“was to be expected”

Hotel de Westertoren
Ranked #236 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed October 5, 2010

we stayed there for 1 night excellent position great view breakfast wat we expected friendly staff one compliant the stairs was deadly

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel de Westertoren

Reviewed March 24, 2010

Hotel was overbooked (which seems like a recurring problem) and I was brought to Hotel Galery which was fortunately just a few doors away. Receptionist offered to walk me to the hotel, but did not offer to help me with suitcase down the very very steep stairs.

Once at the Hotel, I was asked to pay upfront, the same rate that I would have paid Westertoren, which I did, only to find the tiny cell I was assigned to had no ensuite shower or TV that was promised by Westertoren. To compound the problem, check-out was 11am, but I could only check in at 12noon. This meant I had to disrupt my day, just to return to the hotel, re-pack, and move to the other hotel. (Note: ask to see room before paying!)

When I went back to Westertoren, I was offered an upgrade. Yet, I still felt short-changed. I paid a high rate for a crap room. Then I had to waste time to manage a problem that they created. The receptionist also asked me to return in an hour to move my luggage. I told him to move it up for me since I did not intend to keep returning to the hotel in a day.

When I returned at 4pm, my luggage was still out in the open - with no one to guard it, neither had it been brought into my room. I found out that my new room was not ready yet. I was asked to wait at the next room for about 15 minutes. After more than 15 minutes, they were still not done yet, and they offered me the room I was in instead.

This new room was noisy - as mentioned. It´s next to a tram line and the bells are pretty, but noisy too. I had a balcony, a nice view, two beds (one double, one single), which did not help me much since I was travelling alone. (Note: I think there are rooms that do not face the main street, try and get those.) I did not get to sleep much on that one night.

This was a complicated review - the place is cheap and location is convenient, but you have to weigh it against what seems to be prevalent problems that occur and whether you wish to spend half a day of your vacation trying to sort out the problems they throw at you.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 18, 2009

Its been a few years since I have stayed at this property. And if ownership has changed maybe its better.

But of the many Amsterdam hotels I have stayed in from 1 star to 5 this is the one I would tell people to stay away from.

Those stairs are truly bad. The breakfast was bad. The coffee awful. The bathroom leaked and had a stench. The shower was like taking a bath. The noise from the street was loud late and loud early. Bring ear plugs. The bells from the church also played into this. The bed was uncomfortable.

The whole room seemed sort of dirty.

The service was not unfriendly more just not all that friendly.

There are much better 1 and 2 star hotels to be had. Some even cheaper.

I would read the reviews for this class of hotel and pick somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MrJohnMd
Reviewed July 6, 2009

Me and my friend travelled from Scotland for a few days, and this hotel was completly up to scratch. The stairs, as others have mentioned, are lethal! I had read about the stairs but nothing can prepare you for them! Staff were friendly, breakfast was good, lovely view - even from the back window - lots of light. We were in room number 8 I think. But yeah, I'll stay again when I'm back in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 25, 2009

We made a booking with Hotel de Westertoren in January for our trip in May. When we got there, they found our file but told us they made a mistake and overbooked the hotel. They sent us to another hotel that they claimed was 300 m away and was their brother hotel.

We had to lug all our luggages back down their severely steep staircases without any assistance. Then we went dragged our suitcases to the location they suggested but could not find the hotel. We had to go back twice to ask the name and the exact location because they got it wrong both times. The hotel was actually 1 mile away.

When we got to the new hotel, we found out that the hotel had no association with Westertoren and had never heard of them. Furthermore, we ended up having to pay more than what we had to pay with Westertoren.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beautifulcruiser
Reviewed February 3, 2009

booked this hotel after reading good reviews, was extremely dubious as it s one star hotel.
first impresion was my goodness they were not exaggerating about steepness of steps, even by amsterdam standards. However you do get used to them but please do not book if you have mobility problems.
the room was very clean but was small our room had double bed and single bed but wouldnt have liked to share with three.
for us we booked for location , just at the back of dam square and round corner for ann frank house.
we aslo picked this over another three star hotel because there were tea/coffee facilities in room. cleaned every day and tea/coffee replenished. staff were exteremely pleasant.
all in all i would recommend this hotel if like us we are never in room (only when we arrive home early hours and crash out!!)
we travel once twice every year to amsterdam but with the exchange rate found it very very expensive this time so take plenty cash.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank scotslassml9
Reviewed April 21, 2008

My friend and I booked Hotel de Westertoren according to the review and our budget. We were greeted by very friendly and helpful staffs who helped us carry our suitcases up the steep stairs. As it was the Easter week, all double rooms were booked up. We, two single women, were given a single room with an extra bed.
The room was beyond tiny; even smaller than budget London hotels. With the added bed and a shower in the room, it left room for one chair and two stand suitcases.
We booked the hotel for 4 nights but ended up staying for only one night cuz it was way too small to stay comfortable.
I would still recommend this hotel for young budget travelers. The location is perfect!! A short 3 minutes walk to Anne Frank’s house and the trendy Jordaan neighborhood. 10-15 mins walk to Central station, Dam Square and Red light district. 15-20 mins walk to the museum area. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The room and shared toilet are super clean and nicely maintained. The bed is very comfortable. I didn’t expect much for the breakfast given the fact that it was considered a budget hotel. But I was impressed by the in-room breakfast which includes toasts/jam/butter/boxed juicy/coffee/boiled egg/yogurt.
I would not recommend physically challenged traveler to stay at this hotel though. As in previous reviews, the stairs are brutal!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)