“Uniquely stylish and very comfortable”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Blue Moon Bed & Breakfast Amsterdam
Ranked #197 of 332 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reading, United Kingdom
“Uniquely stylish and very comfortable”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The communication with Taufik when booking our room was excellent, and he was most helpfull when answering our enquires. At the time of staying Taufik was unavailable but his very friendly neighbour was on hand to welcome us on our arrival

This B & B is located approx 30mins walk from Amsterdam central station, and is over the road from the Rijksmuseum. The front door is a wooden door with a small brass plaque on the side, there are no large signs outside so it does not stand out at first glance.

As Taufik was away we were given a discount as breakfast was not available, we were also given tickets to a boat ride from the nearest dock.

We chose to stay in the contemporary suite and were very happy with the way it looked. There is a bedroom with a seprate living room which are decorated with artistic flair. The bed was incredibly comfortable and was very welcome following our long days walking around Amsterdam.

In the morning the views of the Rijksmuseum out the windows were very beautiful and the street below was reasonably peaceful. We also had access to the roof balcony although this is kept locked after 10pm at night to keep noise to a minimum for the neighbours.

Overall I would thoughroughly recommend staying here, athough as with many places in Amsterdam the steps are very steep and the rooms at the Blue moon are at around 3 flights up.8//9

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Blue Moon is one of those places that are so perfect I hesitate to review so I can keep it all to myself. But the owner / operator Taufik deserves the praise.

As mentioned in previous reviews, the location is directly across the canal from Rijksmuseum, museumplein, and the Van Gogh. It's 5 minute walk to Leidsplein and Vondel Park. Tram stops are very convenient as well. The front faces the street, but our room was in the back and the windows opened onto a very quiet and picturesque canal.

The room we stayed in was spacious and clean. The bathroom seemed to be newly remodeled and had a normal size shower. (not the tiny ones I call "Ballerina" showers because you have to stand in them with your arms over your head and spin.) I have a bad back and didn't have any problems, the bed couldn't have been any more comfortable. There are even clean robes in the closet if you are so inclined. We greatly enjoyed the access to the rooftop terrace that over looks the entire neighborhood and quiet canal.

Taufik (the owner) is very quick with email replies and seems honestly concerned that you enjoy your stay. Two examples... One morning we had problems with the free wifi, but didn't think too much about it and went on with our day -out and about. When we came back late that evening there was a very sincere apologetic note on our door where Taufik had recognized the problem and got it corrected and provided us with the new network info and passwords. Secondly, because we are usually out of the room early and return late Taufik had been unable to contact us in person to ask if we needed anything and if we were enjoying our stay. So he asked one of the neighbors to catch us if he saw us and make sure we had everythng we needed. A very nice gentleman did just that as we left one morning and even he seemed very pleased that we were so happy with our stay.

Not a complaint, but the one caution I have for anyone staying here is you have to be OK with stairs. If you have stayed in this part of Europe before then you have seen the long narrow flights to stairs, Blue Moon is no exception. Taufik met us on the ground floor when we checked in and helped carry up our luggage.

I've already contacted Taufik regarding a return trip.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the canal is very quiet even with the windows open.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 42MarkB
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 3, 2012

We stayed at the blue moon in Feb this year. I had trawled through countless websites trying to find a hotel within our budget in a good location. Stumbled upon blue moon and was impressed with the website. Taufik was quick with his replies and the price was perfect. He was away that week so gave us a discount for bed only (no breakfast).
Was let into the suite by his neighbour who was extremely helpful! Gave us all the details we needed and a handy map.
Blue moon is in the perfect location. 5 min from Leidsplein where there are good restaurants and bars. BOJO (indonesian) is a definite must. 15 min walk down the main shopping and tourist areas to dam square. Quaint antique shops round the corner are great for a browse.
5 minutes to De Pijp (away from the centre) which is less touristy but has some really good restaurants especially restaurant De Ondeugd.
Opposite the Rijks museum and very near van gogh museum. All in all, central yet away from all the tourist traps!
We did not have breakfast included but there was an excellent organic supermarket downstairs that had everything you needed.
The rate included a complimentary 75 min canal cruise which was great!
I would recommend blue moon to anyone who would enjoy having the experience of amsterdam as if you were a local in a comfortable suite and great location. I would definitely stay here again when we return.

Room Tip: The contemporary suite has a good view and comfortable sitting room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank j s
Orlando, FL, USA
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Let me start by saying two things: (1) I always read tons of reports before I finally choose a place, and (2) this was a last-minute vacation.

I have been to Amsterdam a few times, but this was my partner's first trip. We just wanted to get away for a week. Yes, we wanted to do some touristy things, but mostly we wanted to be in cooler summer weather (we live in Florida) and we wanted to take it easy walking along the canals, eating out, and being on vacation.

Houses in Amsterdam are old, narrow buildings, one right up against the next. Blue Moon is one of these buildings. We think the whole building has 5 floors on it, but we're not sure. It has 2 places for rent: the Contemporary Suite and the Nouveau Suite.

We had the Nouveau Suite, and we loved our place. It was perfect for what we wanted. It had a big bedroom, a bathroom, and a separate sitting room. I'll try to paint a picture. You open the door into a small foyer perhaps 8 ft by 4 ft and see two doors. One door is your bedroom with the bath, and the other is the sitting room.

Both rooms have huge windows overlooking the street below and the park and canal across the street. Just beyond that are the museums. These windows were important for us because we slept with them wide open at night because the July temperatures were only in the upper 60s, which we loved.

FYI: It can be hot in summer and there is no air conditioning. This is not a complaint; it is a fact. I get so tired of people complaining that it was hot in the summer. (Duh... summer... hot...) but we were lucky with the cooler temps, and we used the fan, too. [NOTE: If you want a hermetically sealed room, go to a chain hotel.]

This is not a chain hotel; you are in a real Dutch house/building. You will have to walk up STEEP stairs. (51 steps in fact to get to our room!).

We were very well taken care of during our week. We asked for help with an adaptor so I could use my Apple Computer and were quickly given the right apparatus. We asked for a blanket and were given a blanket. We asked for info on restaurants and were given information.

We like B&Bs, but you should know that we felt Blue Moon was more like a cross between having your own apartment and having a true B&B experience. We travel a lot, and we have stayed in B&Bs and in apartments -- and try to avoid hotel chains when possible because we want to meet locals. We have nothing but positive things to say about Blue Moon.

The location of the place is excellent. If you have ever been to Amsterdam, you know that it is FULL of tourists and young backpackers who are suddenly facing legalized marijuana cafes and glass brothels, and you can imagine the mayhem. We are very happy to report that Blue Moon's location is just right -- away from all that nonsense (we don't smoke) but close enough to the touristy stuff. PLUS it's only a few blocks from open-air marketplaces where REAL Amsterdamers shop for their goods.

I'll repeat my introduction: I am an analyzer who reads tons of reports before making a hotel selection. Blue Moon is a GREAT destination. It has wireless (email junkie here!), a great location, and a very good price. You will be helped as much as you want to be helped, and you'll be given a key plus instructions for everything.

This one is a no-brainer, and I know that we will DEFINITELY be staying here again on our next trip.

PS Restaurants: Leave the hotel, turn right, and walk to the square: Leidesplein. There are many restaurants there. Be prepared for different types of food: Argentinean steaks (expensive), pasta (can be cheap), Indian (good), etc, but the best value we found in a Dutch restaurant (we saw only ONE!!!) in this Ledesplein area on a side street. The best lunch values were back in the Albert Cuyp Market, which is close to the hotel but a few blocks the other direction.

Room Tip: We did not see the Contemporary Suite, so we can't comment on that room. We liked our room fine...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank orlandotennis
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My better half and I stayed at the Blue Moon for a weekend in late June, to celebrate her birthday. We were on an early flight into amsterdam on a Saturday, and it was simplicity itself to find. A short train journey from Schipol to Central Station, then a choice of 3 trams to get us within a few minuteswalk of our lovely accommodation.
Our room had a nice view over a small park to the Rijksmuseum, the adjacent sitting room had a fridge to store our alcohol, and the roof terrace was the perfect place to drink it, with a lovely sunny aspect and great views. Our host met us as arranged, patiently answered our questions,advised us on dining out/sightseing etc and provided wine glasses!
The weather was glorious, and we spent our time strolling the streets, took the obligatory canal cruise and had a fascinating 4 hour walking tour.
We enjoyed it so much we are returning to the Blue Moon again in late August, this time for museums...unless it is warm & sunny again, when we shall take full advantage of the roof terrace for pre-dinner drinks.
Did I mention how quiet it was, away from the hubbub of the centre, yet only minutes by tram.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HectorsHouseCumbria
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband rented a room for a week in April. Actually, it turned out to be two rooms. There was a sitting room and a seperate bedroom and bath. Both rooms had windows that looked out over a serene park and on the otherside of the park was the Rikks Museum and the Van Gogh Museum. This was a perfect location near many parks, restaurants and tram stops. Just about everything is in walking distance. There was even a roof top desk that looked out on a canal. Very romantic at night.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Texasstarr
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 21, 2010

I wanted to stay at a B&B on my most recent 4-day trip that I took to Amsterdam, so I chose the Blue Moon mainly based on the presentation of their website, including photos of the two suites. I have to say that the location worked out well for my mate and me. We were able to walk to the Van Gogh Museum, which was just blocks away, as well as to Leiden Square to partake in its many food, drink, and club offerings. We stayed in the Contemporary Suite, which is the suite facing the street. The suite was a good size and had a separate “sitting area”, which was a wonderful place to eat breakfast in the morning. The proprietor, Taufik, was simply wonderful, accommodating, thoughtful, and attentive -- we could not have asked for a better host. There is truth in the other reviews of this B&B, so I won’t repeat them here, but overall, I do recommend this B&B to any traveler, except those who have any physical disabilities/impairments or the elderly would have problems negotiating the very steep 2 flights of steps up to the Blue Moon suites.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple