“Do not book it!”

Ibis Styles Amsterdam City
Ranked #143 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Room very small for a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids). Too much noise, impossible to sleep early in the morning. Very bad choice! Do not book it! And the price is too high for too many disapointing things.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank marcio350

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This hotel has a very convenient location and lovely view of the canal. The stairs were a bit tricky. You need to watch out for the cyclists - they tend to ignore pedestrians whether they have right of way or not.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Frances108
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I had a terrible stay at this hotel. I only stayed one night - and I thoroughly regret it.
The worst of it.... My mobile phone was stolen from the room. I didn't notice until I checked out that it wasn't with my belongings. When I returned to the hotel, thinking maybe I left it there (because there was no other opportunity for it to have gone missing since checking out) they told me they would look for it and get back to me. I heard nothing from them.

The next morning I return to the hotel to ask for an update. A different receptionist is there called Melody. Ridicules me for asking for an update, saying that maybe I lost my phone in the shower!! Then tries to say that she is making a joke. Pretends to make a phone call to another collegue to see if they looked for the phone.

Finally they tell me they know nothing about the phone , and there is nothing they can do to help me.

Very suspicious, very rude staff, in a mediocre hotel, that is not worth the money IMO especially with the tiny breakfast room, with a poor breakfast.

In addition, I have sent numerous e-mail to accor about this whole situation and received no reply, and I am supposed to be a silver member of their loyalty programme which doesn't make any difference.

STAY CLEAR would be my advice!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank lbtrips_84
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Not a great hotel, room was OK, shower was smelly, so housekeeping was lacking. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is that after a couple hours after I checked out I remembered I had left my phone in the room, I asked to go back and retrieve it but the receptionist said that she would have housekeeping go get it...... I waited..... And they came back and told me they could not find it!! I spoke with a manager who said the phone was NOT in the room.... But would give me a call when they would go back and look.
I never got the Call....

I returned the next morning to see if they had checked again, and i was confronted by (probably) the rudest woman (the French receptionist) I have ever met ... And was told some gobbledegook about "our housekeeping would never take 'stuff'... " and was sent away. In the end the phone is gone - and we are left REALLY ANGRY because of the attutide of some junior staff. I said the the receptionist and the housekeeping guy, if their attitude towards us had been better, then maybe we would have believed they were honest people. But their crap attitude (which probably is a good reflection of the hotel) gives the impression that the hotel is crap too, and they are dishonest.

Why does Ibis not care about this..? The hospitality industry is all about service, its not even that the hotel is cheap.
Really for a few euro's more, go to a holiday Inn or an independant hotel.. Do not book here and 'pull yourself together Ibis'!!!
BTW we went to stay in the Sir Albert hotel which was a much nicer hotel.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Bykergyal
Reviewed June 12, 2013

location is good, though intensif traffic road ; not a warm welcome; poor elevator; stairway is not useable. spotted sheets with blood spots; greasy shower soap bottles; nice breakfast, no parking facility although it is foreseen; next time we will choose another hotel. expensive stay for poor facilities and accomodation in general

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The family room was very small, no small fridge provided. Table is very small, that it only accommodate to a one plate. But the location is good for a family who needs quiet place.
The french lady receptionist was very accommodating. And also, the people at the restaurant. I think the hotel rate is expensive.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 40Ross
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Granted this is a hotel in a narrow historic building with consequentially small, somewhat noisy rooms (if you want the windows open) we had a room that had everything we needed for a three night stay. Space to unpack was limited but we had a decent bathroom and shower, comfy bed, air con, wi-fi, TV and a decent breakfast with free tea and coffee in reception. There was even a street waffle left for us in the room on day 2.
This hotel also has a new elevator, dated 2013, so previous reviews warning about steep steps (true) and no elevator are now factually out of date.
They will hold luggage, too, if you have a late flight apparently..
Finally got although away from the main drag, it us well located for canal trips, a market, museums and trams.

Room Tip: 119. Smallish, but with a street view. Comfy.