WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam

Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam
Ranked #163 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel but a little tired”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

We had originally booked into the 3 star Eden hotel but were upgraded to the 4 star Hampshire, so we were grateful. However, as I am compelled to write about the Hampshire, I must give an honest opinion.

Its location, in my opinion, is just the best, its in a n area that is full of activity and in walking distance to Dam Square, Centraal, the shopping district etc. We choose this hotel mainly due to the location.

We had booked two rooms and on arrival at 10am we were glad to find that both rooms were immediately available. Although we had done the booking a couple of months in advance it would have been nice to have both rooms on the same floor,but this is a minor issue. Simiilalry they could have tried to at least give us one room with a view (instead we got courtyard views) The room(s) were a little tired in decor and in need of a deep clean. The carpets could do with a wash and the walls some paint. Three light bulbs were not working in one of our rooms (two in the other). Overall a deep clean would just make that little difference. However this should not put anyone off as the rooms are relatively clean (just tired).

The television/channels were bait of a let down for a 4 start hotel, not a single channel in any other language but dutch / german. There was no international news channel either which is disappointing as its often nice to just catch up on the news at the end/start of the day.

Have read about staff being unpleasant or about noise, to be honest each and every member of staff we cam across was pleasant and helpful. As for the noise, its nothing more than you would get in any city centre hotel close to clubs and bars (I do wish people would do their research and stop moaning).

As for facilities there is not much in the hotel, but I'm sure there are more interesting hints to do in Amsterdam than staying back in the hotel...

overall it needs to work a little harder on maintenance, deep clean and it will reach its 4 star rating.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Clivethegreat
Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us.
The comments have been forwarded to the team and it would be a great pleasure to welcome you back as our guest!

The management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

There are easily better hotels to stay in in Amsterdam. Here's what happened to me: As soon as I entered my room I smelled cigarette smoke. I called the front desk to let them know and some clod of a guy came up and told me that he didn't smell anything and that if I did smell something I should "open the window". This was really priceless. Then he even suggested that the smell might be the take-away salad that was in my room. He was totally lacking in any kind of feeling of accommodation.

Later that night I asked to be "let out" of the third and final night of my reservation. Flatly refused. The rooms are pretty awful, more like a dorm room than a hotel room. And the beds!! Child-sized twin beds with foam rubber mattresses. It was a complete joke. I sensed consternation from one of the other guests in the reception area as well. Expedia was wonderful in giving me a $100 coupon. This experience will teach me to do my homework more. It was a last minute booking. Otherwise, enjoy Amsterdam!

Room Tip: Mediocre part of Amsterdam, totally unprofessional staff.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank JLambert_Aloha
Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your experience with us. I am sorry to read we did not meet your expectations. We constantly work on improving our service and standards. We do hope that this will not deter you from visiting us in the future.

The management

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Troon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

Arrived Friday early evening, checked in and room looked ok. Saw that door to bathroom only was closed half way across and assumed that it slid over fully and thought nothing more of it as we were heading straight out. Upon returning in the early hours imagine our surprise to learn that it should in fact be saloon doors (made of glass) and that the left hand side one was totally missing, meaning there was no privacy whatsoever when going to the toilet. Given the time of day (circa 1am) we decided to leave it until the morning before bringing to management attention when checking out. Met chambermaid on way to reception and she informed us that the door had been missing for TWO DAYS, meaning this hotel knew exactly what standard of room they were putting us into. Passed from pillar to post at reception before a manager, asked us to move aside (as reception was busy to discuss the matter with us). His idea of discussing the matter was to highlight that we had booked through an agent, paid in advance, had received a preferential rate, and in short was not prepared to do anything about it. The lack of professionalism demonstrated by him and his staff was in total contrast to what we experienced elsewhere in our break in Holland. It appeared as if his attitude was simply, you got a bargain on the room (if £100+ for a night represents a bargain) and that we could get lost.
Think manager's name might have been Thomas....anyway I promised him a review of his hotel so here it goes. Over priced, faulty room , poor sound proofing, ignorant staff and arrogant management. I would not contemplate returning to this hotel on a point of principle even if offered a free room.
P.S. Hotel is NOT on Rembrandt Square as advertised, but down a side street close to it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much in taking the time writing a review, it is only through guest comments such as yours that we can constantly improve our service. I am sorry we did need meet your expectations and I apologise for not giving you the attention you deserve as a guest during check in. We do hope this will not deter you from visitng us.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

The bugger on the toilet wall is also not a pleasant view to see, luckily I didn't see any hair in the bathroom.
I think that chamber maids must be seriously busy and must lack of time or motivation.

Luckily the bedding was very fresh and mattress supportive enough and comfortable.
The reception and reception staff were nice, smiling and helpful.
I also liked the breakfast, the glasses could be cleaner especially that they are so nicely highlighted place or maybe they were just dusty, judge yourself.

The towels were replaced even though I didn’t put them in the bath, They have had idea of hanging the information "if you forgot something for bathroom ask us and we are happy to provide you with...", but they didn't think of saving the money by changing the towels only when necessary (practice of putting the dirty towels into the bath)
On request provided iron hasn’t had steaming option hence it was quite useless for mu polyester shirt as without it I was too afraid to use the water on the questionably clean ironing board.

If not the fact I have had wifi internet access in my room, the bedding was fresh and I luckily didn't see any hair in bathroom or toilet I would definitely ask for a different room.

Room Tip: Fifth floor quarantees some day light and no street noise noted
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Krzysztof B
Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 30, 2014

Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

It's not a long walk from Centraal Station. The rooms are big, and are very up to date. The place has a very modern and boutique feel to it. It's in a quieter part of town but that's not to say that there is nothing going on in Rembrandt Square!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank xJEFFROx
Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your compliments.
We are glad to hear that you had a perfect stay.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed once before in this hotel and had a really nice experience despite the breakfast being over priced to say the least... (18€ for couple of eggs, salty bacon and a couple of tiny pastries... definitely overpriced.. ) despite this little thing I decided to stay again to my regret. I was put in a room on the first floor and I didn't sleep a wink due to the very noisy street with non stop cars, trams and people shouting even on a monday night.. I had to request earplugs at 1.30am... not the best experience... if you are above the street noise 3,4,5 floor its a lovely place.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampshire Hotels

1 Thank Erwane2222
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments.
We look forward to welcome you again.

Vienna
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

only the tv remote was not working correctly
the hotel was clean, friendly and price was ok, i was surprised
short distance to the DNB
nice for trips in the city and sightseeing and shopping
thanks a lot

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampshire Hotels

Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us.
We had several problems this period with our tv channels, so this is correct.
After all we hope to welcome you again with your next visit.