that was going on in the hotel. I could hear every door opening and closing, every voice in the hall. Everyone in our group said they felt like they were in a dormitory.

There are many lights in the room including two reading lamps over the bed. Too bad those don’t work. There are multiple light switches around the room. There was only one switch that controlled all of the lights, none of the others worked, so it was all on or all off. Which if you remember that really uncomfortable toilet situation means if I have to go in the middle of the night, I get to wake my room mate up with all of the lights on and me sitting on the toilet in the middle of the room! Good morning!

Under the carpet there was no padding. It felt like carpet on cement, so you couldn’t walk barefoot, but it was freezing in the room so you wouldn’t want to any way. Other people in our group that also had “superior” rooms were treated to actual bath ROOMS, garden bath tubs, rooms twice the size of ours, refrigerators and heated towel racks. Their rooms looked like heaven compared to the crap we were living in for a week.
If you are lucky enough to be put into one of the other buildings then good for you. The rooms are enormous, and beautiful. Everything is new looking, clean and spacious. You can see them on their website since those are the only photos they have of their rooms.

I read the reviews on here after being shocked at our room and saw all the people talking about the tiny rooms with inappropriate bath rooms. They stated that they complained to the front desk and that the front desk wasn’t surprised by the complaint and moved them to another room. I wish I had known that there were rooms better than our shoe box.

This is the 29th hotel I have stayed in this year alone, and I have to say this is the worst hotel of the year, congratulations Park Plaza! This room was a complete joke. Too bad I wasn’t laughing. I can’t wait to tell all of my friends to stay far far away from you.

Room Tip: Not in the main building where reception is, make sure your room number is only double digits.
3  Thank travel_work_love
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed here during a business trip and was satisfied with the room and the location of the hotel. It's close to the park if you want to go for a run or something at night or in the morning which was a big plus for me. The rooms are stylish and clean but small and I didn't like the fact that the shower and toilet was in a glass-box in the bedroom. The bed was comfy though and it was quiet during night. I will also warn everybody for the room-service food, it was hardly eatable, but there are several good restaurants in the nearby area.