“Perfect for chilling out” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam

Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam
Ranked #184 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
London
“Perfect for chilling out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Been to this hotel twice and will go back any day! It's 2 mins walk from the park, situated in a very nice residential area, quiet and beautiful, with a number of café-style restaurants close-by. A mainline tram stop is a 1 minute walk away. The first time we had a standard room with ultra-violet lighting and a nice bay-window seat on the second floor. The beds were... interesting - not the best I've slept in because they were sort of lumpy, but I still slept well.

The second time we had a room with a balcony (they call it park-view, but it just faces the park - still awesome) and a Nespresso coffee machine. Huge bathroom with a great open shower. You can hire bicycles and buy tram tickets from the hotel. Service is friendly. The breakfast is not spectacular (you can get a better breakfast for less at the Grand Cafe Willemspark across the tram station).

The location really makes this hotel, and considering the price, it's very good value for money.

Room Tip: "Park View" rooms are worth it, especially if they are in the separate building on the rig...
    • 4 of 5 stars
MNieuwenhuize, General Manager at Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear aneldebruyn,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us.

We are very pleased to hear that you have already visited us twice and you will return any day. Moreover, we are glad that you enjoyed the location, the park-view and the open shower.

I would like to apologize for the condition of your bed and I am happy to hear that nevertheless you slept well. Moreover, we appreciate your comment about our breakfast and we will definitely use it to improve this in the nearby future in the hope that we can exceed your expectations during your next visit.

Looking forward to welcoming you again.

Hotel Manager Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I really enojed our stay in this hotel. The room was lovely, very spacious with a big veranda. The breakfast was also very good, and I must say that the staff went out of their way to help. The hotel backs onto the beautiful Vondel Park, we rented bicycles from the hotel, the best way to explore Amsterdam. If your looking for something away from the main tourist area, but still close to everything, then this hotel is for you, the service was excellent, the staff were very friendly, which made the stay even more enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear GNunes,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us.

We are delighted to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us and we would also like to thank you for all your positive comments on our staff (which I have passed on to them), your hotel room and breakfast.
I am glad that you enjoyed your time in Amsterdam with the use of bicycles, which is indeed one of the best ways to explore the city! I hope during your next visits, we will be able to exceed your expectations.

Thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,

Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We had a nice time at this hotel. The staff seemed friendly. Our room was a little worn; the carpet really needed replacing and there was a faint smell of cigaratte smoke in the room; one day the cleaning wasn't paricularly well done (they must have been in a rush) . However, the room design was much appreciated as it had a separate area for our little guy's bed. We had a fridge in the room. Our bathroom also contained an extra large bath.

There is not much in the immediate area of the hotel. However, there is a high street a few blocks away with lots of Italian restaurants and a supermarket. Turn right as you leave the hotel (left takes you to the museums).

The hotel is in a very quiet location and is a 2 min walk to the park. The hotel rents bikes at the same price as the other renters (15 Euros a day). However, the hotel's bikes are in much better condition. It's about a 15 minute walk through the park to the Leidesplein (the start of the city centre) or a 5 minute bike ride.

If you have younger children, this is a great area. The Vondelpark has canopy walks, numerous playgrounds and bike riding.

If you're coming from the airport, the fastest way to get to the hotel is by bus 197 (every 15 minutes from Schiphol Plaza). The bus takes 20-25 minutes and costs 4 Euros. You need to alight at Haarlemmermeerstation. Then, it's a 10 minute walk to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Travellers_8
Dear Travellers_8,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us.

We are very happy to hear that you had a nice stay in our hotel and you enjoyed the service of our staff. Furthermore, we would also like to thank you for your positive comments on our hotel bikes and the location of our hotel.

I would like to extend my apologies for the condition of your hotel room. We appreciate your feedback regarding the carpet, cigarette smoke and the cleaning and will use it t further develop our daily operations.

On behalf of my team I would like to thank you for your visit and we hope to see you again during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Kind regards,

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

The hotel is situated in the outskirts of Amsterdam next to Vondelpark (well worth a stroll through) and within walking distance of the major museums (Van Gogh, Rijksmuseum, etc). It is a couple of tram stops away from the centre, but we always walked there and back and it never seemed a great distance. The area is really well to do, and there are plenty of small restaurant/bar/brasserie-type establishments dotted around for a nice dinner and drinks.

The staff are friendly and helpful, with excellent command of English. You can get advance tickets for the major museums, which saves a LOT of queueing time and stress (nb. you'll probably still need to q a bit, but the advance ticket queues are shorter), and ours were a little discounted too. Our room was an executive suite, it was large, clean, it had a tv with lots of channels (including bbc one, two, and three, and itv 1 and 2), a fridge, complementary coffee and tea, and the bed was very comfy and warm. I found the room was very quiet, we were there at high season and I never heard any other guests (though there were plenty at the hotel).

The only issue I had, and I noticed others have mentioned it too, was the ensuite. The toilet was sectioned off the by (frosted) glass walls which didn't reach the ceiling, meaning there was very little privacy. In the end, we had to resort to using the public restrooms downstairs -that in itself wasn't a major thing, but considering we decided to pay a bit extra to have an ensuite room, the toilet set up kind of defeated the purpose of an ensuite.

I am glad we stayed at the Vondelpark Plaza as it is in a very nice area and Vonderpark is wonderful, but I am uncertain about the ensuite. If it is not the sort of thing that bothers you, I would heartily recommend the hotel.

1 Thank owly123
AvKemenade, General Manager at Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Owly123,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your stay with us.

We are happy to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable and also we would like to thank you for your positive comments on our staff and hotel services.

I would like to apologize for inconvenience the room set up might has caused. I can only apologize to you, and also inform you that despite the inconvenience it might cause, this is part of the Hotel design.
We appreciate your given feedback and will definitely use it to fine tune our operations in the future.

Thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you in the future when you are back in Amsterdam.

Best regards,

Maarten Nieuwenhuize
Dummer, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My first visit to Amsterdam, I wanted to be based centrally and certainly Park Plaza's website didn't give me the impression it was anything like central, however, my experience is that the Website over estimated it's travel time from the centre (refreshing) and I found it never took as long as 15 minutes, the shortest time leaving the hotel was 10, the longest was 13 minutes.

The area the hotel was in gave me the impression of high end location, the hotel itself was excellent, my only slight criticism was that I could only find breakfast, I never found dinner served within the hotel, however, reception was excellent at recommending me good places to eat.

The hotel public rooms were very nice, my room was excellent - I managed to get a deal which was a bonus but I'd have been happy to pay full price - although at full price I may have gone for central hotels instead, so it was a happy situation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ChrisR200
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Just arrived back from a 3 week holiday with my boyfriend, three of theses nights were spent at this hotel which was highly dissapointing. This is the first time Ive ever taken the time to write up a review especially considering ive just arrived back home in Australia around 4 hours ago and feel the need to let others know what they could expect. I booked this accomodation approx 5 months before leaving for this trip and from looking at the pics it seemed idlyllic. When checking in the lady at reception informed me that there was no double beds left and me and my boyfriend would be sleeping in two single beds pushed together!! She said that when you book there is no guarantee that you will get what you want as your "sleeping preference!". I was absolutely gob smacked by this and told her I was not happy at all. She called up the house keeper to see if they could arrange a thin mattress to be placed down to fill in the gap but there was none available. The lady at reception then said that if i paid an extra 50 euro per night!! I could upgrade to an executive suite with free breakfast, internet, tram tickets and a drink voucher from the bar. She showed me the two rooms which were average but no way worth and extra 150 euros on top of what I already paid. In the end I chose the room with the two single beds pushed together. Went up to the room and was disgusted as soon as I opened the door!!! the two beds were LUMPY and the room was old and stale. Threw our bags down and decided we needed to get out for a walk to calm down. After a couple of hours we came back and noticed there was no TV in our room (not that we planned to watched any). It was the last straw so we headed back down to reception and spoke to a different lady who without any trouble changed our room to a double bed!!! what we had wanted in the first place!! We opened the door to our new room and were delighted with what we seen!!! we had a nice double bed with a quirky glass bathroom. I would still advise people to stay here because its in a beautiful area of amsterdam. Its within walking distance of everything and out of the busy main center. We had such nice weather that we only used the trams twice. The only thing I would say is it just seems your luck of the draw wither you get a nice and helpful receptionist that is willing to make your stay a pleasant one. I remember seeing a few other guests having problems with that one particular receptionist so my advice is dont settle for anything less and dont pay the money for an upgrade!!!

Room Tip: There are some good and bad rooms in this hotel, dont settle for a grotty one!!
    • 1 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We have just come back from a 3 night break , which sadly was a dissapointment on all counts. The hotel is NOT a 4 star more like a 2. The general decor is dated and tasteless and the room small,grotty, two lumpy single beds pushed together,with two single duvets,clearly not a double bed as requested ! The air-conditioning unit flashed 'change filter' the TV whilst did'nt work came on in the night with a white screen, and the bed wasnt made. BUT this wasnt the reason why our stay was so bad. We had booked weeks ago, the 3 day express package to include a day trip via coach to Floriade, a flower show held once every ten years. We arrived on Sunday, we asked reception staff about when we could go on the trip,and was told that they had'nt heard of the trip,and as the weather forcast was bad for Monday we should go on the Tuesday, but he would let us know that evening,we heard nothing.On Monday morning we again asked reception when we could go and we were told on the Tuesday. Whilst the offer said express direct transfer to Floriade, we did have to make, at our own expense, the trip to Central staion via tram,to meet the coach. On the Monday evening we went to reception to get tickets for trip and was told that we could NOT go as the coach was full ! We were rightly very dissapointed as the ONLY reason for going to Amsterdam was to go to the show as we had been ten years previous. The reception staff were unhelpful and unsympathetic, and reluctant to refund us the money we had paid for a trip we could not go on because they couldnt supply, offering us half price tickets to a museum ! They could not grasp that the ONLY reason for us to be in Amsterdam was Floriade. So at our expense we spent three miserable days, in a grotty hotel and are still waiting for the Manager to get back to us !

1 Thank J V